Failed CK before Match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

funpebbles

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just foind out I failed CK. I am almost done with interviews and only a few programs said they required it for rank. Obviously this will be a problem for those--but as far as all others are concerned, will they know? Does ERAS transcript automatically get updated? If I just take it again next month, should I just say nothing until after match?

Members don't see this ad.

So it's best to just study hard, retake, and say nothing?

It depends on how high those programs who require it are for you. Your best bet is probably not to reveal your score since it could bump you off some ROL who don't require it.

It would be good if you could find out if those programs who do require it will just drop you in their rankings or not rank you at all. Depending on the answer you could be forthright with them or just not release it.

I'm guessing for all programs no CK is better than a fail. My top choices don't require it. For ones that do, should I just rank them as planned knowing worst case I'm off their ROL? What would be sense of ranking them lower than my true preferences if worst case I just get next on my list that I would have moved higher? Also, are you guys SURE this doesn't get transmitted. I can't find ERAS instructions where it says.

It doesn't get transmitted unless you manually retransmit through eras

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I'm guessing for all programs no CK is better than a fail. My top choices don't require it. For ones that do, should I just rank them as planned knowing worst case I'm off their ROL? What would be sense of ranking them lower than my true preferences if worst case I just get next on my list that I would have moved higher? Also, are you guys SURE this doesn't get transmitted. I can't find ERAS instructions where it says.

Rank programs according to your preference regardless of your CK status. Programs who require CK for ranking may contact you to verify your status when they don't see CK results on ERAS. DO NOT misrepresent your status if that happens. Let those programs (and only those programs) know your status and that you have rescheduled the exam. You can't control what the information will do to your ranking, and programs who have been burned before may very well decide not to rank you or put you near the end of their ROL. But if you were a solid candidate academically and interviewed well, programs could very well decide you are worth the minimal risk that you won't pass the exam before their deadline to appoint the new interns (for my program, that's mid May).

Reactions: 1 user
It doesn't get transmitted unless you do so manually through ERAS. That said, when I transmitted step 2 CS, I had no chance to pick and choose programs, so it's all or nothing.

Given your situation, I definitely would NOT re-transmit that transcript until after ROL are in and perhaps even after you match. You need to retake and pass, obviously, but those programs that don't require a step 2 CK score do not (and should not) know you failed before ROL are in. Those programs that do require it just won't rank you (highly).

It's entirely up to you whether or not to even rank the programs requiring step 2 CK (you can take a risk that they like you enough, as the previous poster suggests, or not rank them at all and just bank on those programs that don't require CK).