FAFSA as a graduate student...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mandak

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

I am 22 and will be starting a fully funded clinical PhD program this Fall. The past 4 years I filled out FAFSA as a not-married, dependent student with no income and provided my mother's tax information. I am slightly confused as to whether I should fill out FAFSA and if anything is different from when I filled it out throughout undergrad. Any information on this would be extremely helpful!

Members don't see this ad.

If you want loans for grad school and sometimes scholarships you need to fill it out annually. It doesn't hurt to fill it out anyway as you can always not choose to receive whatever is offered later.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are planning on applying for federal student aid, then yes, you'll need to complete a FAFSA. The difference is that generally, as a graduate student, you're no longer required to file as dependent.

Is there any benefit to putting parent information? I have heard that it provides need-based grants/scholarships which I always received in undergrad, however, this is a fully funded program so I don't know if the same rules apply...?

Is there any benefit to putting parent information? I have heard that it provides need-based grants/scholarships which I always received in undergrad, however, this is a fully funded program so I don't know if the same rules apply...?

Double-check with your financial aid office and/or the FAFSA folks to be sure you're eligible, but if your parents earn more money than you, applying as independent would likely be to your benefit.

Reactions: 1 user