delete

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

2cool4stool

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
as fa

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Well if you go on stats according to aacoma match report 94.2% matching EM passed comlex 1 on first attempt with and avg of 516 and std dev of 66. Meaning 15 matched with a comlex failure and your 466 is toward the lower end of things. So do well on step 2 i.e. Over 600 taking it early and stay involved in EM. It's not impossible but the stats are against you

Well if you go on stats according to aacoma match report 94.2% matching EM passed comlex 1 on first attempt with and avg of 516 and std dev of 66. Meaning 15 matched with a comlex failure and your 466 is toward the lower end of things. So do well on step 2 i.e. Over 600 taking it early and stay involved in EM. It's not impossible but the stats are against you

Also, keep in mind with the merger drawing near, when you apply programs that don't have pre-accredation from the ACGME won't be able to take applicants so that will narrow the number of spots making it more competitive. The best thing you can do for yourself now is to do well on Level 2 (>600) and audition at multiple places.

Members don't see this ad :)
To OP: If I were you, I would definitely start gunning for Level 2. A failed exam then a 466 indicates some major knowledge gap. In order to succeed in Level 2, you should already be comfortable with a majority of Level 1 material (minus a lot of the minutiae of basic sciences). You may need to revert to FA Step 1 to fill in knowledge gaps while preparing for diagnostic and management of diseases for Level 2?

With that said, there's still a good potential to match if you express incredible interest in lower tier AOA programs and prove your potential on an audition. I wouldn't wait much longer on expressing your genuine interest for programs and be upfront with the them regarding your mishap. Secure the audition and rock it. Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user
To make a long story short, I've always wanted to go into emergency medicine. I'm not the greatest student, but I hold a leadership position in my school's ACOEP club, have published articles in EM magazines, blah blah blah, but failed my COMLEX I by 8 points. On my retake I scored a 466...

I could go into how the re-calibration and lower averages this year hurt me but the truth is I underestimated the OMM portion of the exam and my test taking skills are not the greatest. This isn't a pattern for me but I know its a really giant red flag.

My school doesn't have an EM adviser, but the attendings/ graduates I've reached out to have made it sound like I still have a chance. However, they have been out of the application game for a few years and obviously EM has gotten much more competitive.

Can I still get one of the coveted EM residency spots? If so, what do I need to do?

Thanks ya'll

EM is very competitive.

Go for your dreams and all that, but yeah essentially if you fail COMLEX, then you are not going to match ED

Especially now as all the programs are applying for ACGME, and the in service scores matter more. Programs are not going to mess around with someone who is going to bring their scores down, and possibly not pass the board exam.

Sorry for the cold hard truth.

Reactions: 1 user
EM is very competitive.

Go for your dreams and all that, but yeah essentially if you fail COMLEX, then you are not going to match ED

Especially now as all the programs are applying for ACGME, and the in service scores matter more. Programs are not going to mess around with someone who is going to bring their scores down, and possibly not pass the board exam.

Is there anything I can do to make up for it? (or at least give me a better chance)

I'm really not interested in the more "accessible" specialties like FM/IM. I really don't know what else I would even want to do.

Is there anything I can do to make up for it? (or at least give me a better chance)

I'm really not interested in the more "accessible" specialties like FM/IM. I really don't know what else I would even want to do.

I would rotate at one high quality and do extremely well, then the rest lower tier. I would also start expressing interests in the lower tier programs as another poster said AFTER interview season is over.

Lastly, you say you are not interested in FM/IM, with a failure be greatful that they would look at your app(you'll be autoscreened by many)

I would rotate at one high quality and do extremely well, then the rest lower tier. I would also start expressing interests in the lower tier programs as another poster said AFTER interview season is over.

Lastly, you say you are not interested in FM/IM, with a failure be greatful that they would look at your app(you'll be autoscreened by many)

Thank you for this.

About the FM/IM- All I said was that I'm not interested in the specialty... Not trying to imply I'd be ungrateful for consideration!

EM is very competitive.

How about a barely passing, <450 score? Is that going to get you autoscreened out of most places? (sorry, our school has zero advising so I have to rely on sdn for my info. :S)

How about a barely passing, <450 score? Is that going to get you autoscreened out of most places? (sorry, our school has zero advising so I have to rely on sdn for my info. :S)

You will get autoscreened at the competitive programs like Mount Siani, Doctors, Etc... But less competitive places in the Midwest will give you a look with good auditions/sloe/higher scores.

Yes - EM is probably out of the picture for you. You can go for it if you want, but have a back-up plan...

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you for this.

About the FM/IM- All I said was that I'm not interested in the specialty... Not trying to imply I'd be ungrateful for consideration!

Honestly, if you can't match EM, FM should be your top choice. You won't be able to work anywhere you want, but I'm sure you'd be able to work somewhere you want. Plus UC, hospitalist, etc. Lots of options.

At least where I train, a low score does not take you out of the running. We are big on evaluating our students personally during audition months. We routinly take lower board scores with great auditions, compared to good board scores with ok auditions.

You would be surprised at how many students are just .....meh on rotation.

Show up on time, be eager, be assertive. Get the spot. That simple

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.