Failed a test...WHAT TO DO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MarioKart

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

To my extreme dissappointent, I just found out that I have received an F on a test for the first time in my whole college career. To say I am shocked would be an understatement. It's in an upper level tough bio course, and the tests are always very tricky. Up until now (imma sophomore) I have maintained a solid 4.0 in my classes and seeing this has literally caused me to rethink my whole choice of becoming a doctor. I have done so well in my other science classes and English and humanities and I don't know where I went wrong. It's like I had never seen these questions before. We have our MIDTERM on Monday and I am looking for ways to get back up SDN. I still have a b+ in the class, but feel so depressed that I actually allowed this to happen. Im thinking maybe I did not study hard enough? I have a fear that I'll also fail the midterm and have no motivation to study

Anyway, I am not looking for sympathy or study strategies; I am simply looking for words of motivation to help me get back up. I don't even want to do anything school related since seeing this because I keep thinking, what's the point? It sounds so ridiculous but I really am doubting how well I will do since the material will only get harder from here on out. Any words of encouragement for failing a test??? Any premeds been through the same thing, and what helped YOU get back up and reclaim your confidence? Thanks guys

Members don't see this ad.

When you fail, there's nothing left to do but pick up the scraps, learn from your mistakes, and move on. It's a good mindset to have and helps ease the pain of failing at anything, especially an exam.

Reactions: 2 users
Quitting won't get you where you want to go. Keep studying!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I failed a test like two days ago lol. First thing's first: decouple your grades from your ego. What I mean is don't let your GPA, much less a single grade on a single exam influence how you feel about yourself as a person.

Second: figure out how to do better. Tests are rarely outright unfair (although I can think of one or two I've taken that were basically rigged against you) so you should think critically about how to do better. Luckily, you can go straight to the horse's mouth (the professor) and ask them how to improve. They will usually be honest with you and tell you how they expect students to prepare and what their course demands.

Third: figure out how to work harder and smarter and do better next time.

I want to reiterate: it's ok to feel upset over a bad grade. It's not ok to dwell on it and let it alter your self esteem.

This will not be the only time you will fail.

Maybe this will be the only "literal" F you'll ever receive, but your college career will be full of disappointments. You will only be successful if you learn how to move on from these moments.

As someone who has already been through a lot of upper level science classes, I can tell you that the most challenging part about some classes is simply learning HOW the professor tests you. I know you said you didn't want study strategies, but the best advice I can give you is to look over your exam for an hour, paying attention to the types of mistakes you made and look for patterns in the professor's line of questioning. This will help you to get an idea of how you might tweak your studying for the next exam. The next part is really important- after you do this, PUT THE OLD EXAM AWAY AND STOP THINKING ABOUT IT.

And in terms of your desire for motivation- I got a 60 on my first biology exam in college. I panicked for a little while, but then did exactly what I just suggested for you. I went on to get above a 90 on my next two exams and on my final.

Don't lose sight of how good of a student you have been thus far. That wasn't a fluke. Take confidence in the fact that you have the ability to do well, and remind yourself of this in times where you fall short.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Just study what you didn't grasp for the exam and move on. Nothing more to it.

Reactions: 1 user
"success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm" -winston churchill

chin up! you still have a b+ in the class.

I say:

Stop feeling sorry for yourself and fight your way through it! Life is a struggle, it comes from struggle and it ends in struggle, you must refuse to give up and fight.

I would say listen to some serious heavy metal like people equals ***** by slipknot. It really works to motivate me.

And yes, I have hit rock bottom several times in my life. I fought through it and controlled my emotions. Discipline your brain, control your thoughts and control your actions.

Up until now (imma sophomore) I have maintained a solid 4.0 in my classes and seeing this has literally caused me to rethink my whole choice of becoming a doctor.

favorite-emoji-choice-side-eye.jpg

A) Deal with it.
B) Figure out why you got the F
C) Don't do it again.
D) A dose of humility is always a good thing
E) Do NOT use this as "Greatest adversity faced?" on your secondaries.

Hey guys,

To my extreme dissappointent, I just found out that I have received an F on a test for the first time in my whole college career. To say I am shocked would be an understatement. It's in an upper level tough bio course, and the tests are always very tricky. Up until now (imma sophomore) I have maintained a solid 4.0 in my classes and seeing this has literally caused me to rethink my whole choice of becoming a doctor. I have done so well in my other science classes and English and humanities and I don't know where I went wrong. It's like I had never seen these questions before. We have our MIDTERM on Monday and I am looking for ways to get back up SDN. I still have a b+ in the class, but feel so depressed that I actually allowed this to happen. Im thinking maybe I did not study hard enough? I have a fear that I'll also fail the midterm and have no motivation to study

Anyway, I am not looking for sympathy or study strategies; I am simply looking for words of motivation to help me get back up. I don't even want to do anything school related since seeing this because I keep thinking, what's the point? It sounds so ridiculous but I really am doubting how well I will do since the material will only get harder from here on out. Any words of encouragement for failing a test??? Any premeds been through the same thing, and what helped YOU get back up and reclaim your confidence? Thanks guys

Reactions: 4 users
Five finger death punch is my remedy. Wrong side of heaven.
I say:

Stop feeling sorry for yourself and fight your way through it! Life is a struggle, it comes from struggle and it ends in struggle, you must refuse to give up and fight.

I would say listen to some serious heavy metal like people equals ***** by slipknot. It really works to motivate me.

And yes, I have hit rock bottom several times in my life. I fought through it and controlled my emotions. Discipline your brain, control your thoughts and control your actions.

This will not be the only time you will fail.

Maybe this will be the only "literal" F you'll ever receive, but your college career will be full of disappointments. You will only be successful if you learn how to move on from these moments.

As someone who has already been through a lot of upper level science classes, I can tell you that the most challenging part about some classes is simply learning HOW the professor tests you. I know you said you didn't want study strategies, but the best advice I can give you is to look over your exam for an hour, paying attention to the types of mistakes you made and look for patterns in the professor's line of questioning. This will help you to get an idea of how you might tweak your studying for the next exam. The next part is really important- after you do this, PUT THE OLD EXAM AWAY AND STOP THINKING ABOUT IT.

And in terms of your desire for motivation- I got a 60 on my first biology exam in college. I panicked for a little while, but then did exactly what I just suggested for you. I went on to get above a 90 on my next two exams and on my final.

Don't lose sight of how good of a student you have been thus far. That wasn't a fluke. Take confidence in the fact that you have the ability to do well, and remind yourself of this in times where you fall short.

this is awesome. It sounds exactly like me. I def. agree with the challenging part being the professors way of testing. I'm glad To hear that you have have been doing good in your exams now, Hopefully I will be able to say the same. I appreciate your post and will be following your advice

And thanks to everyone else. I know my post probably sounded silly, but This situation really did get to me. I appreciate the honesty though guys, thank you!!'

A) Deal with it.
B) Figure out why you got the F
C) Don't do it again.
D) A dose of humility is always a good thing
E) Do NOT use this as "Greatest adversity faced?" on your secondaries.

LOL no need to worry about that. Always appreciate your advice; thanks goro

"Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth"

React, mature, change your game plan and come back stronger.

Just to clarify though, it's not this actual test that had me down. It's the fact that I was worried that I would keep doing badly on the following ones like my midterm cuz I failed this one and didn't think that I had what it took to continue. I feel better now though!!

Jeez, you can't spin out of control over one bad grade. Just use the devastation to motivate you to work harder and smarter. Also getting one B+ won't stop you from getting into med school and ultimately becoming a doctor but letting your insecurities take over certainly can.

Hey guys,

I failed my first bio exam with a 50. I raised my grade to an A-. You can do it, it's possible.

If it makes you feel better OP I received my first F in college yesterday, I mean I was able to retake so the failure is really irrelevant but I still want you to feel better.

First thing's first: decouple your grades from your ego. What I mean is don't let your GPA, much less a single grade on a single exam influence how you feel about yourself as a person.

On the other hand everyone hates the guy who makes Bs and talks a lot of ****.