failed COMLEX III

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

italianstalion

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently did not pass the COMLEX III exam (317) but I read obgyn HY and secrets about four times but only skimmed the OMM book and only read the bottom lines for the COMBANK questions due to time constraints. My exam did not emphasize too much obgyn and even though I knew all the chapman/viserosomatic questions, I had a lot of OMM treatment questions that I simply guessed on. Feeling sleepy from taking an ambien the night before and having personal problems while studying probably did not help either.

So I am retaking it at the end of next month, plan so far is to read obgyn HY and USMLE step 2 secrets and really knowing my omm cold, do COMBANK earlier and have a clearer mind during the exam.

Any other suggestions? It is greatly appreciated. I later realized that it is as much about exam taking skills and guesswork as it is knowledge base. It also helps to somehow know the random facts that they do test on the exam. I have heard of a Kaplan book out there that has been well received by many but not sure its name.

Thank you in advance
:)

Members don't see this ad.

I recently did not pass the COMLEX III exam (317) but I read obgyn HY and secrets about four times but only skimmed the OMM book and only read the bottom lines for the COMBANK questions due to time constraints. My exam did not emphasize too much obgyn and even though I knew all the chapman/viserosomatic questions, I had a lot of OMM treatment questions that I simply guessed on. Feeling sleepy from taking an ambien the night before and having personal problems while studying probably did not help either.

So I am retaking it at the end of next month, plan so far is to read obgyn HY and USMLE step 2 secrets and really knowing my omm cold, do COMBANK earlier and have a clearer mind during the exam.

Any other suggestions? It is greatly appreciated. I later realized that it is as much about exam taking skills and guesswork as it is knowledge base. It also helps to somehow know the random facts that they do test on the exam. I have heard of a Kaplan book out there that has been well received by many but not sure its name.

Thank you in advance

What areas did you do poorly on? I would first look at your score sheet and move on from there. While I have not taken step 3, it seems as if reading OB HY and secrets is overkill. Since you have read them, there is no point in re-reading them. Why so much emphasis on ob? In terms of OMM, Ill tell you as I was told..know it cold...read savarese and do the questions (at end of book) and know it cold...simply knowing it well is not good enough.
IF you do a qbank, then DO the qbank...take timed tests, review every answer choice, and go over EVERY question to make sure you get it right.

Goodluck

thanks for your feedback

'low performance' in health care delivery issues, health promotion/disease prevention, and management

'borderline to high performance' in OMM, HandP, diagnostic techonologies, and 'high performance' in scientific understanidng of mechanisms

Recommend the combank/comquest qbanks that others have recommended in other threads. Doing practice questions is really high yield if you feel you are a struggling due to being a poor test taker. Using savarese is also a must for OMM.

In addition, it may be enlightening for others, including myself, if you could give us a general idea of how you've done on previous COMLEX exams. above/below/at the average?

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for your feedback

'low performance' in health care delivery issues, health promotion/disease prevention, and management

'borderline to high performance' in OMM, HandP, diagnostic techonologies, and 'high performance' in scientific understanidng of mechanisms
Ok-
Check out the site below
http://www.nbome.org/intro/m_outline_dimension_2.html

The kaplan book-Master the boards, is apparently very good, although everyone is different-for steps 1 and 2, what worked for you? If reading various review books didnt work, dont do it-instead focus on questions.

Recommend the combank/comquest qbanks that others have recommended in other threads. Doing practice questions is really high yield if you feel you are a struggling due to being a poor test taker. Using savarese is also a must for OMM.

In addition, it may be enlightening for others, including myself, if you could give us a general idea of how you've done on previous COMLEX exams. above/below/at the average?

Passed level I below the average, did not pass level 2 by just a few points, then got around a 540 the second time on level II. I just started reading my old review books again but had a mind block today for some reason. It sucks, likely need a break from studying. But lets be honest though, even though with my past history I should have not rushed studying for the exam and should have known my OMM and basics cold, but it seems like the COMLEX comes down to answering a plethora of random questions, that is my opinion. I will likely focus on COMBANK or COMQUEST and fill the gaps with Secrets or Master the boards and hope for the best. Any comments on using COMBANK vs. COMQUEST?

i did comquest heavily

i passed step 1
failed step 2, used comquest, passed step 2
failed step 3 by 1 point (332/74...need a 350/75 to pass)

now im doing kaplan and hopeing things change

Incidentally Comicbookhero and stalion, are you guys primary care? I imagine you are not as it seems this test is "easier" for people who do rotating internships. Anesthesia, Path, and Psych are the ones that struggle from what I've heard.

Nothing personal and no offense, but YOU DID have problems with Step I and Step II. 500 is average on those two exams; not only did you not score the average, but you barely passed Step II, which is a relatively simple exam (it's mostly dx).

I scored in 700's on Step III. Here is what I used:
-Master the Boards
-Savarese
-Kaplan Q Bank
-Comquest
-Combank
-Kaplan Q BOOK
-Blueprints OB/GYN
-First Aid Peds
-Deja Review--Step II; Med; OB/GYN; PEDS; Sx

I did NOT even look at Crush or Step III First Aid. Why? They are useless. They have very little high yield details. They give a false sense of security. BTW, Premier is mediocre at best also.

Hey Italianstalion,

Do I have a story for you...

I am a path resident. Maybe we can help each other. My life is currently in shambles because of the COMLEX LEVEL 3. I had no trouble with comlex steps 1,2, and PE.

My scores for those respective tests:

Step 1: 473/78 (I was the last class to take the 16hr written version. Overall, I thought it was a terribly written test IMOP... but I passed, and I only studied about 3-4 weeks.)

Step 2: 439/78 (I was the first class to take the computerized version. Overall, I thought it was actually more poorly written than step one... then again, it was so much more "clinical" I think some of my trouble was the subjective nature of the protocol based clinical medicine which seemed to reward sheep, and punished thinkers. On this test, I actually studied longer... on the order of like 6-8 weeks and I did about 400 USMLE world questions)

Step 2 PE: Passed (no trouble.... other than having my GPS stolen in Phili-)

Step 3 x1: 234/70 (I fell for the proverbial "2 months, 2 weeks, 2 pencils" mantra) I completely underestimated/did not respect the test. I studied some crush, First-Aid, and about 300 Combank Questions before completely bombing it. I had some serious financial and personal issues the first year of residency and probably didn't take the test soon enough. But, nonetheless I still underestimated it.

Step 3 x2: 339/74 (I studied my a-- off for like 2 months. I completely rearranged my scheduled, put myself in a compromised situation at work/residency, and went into that test with a mind to spank it. I did Crush, First-Aid, Combank, Secrets, Savarsee, and Simmon's. I walked away thinking that I definitely passed, but certainly didn't spank it. I was certain that I was at least in the 60th percentile... but most def. passed. Wrong!

Step 3 x3: 307/73 (This time I really hit it hard... again for about 1.5-2 months. I studied USMLE world, and I did ALL 2,320 questions with a detailed review of ALL the questions I missed, and the ones I got right. I wrote a 60 page notebook front and back with high yield tid-bits. I was averaging about 62% on all questions. I also covered Simmon's and Savarsee in detail. I took the COMLEX LEVEL 3 in February 2010, and was the first of the "new batch" of test takers with the new raised standard. I walked away feeling terrible about the test. It seemed so hard. So random. I knew I had failed. I never expected to have so many random questions about concussions (WTF, nobody agrees about how to handle concussions), the same for PSA values (WTF, again! nobody agrees about when to biopsy which value...)

Step 3 x4: 343/74 (This time I got help. I got PremierReview and did exactly as instructed. I watched 93 hours of online video while taking detailed notes. I then went over those notes at least 3 full times.. the first time being very slow and taking almost 10 days. The next two times went faster. I also did Savarsee, and Simmons until I was blue in the face. It took me another 2 months to get through all of this. Again, I rescheduled my whole life in residency... putting me yet farther behind in my pathology studies. I took the test on June 24th and walked away with two thoughts:

1.) It is impossible to study for approximately 20% of that test because it is just so simply random... "sunblock on a 6 month old, vs. sunblock on a 6 year old; and some lady with a positive needle core biopsy and when to tell her modified radical, vs. conservative lumpectomy, vs. talk to her husband more and then come back???
2.) The other 80% of the test I felt that I destroyed. It was like the people from PremierReview were the writers... I had no doubt that I passed. I actually thought I would see a score around the neighborhood of 7-800... Again, I was wrong!

My life is destroyed. NBOME says it takes about 67-70% correct to pass. Dr. -- (who does the magical math that somehow takes 5 weeks) says that he cannot disclose any info... but that I am less than 5 questions away from passing. He tells me to study the "Performance Profile" that they send out. To me that thing as about as useful as a punch in the face.

Someone suggested that perhaps repeat test takers are graded against a cohort of repeat test takers? If this is true, than that would explain a lot.

So hopefully italianstalion; you won't have my experience ... because let me tell ya, NOBODY will understand.

<sigh> I'm currently considering the PASS program now... but really don't think at this point that my fund of knowledge is the issue. Seems to be the management section that keeps staying in the borderline zone, while the other categories continue to climb.

Thank you NJW. I will consider your comments. BTW what's your specialty? I think the word "easy" is kinda relative but I do understand what you mean. In retrospect I wish I would have taken the USMLE so I would have a better gauge of my knowledge base since I think those are better exams, less ambiguous, less subjective. Then again, I may have scored comparatively..
I ended up in path because I don't seem to do well with the subjectivity of the clinical stuff and I think comlex tends to be worse than USMLE in that dept. (from what I've heard of course, and from the practice questions of done). You mention that step 2 is mostly dx. I think step 3 has a lot of management that one picks up from doing the clinical year.

Anyway, you make some really good points, and thank you again-

Nothing personal and no offense, but YOU DID have problems with Step I and Step II. 500 is average on those two exams; not only did you not score the average, but you barely passed Step II, which is a relatively simple exam (it's mostly dx).

-Master the Boards
-Savarese
-Kaplan Q Bank
-Comquest
-Combank
-Kaplan Q BOOK
-Blueprints OB/GYN
-First Aid Peds

I did NOT even look at Crush or Step III First Aid. Why? They are useless. They have very little high yield details. They give a false sense of security. BTW, Premier is mediocre at best also.

Woah man, that is a lot. I did well on Comlex I (580) and II (690 or something), planning on just getting Comlex III out of the way early in my intern yr in November because I get a week off then.

Do you think it is really necessary to do all that even for people that have historically done well (>85th percentile on I and >98th percentile on II) and have a fair amount of clinical experience in their intern year? Definitely not looking to get a 700. >500 would be fine with me.

My plan was to basically bust through Comquest and Combank and review their explanations, memorize those 5-10 pages that are important in Savarese with VSRs/Chapman's points/etc, and then maybe brush up on some Secrets Step 2 ob-gyn/peds as I am in a medicine heavy TY. I was planning on an hr a night for maybe 2-3 weeks and then probably 5 days of intense 8 hr/d studying.

Members don't see this ad :)
For the person that asked, I am a PGY-II in Psychiatry.

Sure, one can "just get by" and pass, BUT it's your last COMLEX, why risk it? I studied over a 4 month period and otherwise, did NO other reading why doing med. and neuro. rotations.

Woah man, that is a lot. I did well on Comlex I (580) and II (690 or something), planning on just getting Comlex III out of the way early in my intern yr in November because I get a week off then.

Do you think it is really necessary to do all that even for people that have historically done well (>85th percentile on I and >98th percentile on II) and have a fair amount of clinical experience in their intern year? Definitely not looking to get a 700. >500 would be fine with me.

My plan was to basically bust through Comquest and Combank and review their explanations, memorize those 5-10 pages that are important in Savarese with VSRs/Chapman's points/etc, and then maybe brush up on some Secrets Step 2 ob-gyn/peds as I am in a medicine heavy TY. I was planning on an hr a night for maybe 2-3 weeks and then probably 5 days of intense 8 hr/d studying.

I've taken in twice in the summer, once in the fall, and once in the winter. I'm not sure when traditional "interns" take it, but I would presume it is in the spring time near the end of their 1st year training.

Thank you in advance

ambien ouch.. not only does that affect your attentiveness, it can seriously impede your decision making capabilities. I say better to sleep a couple of hours naturally, as opposed to ambien. You will likely be up, but its much better than 8 'pure' hours of sleep on Ambien, because you will not likely recover your alertness. Stay away from ambien if you are taking this examination the next day. Benadryl or melatonin are ok, but not ambien.

-Master the Boards
-Savarese
-Kaplan Q Bank
-Comquest
-Combank
-Kaplan Q BOOK
-Blueprints OB/GYN
-First Aid Peds

How so? I attained a copy of Premier for Step 3. It looked pretty spot on with the COMLEX Level II that I took about 6 weeks ago. Just about read through the entire thing because I was bored and wanted to keep up with my knowledge. Is Level 3 that much more different from Level 2? My understanding was that it's pretty much a similar exam. So, please do elaborate - thanks!

ambien ouch.. not only does that affect your attentiveness, it can seriously impede your decision making capabilities. I say better to sleep a couple of hours naturally, as opposed to ambien. You will likely be up, but its much better than 8 'pure' hours of sleep on Ambien, because you will not likely recover your alertness. Stay away from ambien if you are taking this examination the next day. Benadryl or melatonin are ok, but not ambien.

True, not sure I would take a pill that has a side effect of memory loss, impaired judgment and reasoning while I was studying for or taking boards.

an update...my exam is scheduled for the 16th of this month, I went through ALL of COMBANK last month and took detailed notes while doing through the questions. My plan from here is to know those notes cold and to go through the OMM book and Secrets for step 2 as many times as possible till the exam. what do u guys think? sounds pessimistic, it think I am going to get screwed, do not think there is really any high-yeild book out there, maybe read master the boards instead of secrets?

p.s. thinking of postponing my exam for a month but will have to study during 2 weeks of vacation

an update...my exam is scheduled for the 16th of this month, I went through ALL of COMBANK last month and took detailed notes while doing through the questions. My plan from here is to know those notes cold and to go through the OMM book and Secrets for step 2 as many times as possible till the exam. what do u guys think? sounds pessimistic, it think I am going to get screwed, do not think there is really any high-yeild book out there, maybe read master the boards instead of secrets?

p.s. thinking of postponing my exam for a month but will have to study during 2 weeks of vacation

As you probably realized, COMBANK is not similar to the COMLEX at all. Dont be bumbed about your first try. 317 is very close to passing. I read Step 2 secrets, read the green OMM book and did fine. I think you just needed to study a little more. You'll do fine this time. If you really feel like you need to study for 2 full weeks, go for it but otherwise try to take the exam and enjoy the 2 weeks off. You wont be getting a 2 week vacation again for a while. Let me know if you have any other questions.