Failed GME Merger - Implications for Osteopathic ENT Resident Seeking Fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

capnamerica

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to get some thoughts from current residents and med students.

What will be the implications of the failed GME merger for those planning on doing a fellowship upon graduating from an osteopathic ENT residency? From my knowledge, there are little to no osteopathic fellowship opportunities, so traditionally, those seeking further training would pursue ACGME fellowships. How will this play out now?

Members don't see this ad.

I've known of many osteopathic ENT resident's who have gotten ACGME fellowships. It is possible.

I've known of many osteopathic ENT resident's who have gotten ACGME fellowships. It is possible.

That's the basis for my question. To my knowledge, ACGME fellowships will no longer be considering osteopathic graduates starting 2014. If this is true, it looks like osteopathic ENT grads will be SOL unless they attend ACGME ENT residencies.

Members don't see this ad :)
If this is true, it looks like osteopathic ENT grads will be SOL unless they attend ACGME ENT residencies.

Not to be a downer but DO students are more likely to see a unicorn fart gold dust into a leprechaun's pot of gold than they are to get an MD ENT spot.

Now someone will go oh wait what about that one dude! Well that one or two individuals who managed it are out of close to 10,000 DO grads in that time frame. Also no one knows what they may have had going for them (Dad as PD or what not).

If the GME merger fails, the AOA will (most likely) be filing a class action lawsuit against the ACGME, as funding for most GME (approx 70%) comes from medicare. If the ACGME was to continue with their proposed plan, then that would be discrimination with government GME $$$.....They AOA is probably saving up millions in case that happens...

Are DO ENT residency grads eligible for ABOto board certification? Or is there a separate board certification?

Not to be a downer but DO students are more likely to see a unicorn fart gold dust into a leprechaun's pot of gold than they are to get an MD ENT spot.

^This isn't a productive comment.

ACGME issues should only affect those seeking a neurotology fellowship (not all are acgme) and I believe pediatric otolaryngology. To my knowledge, Head and neck, Rhinology, sleep, Plastics, and laryngology are not ACGME regulated.

Having said this, I know that neurotology fellowships are very competitive now, and it's unlikely that a DO would be taken over an MD. I do not know how competitive peds fellowships are these days, but I suspect that the bug ones will not be taking DOs either.

Practically speaking, it may be a moot point and an expensive uphill battle for AOA that won't result in any real change in practices.

Sent via mobile device.