Failed a class twice can I still apply??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gstead245

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took a year of bio, in my second quarter they split the bio class in two where its mcdb and eemb (evolution), I took eemb and failed with a D in the class. Took it summer again and failed with D in the class again. When I calculate all the required units it is 12 units, not including the eemb class. I am waiting for a response from podiatry school, but freaking out atm. What is your guys thoughts? Its evolution of species.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm assuming you are in this cycle of application. Failing a class can be okay if you keep on retaking it, but having a D is not acceptable for admission or even on the application. You have to achieve a C and above to meet the requirements for most schools. If you are in the application cycle now, the school will not accept the D and will revoke your acceptance if that's the case. Now, this is not absolute and is on a case by case, but most schools will do that. Contact the school and ask them about it.

worst case scenario if they say no, can taking a short masters program and doing well can get me in despite getting a D twice in intro bio?

Members don't see this ad :)
worst case scenario if they say no, can taking a short masters program and doing well can get me in despite getting a D twice in intro bio?

Retake the course. No need to take on a masters to waste your years and money, unless you need to boost up your GPA for admission or to prove yourself. Remember all requisites (credit hours in Biology, Chemistry, Physics, etc.) need a C or better for admission. No way of getting around that.

yeah, one thing im worried is that since i took it twice they wont let me retake it a 3rd time. if thats the case that would really suck. i dont know what i would do at that point

Last edited:
Not trying to be an internet bully but perhaps you should re-evaluate your goals. Podiatry school will be much harder than undergraduate class work. Will having such severe issues w/ an undergraduate class translate to success in podiatry school? It may be time to realistically adjust your goals or at minimum address why you continue to fail and fix that issue. Worry about applying and being accepted after this is fixed, if you choose to continue down the podiatry path. I hate to see people barely squeak into admission only to see them leave a few years later with tons of debt. Think carefully!

Reactions: 1 users
I also do not mean to come off as a real "prick" or "naysayer", however after reading a few of your posts it seems as though you don't really know what it is you want to do and perhaps are just trying to get into something/ anything that brings with it some sort of entitlement. As ToeTickler323 has just stated Podiatric Medical School is a huge commitment and something you are going to have to dedicate your entire life too, I would make sure first off regardless of grades, etc. that you first find yourself and make sure this is really what you want to do for the rest of your life. If Podiatry is something you are truly passionate about then I believe the rest will follow as far as success both in and out of school is concerned, because like anything else in life when you want something bad enough you are willing to do whatever it takes to achieve it. The entry stats for POD medical students are lower heavily due to the lack of public knowledge overall on the profession therefore leading to a smaller applicant pool which in turn lowers the incoming statistics. Do not let this fool you into believing that Pod Med School itself will be any less demanding then MD/DO or other professional schools, because if you do I believe that is when you find yourself in trouble and it will proceed to "chew you up and spit you out" with tons of debt followed closely behind you. I do not meant to come off as rude I just hope that your choosing Podiatry for the right reasons and have a passion for it because that is one of the key ways in which this profession will continue to grow in the forward direction is by the continuing growth of both the knowledge and passion of its future applicants. With all that being said I too believe that first you need to address and fix this issue as to why it is you keep failing then move forward from there. Good Luck with everything!

Reactions: 2 users
I agree to the above (ToeTickler and T13ones) and I too want to add something to that. If you think undergraduate classes are challenging now, you need to assess on your progress because podiatry school will be 2-3 times as hard and at a roller-coaster pace, not a go-cart pace. Failure in classes will only slow you down and it's taken more seriously in podiatry school, they can kick you out. Getting into podiatry school is easy, but staying in is hard. Podiatry is NOT easy. Make sure you know what you are getting into before you do it. Now, for the failed class you are struggling with, what is your school's policy on failing twice? Can you retake it? You definitely should know this! Fix this problem first and then proceed.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Everyone keeps saying that you must have a C or better in prereqs. Does a C- complete this requirement. Also, where did you guys find this info? I have contacted AACPM directly and they have no minimum grade for prereqs and I can also not find that info online for schools...

It's definitely a C or better at most (if not all) Pod schools. Go directly to their websites and usually it clearly states that under admission requirements. The AACPM won't know that information, they just handle the applications.

should i retake that intro bio class at another college?

It's definitely a C or better at most (if not all) Pod schools. Go directly to their websites and usually it clearly states that under admission requirements. The AACPM won't know that information, they just handle the applications.

So strange. I have not been able to find any of this info online...I will definitely call the 9 schools and find out for sure what the policy is on this.

So strange. I have not been able to find any of this info online...I will definitely call the 9 schools and find out for sure what the policy is on this.

Their websites will not say you need a C or better, but it is required for all requisites. Contact the school if you are unsure. At one time, I felt I couldn't handle Physics II and contacted Scholl and OCPM (now Kent) about what they accept, and they both stated that all requisites must be no lower than a C for admission. I was scared so I studied very hard after that, and ended up getting a B in Physics.

Hmm I am confused on what to do, I called a couple of schools they said I am good. Ideally I would rather just take it and not have to worry or have more options to apply to more schools, however I am confused on what class would cover it since I am switching from quarter system to semester system.