Failed 2nd Year.....Awaiting Action from Promotions Committee

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zach_Strommier1986

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll try and keep this short. Any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated. I currently attend a U.S. state medical school. I high passed all my courses 1st year. Unfortunately, I ended up failing all of my courses during 2nd year (ALL of them). As a result of failing 2 courses during my 1st semester of 2nd year, I fell into a depression on top of dealing with relationship issues with an ex-fiancé and also having to move back home with my parents and thus failed all of my 2nd semester 2nd year courses. Anyway, 2nd year is now over and student affairs notified me that the promotions committee will be meeting in a couple of weeks and I will be called to stand before them to answer any questions and plead my case. Student affairs told me not to worry and that the best case scenario is to repeat 2nd year. However, I'm terrified that I could possibly be dismissed. I know exactly what happened to me and would like nothing more than too be given a 2nd chance to show my true potential and passion for medicine. Has anyone ever heard of someone failing all a year's courses and being allowed to re mediate?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Don't ever listen to student affairs.

I don't think people with 0 posts should be allowed to make threads anymore. They always make the lamest threads about failing and remediation.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think people with 0 posts should be allowed to make threads anymore. They always make the lamest threads about failing and remediation.

Maybe they are desperate and looking for help anywhere they can find it?

I have heard of people repeating 1st/2nd year. I am not sure how many courses they had failed though. I hope everything works out for you OP

Grow up.

Reactions: 2 users
Is that your real name? Cuz if so...is strongly recommend changing your handle and/or deleting your post

Lol name plus birthday. All he's missing is the last 4 of his social.

Reactions: 1 users
I'll try and keep this short. Any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated. I currently attend a U.S. state medical school. I high passed all my courses 1st year. Unfortunately, I ended up failing all of my courses during 2nd year (ALL of them). As a result of failing 2 courses during my 1st semester of 2nd year, I fell into a depression on top of dealing with relationship issues with an ex-fiancé and also having to move back home with my parents and thus failed all of my 2nd semester 2nd year courses. Anyway, 2nd year is now over and student affairs notified me that the promotions committee will be meeting in a couple of weeks and I will be called to stand before them to answer any questions and plead my case. Student affairs told me not to worry and that the best case scenario is to repeat 2nd year. However, I'm terrified that I could possibly be dismissed. I know exactly what happened to me and would like nothing more than too be given a 2nd chance to show my true potential and passion for medicine. Has anyone ever heard of someone failing all a year's courses and being allowed to re mediate?

Most schools (if not all) will make you remediate. It looks really bad for a school to have students not graduate and they receive less funding from outside sources. Schools usually do everything they can do to make sure you graduate - these promotion committees are usually scare tactics so that you realize how serious this is. You have to figure out what you did wrong during the year and make sure personal issues don't interfere with your academic career.

This board has horrible moderation. 10 replies in this thread and only one or two of them on-topic, the others are garbage posts.

Anyway TC, plead your best and let them know what happened. Just make sure you've moved past your demons and you're ready and willing to fully commit to another try. The benefit here is, you've at least had a run at the second year material so with good focus you should be able to knock this out.

This board has horrible moderation. 10 replies in this thread and only one or two of them on-topic, the others are garbage posts.

Anyway TC, plead your best and let them know what happened. Just make sure you've moved past your demons and you're ready and willing to fully commit to another try. The benefit here is, you've at least had a run at the second year material so with good focus you should be able to knock this out.

I think the moderation on this board is apt. It allows a free range of ideas and open thinking about how to approach different threads and queries. Much like Team Based Learning.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)

You know how you're always criticizing guys who post here who objectify women? This comment makes your criticism kind of hypocritical.

If it isn't obvious what I mean, the people I'm referring to that you criticize are actively conveying their lack of empathy, which is exactly what you're doing in this comment.

2. This actually has very little to do with lack of empathy. These people with their 0 posts inundate the board with woeful tales that half the time I don't even believe to be true. If it was a member even mildly involved on SDN wishing to express some need for support, that would be entirely different and I could share in their reality. These seem like trolls. At least the Areola was amusing and light-hearted.

You realize a lot of times these posts come from long-time posters who make a 2nd screen name to try and increase their anonymity, right?

I don't really have an issue with these posts, as these folks are desperate and don't know where else to turn for help. Not that we can offer them a miracle solution...but that's kind of the whole point of these boards...to provide help and support for people going through the medical training process, from start to finish. If you don't want to hear about peoples' troubles in medical school, I'd suggest reading less of allo, and more of the lounge.

Reactions: 5 users
Why does every thread on this forum turn into Anastomoses' life?

I find it hard to believe that the promotions committee waited until the end of your 2nd year to have this "talk" with you. Maybe your school runs differently. But at mine, if you fail two courses, you are asked to remediate. Your school should have intervened WAY earlier in this progression of events.

I also find it hard to believe that you didn't take any action after failing the first course, or second course. Did you ask for a leave of absence? Have you talked to a psychiatrist?

2. This actually has very little to do with lack of empathy. These people with their 0 posts inundate the board with woeful tales that half the time I don't even believe to be true. If it was a member even mildly involved on SDN wishing to express some need for support, that would be entirely different and I could share in their reality. These seem like trolls. At least the Areola was amusing and light-hearted.
Figures that you would be more empathetic towards a real troll and callous towards one asking for help. You seem to have the empathy of a hedge fund manager selling subprime mortgages, than a med student becoming a doctor.

Last edited:
I find it hard to believe that the promotions committee waited until the end of your 2nd year to have this "talk" with you. Maybe your school runs differently. But at mine, if you fail two courses, you are asked to remediate. Your school should have intervened WAY earlier in this progression of events.

I also find it hard to believe that you didn't take any action after failing the first course, or second course. Did you ask for a leave of absence? Have you talked to a psychiatrist?
Believe me I'm wondering the same thing. After failing fall, I was told I would have to at least repeat the entire year but still had to continue spring classes. So I was taking spring classes even though I knew I would have to repeat them and the entire 2nd year regardless how I did in them. Failing more than one class automatically means you have to repeat the entire year if not dismissed that is

1. You're really really stretching if you think it's asking a lot/being a hypocrite for men not to objectify the other half of their society for merely having vaginas and boobies while still not empathizing with every single human plight.
We love em for the schadenfreude! Keep them coming I say.

Believe me I'm wondering the same thing. After failing fall, I was told I would have to at least repeat the entire year but still had to continue spring classes. So I was taking spring classes even though I knew I would have to repeat them and the entire 2nd year regardless how I did in them. Failing more than one class automatically means you have to repeat the entire year if not dismissed that is

Weird. Did they just want your spring tuition out of it then? I have no idea. Anyways, I would get your psychiatrist onboard.

You are insufferable. Let's make more threads of the you-Ark person circle jerk about stupid non-relevant topics, instead of trying to help out a fellow med student at an important cross roads in his/her life.

OP, all I would add is that make sure when you go in front of the committee, you have thought through all your short comings, explain them cogently, take responsibility and present a plan for success moving forward. I think that's probably the best way you can convince them to let you remediate. Good luck, I hope it works out for you.

In this case, IMO you should shut your mouth and not be a callous a-hole. If you don't like the topic of the thread, read the OP and click back to the general forum. SDN is one of the few places people in OP's situation can come and post stuff anonymously (although OP may have skipped that last bit).

OP - First off, you need a new username (if your name is actually your username). Second off, there isn't a whole lot you can do at this point directly regarding your grades. I would talk to a psychiatrist and get him/her to diagnose you with depression, start you on meds (or claim that you're better) and incorporate this into your review. As others have said, the school will likely give you a second chance (and let you repeat the year). Understand the importance of what you've gone through and get your act together for the next school year.

We love em for the schadenfreude! Keep them coming I say.
I never could suffer Jerry Springer, personally. :) Seeing the misery of others who pretend not to be able to help themselves is exhausting.

Why does every thread on this forum turn into Anastomoses' life?
No idea. I started about how people with 0 posts always make these weird remediation failure posts and someone started calling me a hypocrite and started attacking my personal values. Weird, huh.

Figures that you would be more empathetic towards a real troll and callous towards one asking for help. You seem to have the empathy of a hedge fund manager selling subprime mortgages, than a med student becoming a doctor.
Thanks, I guess?

You sound like a real joy to be around.

I swear Ark and Anastamoses take over 96 % of SDN threads.

OP if you are serious about continuing, you need to have your depression and anything else to possibly explain your fall documented. I will say that looking at it from the outside, I think doing well your 1st year should help you out in the eyes of the people making the decision. Everyone goes through hard times, and you can clearly perform outside of those times. Therefore, the goal is to get back up, get back to what you were doing and move on.

I swear Ark and Anastamoses take over 96 % of SDN threads.
You've taken over quite a few yourself with your bumbling arguments. You're just here less. And I only post in Allo, so you need to work on your stats.

You've taken over quite a few yourself with your bumbling arguments. You're just here less. And I only post in Allo, so you need to work on your stats.

Have you ever entertained the thought that there is a reason people criticize what you post so frequently? You might benefit from looking in the mirror and considering why people post what they do, instead of automatically getting defensive. Nobody is perfect, but the lack of empathy you have demonstrated in this thread is concerning and something that you should address, assuming you intend on treating human beings for a living.

Have you ever entertained the thought that there is a reason people criticize what you post so frequently? You might benefit from looking in the mirror and considering why people post what they do, instead of automatically getting defensive. Nobody is perfect, but the lack of empathy you have demonstrated in this thread is concerning and something that you should address, assuming you intend on treating human beings for a living.

Right on the edge of Burnett's law I see.

1. It would not come as any surprise to me that I'm considered less empathetic than the average person. Even the empathy I will be exhibiting to patients will probably 9 times out of 10 be a courtesy to their need for it and not actual empathy. So...yeah. There's that. And the real shocker is that I'll probably seem better at it than you. Patients already smile and defer to me when their real doctor is talking to them (not to be arrogant about it but I'm sure I'm not going to hear the end of that one). And I will excellently take care of patients - so now that the care of my future patients is out of the way...

2. I'm not perfect. Nothing I've said suggests I think so. I do believe most of these are troll posts - clearly I'm in the minority with this opinion. So continue helping and healing and I'll try to stay out of your way when these people post their dilemmas. Fair enough?

3. To read some of the responses, you'd think I'd actually directly addressed the OP's situation and told him to murder his father, sleep with his mother and kill himself.

You are quite close on your way to be being banned. Tread carefully, Areola.

scrubs-i-told-you-so-o.gif

Any accredited US medical school will have some kind of handbook which lays out the rules and procedures for cases just like this. You can rest assured that they will follow it to the letter. Whatever the policy is regarding failing and remediation, that's what will happen for you (assuming you've told the whole story). I would view the promotion committee meeting as a formality since they will simply follow the policy and focus more on how exactly you plan to improve for next year. Obviously tackling any psychiatric and/or substance use issues is crucial. Beyond that, don't let yourself fall prey to the idea that you would have passed if only you had worked harder earlier on and not failed those first classes/not been depressed/etc. I can think of someone who failed M1 and thought like this. Passed M1 on his second try only to fail M2 for the same reason. Try and meet with faculty you trust and respect and figure out what you can do to improve; don't assume a second attempt and a better mood will be enough. Remember: you have Step 1 and all of M3 ahead as well and you'll need to be on your game.

What I would like to know, is if things like "I was depressed" or "I had relationship issues" are seldom considered a legitimate excuse for poor grades in undergrad when applying to medical school, how would it be any different for poor grades IN medical school? Just my two cents.

What I would like to know, is if things like "I was depressed" or "I had relationship issues" are seldom considered a legitimate excuse for poor grades in undergrad when applying to medical school, how would it be any different for poor grades IN medical school? Just my two cents.

A couple of reasons off the top of my head: they want your tuition money and it looks bad on the school to have a high attrition rate, so they do whatever they can to make sure you graduate.

Yes, once you're in medical school you've shown some previous consistency or excellence. It's a form of credit.

Bc the literature has well-established the acceleration of depression/anxiety issues in the medical student population in general - nearly 30%. That's a ridiculously high rate in comparison to the general population.

If you fail in undergrad, you retake the course. If you fail in med school, you have to remediate regardless of your mental health, physical health or relationship troubles. If you fail again, you will probably be kicked out. It's not like they let you pass with a failing grade b/c you have depression or relationship trouble. I think the standards are the same, if not more strict.

Last edited:

They aren't considered "legitimate excuses" if someone has not taken any actions to try and address the issues.

There was a poster here a couple months ago who failed second year - he attributed it to a "one time" depression that was situational due to a relationship issue and he felt he was all better. He had not even seen a psychiatrist at the time of his hearing. Guess what - he didn't get to remediate, he got the boot.

Now if someone has recognized that there is a problem, acknowledged it, sought help and tried to take corrective action - that's a different story.

A couple of reasons off the top of my head: they want your tuition money and it looks bad on the school to have a high attrition rate, so they do whatever they can to make sure you graduate.

You would hope so. DO schools are more forgiving than MD schools