Failed my first test

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JeetKuneDo

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Failed my first test today. I'm not the best student, but I've never failed a test before. I feel like crap and very hopeless this quarter. Rant over, and gettin some steam out.

Members don't see this ad.

Not good. Hopefully this motivates you to study as hard as you can.

Good luck

I've gotten a 38 out of 100 (avg like 60-70) on the first midterm for a class(Grad Biochem) and still gotten an A. You'll be fine, one test means nothing, just make up for it on the next one and especially the final.

Members don't see this ad :)
failing means you've got room for improvement :)

One test means nothing. If you show a great improvement throughout the semester your Prof. will take that into account. Relax.

I've gotten a 38 out of 100
ditto. the second half of gen chem rocked my world, and my prof was a d-bag and I didnt care about the class after butting heads with him a few times. but I did pull A's in both halves of ochem. having ended up with a C+ in gen chem and A's in ochem did show improvement though. they actually did ask me about in my interview too....and i ended up getting in. so dont worry about, just dont make it a habit

I wouldn't get too worried about one test. For what it's worth, I have two undergrad degrees, a PharmD, and an MBA and I've failed more than 1 test. It's not the end of the world. There's time to improve. Just be concerned if it becomes a trend. The fact that one test has upset you is a great sign that it will more than likely not become a trend. Getting past these obstacles is what makes us great medical students.

Good luck in the rest of your studies.

I have definitely failed tests before. Part of that has to do with the professors purposely making the exam that difficult and me not knowing how to study for the first test. When it comes down to it though, you can't let this get you down. Also, that one test is just part of your grade. Use this as a learning experience. Go through your exam and ask yourself what you could have done better. Failure is an essential part of life.

Go out, get drunk, don't let it get to you too much. Study hard for the next one and figure out where you went wrong (after you shake off the hangover) and realize that it happens to everyone at some point.

Many times, I have done bad on the first test, and then great on the next tests.

The first test is always weird because you don't know what kind of questions are going to be on it. I have been blindsided on the first test of many classes. I studied for my first bio test as if all the questions would be qualititative. It turned out that half the exam was math. I studied for my first orgo test as if they would ask for definitions of things in words ("Define enantiomers...what are the characteristics of a carboxyl group?"). But as you know if you have already taken orgo, none of the questions ask you to write anything in words. Instead, you have to draw out structures and reactions.

Also, I have come to see that many professors don't give you a final grade based strictly on numbers. If you improve on the next test(s) and the final, the professor may not count this first test much when he gives you a final grade.

Maybe look into a tutor? You should still be able to get a B for most point breakdowns. What class is it?

I got an 18/100 on my first biochem test. Needless to say, I busted ass after that and did just fine. :thumbup:

I got an 18/100 on my first biochem test. Needless to say, I busted ass after that and did just fine. :thumbup:

:eek:.. LOL that was my first Biochem exam grade. Luckily, my professor let us retake it and I brought it up to a 78.

:eek:.. LOL that was my first Biochem exam grade. Luckily, my professor let us retake it and I brought it up to a 78.
BTW...that was undergrad Biochem....sadly you can't get away with that stuff "The Show"

AND....Hi Punkmedgirl, long time no see. you coming to Western soon?

BTW...that was undergrad Biochem....sadly you can't get away with that stuff "The Show"

AND....Hi Punkmedgirl, long time no see. you coming to Western soon?

Hi Eric.:) Uhmmmmmm probably not. I didn't apply this year. Thinking about changing the routine up just a little bit...looks like I may be 3 yrs behind you. :(