Failed Comlex 1, passed USMLE.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

adamanteus

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm actually an 8+ yr member but created a new account for this post since my real account gives my identity away.

I'm an osteopathic student, and I failed Comlex 1 on the first try. I passed USMLE 1 with only a 197. I was doing very well on Uworld (220-239 equivalent), and not too shabby on the Comlex practice questions, so I'm not sure what happened, but on test day I just performed oh so poorly. I feel like I'm a reasonably sharp guy, so obviously seeing those scores was really disheartening. I won't bore you with details, but I know where I messed up for both of them, and I anticipate much better results on Step 2.

My question to anyone that will offer advice is whether or not this automatically puts me out of the running for anesthesiology. Not looking for top programs by any means. Could I possibly save myself by doing very well on Step 2, obtaining good evals on my clerkships, doing audition rotations at places I want to apply to, etc? I work very hard on my rotations, am a quick learner, and I've been getting good/great evals so far. Anesthesia is something I've been wanting to do for a long time, and after getting those scores back I have been preparing myself to come up with plan B. I just want to get some opinions on it before I move on. Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

That's a tough spot to be in, but I wouldn't say that you're completely out of the running. I think that the likelihood of you matching into an allopathic anesthesia residency is probably very low. If you look at the charting outcomes of the match document, independent applicants with Step 1 scores between 190 and 200 have about a 40% match rate overall, though the fact that you failed the COMLEX likely lowers your competitiveness further. Advice: hammer step II, apply broadly to both allopathic and osteopathic anesthesia residencies, and also consider having a back-up plan. Best of luck!

Unfortunately, a 197 will weed you out of any program that uses a computerized cutoff. Even if you do well on Step 2 - you will have already been weeded out of many programs. For the other programs, not just doing well, but doing phenomenal on step 2 is necessary to show you aren't high risk. Residency programs want to know you can pass the ITEs, board exams etc... A 197 and failed comlex will worry them A LOT. You need a reason why you did so poorly - personal reason or whatever not just " I didn't do well". Now here is the good news 2 people from my school last year matched into anesthesia after getting in the 190s on Step 1. Good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you to both of you for taking the time to respond.

Bcat85, how many programs do you think I should aim to apply to? 60+? Also, not knowing exactly how the match works, I understand that one can only apply to one specialty for each cycle. If I do apply to gas, is my only available back-up plan one in which I scramble for an unfilled gas spot, or can I also scramble for others as well (IM, FM, etc)?

GenericUser, any suggestions on an absolute minimum for step 2? 250? 260? I'm knocking out question blocks every day on Uworld and annotating my review book. I won't take it until I'm confident in my ability to nail it.

You can apply to more than one specialty and rank more than one too. I have a close friend that did horrible on all her steps and she turned out doing really well in residency and fellowship. Apply broadly but be realistic. Contact programs to see if you should even waste money applying there. Good luck.

You're going to have to kill Step 2 and make sure you do auditions. I got a 201 on step 1, 222 on step 2 and only got 1 interview outside of my auditions (applied to 70+ programs). I feel confident I will match into anesthesia (i'll let you know in 2 months), but only because I did auditions and they were able to see my work ethic and see past my poor board scores. I didn't fail COMLEX but didn't do great either. If you have any other questions PM me and we can talk more.

Kpride, thanks for the post. Did your friend go into anesthesia?

Y0DA, PM'd ya.

Yes she did. She had to apply again while she was doing her intern year because she didn't match it the first go 'round. She busted her butt in her intern year and ended up doing pretty well from there on out. She works for a PP group now and is living the life she dreamed of. I am very proud of her.

Awesome. Good for her. Was she able to count that intern year towards her anesthesia residency? If I don't match, I'll will probably try to do that route by scrambling for a preliminary position. If it can work like that, that is.

Awesome. Good for her. Was she able to count that intern year towards her anesthesia residency? If I don't match, I'll will probably try to do that route by scrambling for a preliminary position. If it can work like that, that is.
Yes, it counted as her PGY1. Just be prepared to work doubly hard to prove yourself.