Failed naplex, how should I study for it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lostfornow

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those who passed, I need help please. I study RXPREP book and their questions bank, 120 calculations for 3 months and I failed!!!!!:( Couldn't believe it when I saw my score, I went to a decent US school, I was alway an average student! I don't know how did this happened!! I'm so depressed!!!
When I was at the test my mind was blocked out, like I could't remember anything!
So I have to start studying all over again and looking for tips from those who passed! how did you study for it? what study materials did you use?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

For those who passed, I need help please. I study RXPREP book and their questions bank, 120 calculations for 3 months and I failed!!!!!:( Couldn't believe it when I saw my score, I went to a decent US school, I was alway an average student! I don't know how did this happened!! I'm so depressed!!!
When I was at the test my mind was blocked out, like I could't remember anything!
So I have to start studying all over again and looking for tips from those who passed! how did you study for it? what study materials did you use?

Thanks

They want you to be generally capable of not killing people, not capable of saving people's lives from the rarest drug complications. I felt like 20% of my test could be answered by knowing that lisinopril raises blood potassium and lowers blood pressure. Know your "simple" (common) disease states inside and out.

Reactions: 1 user
When I was reading the book, I though I knew all the concepts. But where I was sitting at the exam it was different!
How did you study for Naplex? what materials did you use?

Sounds like you just freaked out. Calm down, taker a breather, review the main disease states again and your calculations. I know plenty of people who passed who are far from pharmacy geniuses. After doing a chapter go back and quickly review what you read to make sure you understand it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I used exactly the same materials that you did. I passed with 89 score. I guess the materials are sufficient. What you need is to know the calculation really well. I couldn't do quite a lot of questions but I could do all my calculations in the exam.
5 days before my exam, I went through all the questions in rxprep question bank and did calculation again and again.
Try to familiar yourself with the most common diseases. Do not focus on one specific drug, get the big picture is more important.

thank you Rattlergirl53 and Cevf for your inputs. I am going to start studying in couple of weeks after taking my MPJE. Hopefully, I would have more confidence next time I'm taking the test.

Does anyone have nay idea about passnaplexnow online review course? I am thinking to purchase that for my 2nd time studying for NAPLEX.

I used passnaplexnow online and thought they were the single best study prep. I graduated 25 years ago from a fine pharmacy school but have not practiced in 15 years. I studied the books and online from passnaplexnow for 4 months. I got a 102 on Naplex. I highly recommend! Good luck.

I passed and studied from the Rxprep book and spend more time on calculation Qs. KNOW the 120 practice Qs well. In addition, study the top 300 Rxs and know as much as possible the common dosing Rxs you see in the pharmacy. You will be okay this time around so study and Good luck..

I passed and studied from the Rxprep book and spend more time on calculation Qs. KNOW the 120 practice Qs well. In addition, study the top 300 Rxs and know as much as possible the common dosing Rxs you see in the pharmacy. You will be okay this time around so study and Good luck..

Thank you for your input. Other than the 120 practice Qs, did you also use or do you know another reference to get prepared for the math section?
I am pre-pharmacy, hoping to get in this year and the reason I'm asking is to see maybe I should start getting ready from the first year. Or maybe I'm too worried too early!

Last edited:
I used passnaplexnow online and thought they were the single best study prep. I graduated 25 years ago from a fine pharmacy school but have not practiced in 15 years. I studied the books and online from passnaplexnow for 4 months. I got a 102 on Naplex. I highly recommend! Good luck.

Thank you Pharmamomma for your input. Congrats to you on passing.

Thank you for your reply. Can you please tell a good source for top 300 Rxs. thanks

Thank you Pharmamomma, Congrats on your passing.

Hi There, I was in YOUR SHOES! not too long ago! I took the Naplex the first time around and i got a 65.I went to a good Pharmacy school and was an average student!!. I used RxPrep, RxPrep question bank and the 120 math problems. Even though I read through RXPrep twice i still couldn't remember everything...i kept forgetting the drugs and i wasn't confident with math when i took it and became really anxious on the exam. I just wanted to rush through it so i would have enough time to finish it. failing the naplex was such a blow to my confidence that became so depressed and anxious.I studied for 4 months! and i Passed the 2nd time i took it with a score of 106, here is what i did:

• I studied at the library for 8-10 hours a day, everyday including the weekends
• I read the entire rxprep book 2012 edition 5 times and made flash cards of each chapter with important points to remember. I reviewed my flash cards regularly
• Once I had reviewed the book for the 5th time, I practiced math for two weeks using the prontopass math cards, rxprep 2012 edition, rxprep online quizs and the 120 math questions on SDN. I made sure I understood how to approach different type of questions
• Once competent with math, I continued to review the rxpep book for the sixth time and took online quizzes during the day, while I practiced math for two hours every night until the exam date
• I took the rxprep online quizzes a week after reading each chapter instead of taking it right after reading the chapters. I spend more time this time around reading and understanding the explanation of the questions I missed.
• I made study guides for chapters I skipped reading the first time I took the naplex, such as HIV and cancer.
• I made a study guides for drug formulations section using the rxprep book. This is a section I felt I wasn't prepared for it at all the first time I took the naplex.
• I studied the auxiliary label handout provided by rxprep
• I used the sigler's prescripton drug cards and added additional info to the cards which I felt were important and reviewed them for an hour every day for a month prior to taking the exam.

YOU CAN DO THIS, I was so anxious i had to see my doctor. I kept getting anxiety attacks. I felt like such a loser since most of my friends have been working for months and i only know of one person in my class that failed. But the MOST IMPORTANT this is to CALM DOWN. when i took the naplex the second time around, i told myself that the key to my success is to calm down, read the questions carefully and not to panic if i don't know something....
good luck i KNOW you will PASS

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi There, I was in YOUR SHOES! not too long ago! I took the Naplex the first time around and i got a 65.I went to a good Pharmacy school and was an average student!!. I used RxPrep, RxPrep question bank and the 120 math problems. Even though I read through RXPrep twice i still couldn't remember everything...i kept forgetting the drugs and i wasn't confident with math when i took it and became really anxious on the exam. I just wanted to rush through it so i would have enough time to finish it. failing the naplex was such a blow to my confidence that became so depressed and anxious.I studied for 4 months! and i Passed the 2nd time i took it with a score of 106, here is what i did:

• I studied at the library for 8-10 hours a day, everyday including the weekends
• I read the entire rxprep book 2012 edition 5 times and made flash cards of each chapter with important points to remember. I reviewed my flash cards regularly
• Once I had reviewed the book for the 5th time, I practiced math for two weeks using the prontopass math cards, rxprep 2012 edition, rxprep online quizs and the 120 math questions on SDN. I made sure I understood how to approach different type of questions
• Once competent with math, I continued to review the rxpep book for the sixth time and took online quizzes during the day, while I practiced math for two hours every night until the exam date
• I took the rxprep online quizzes a week after reading each chapter instead of taking it right after reading the chapters. I spend more time this time around reading and understanding the explanation of the questions I missed.
• I made study guides for chapters I skipped reading the first time I took the naplex, such as HIV and cancer.
• I made a study guides for drug formulations section using the rxprep book. This is a section I felt I wasn’t prepared for it at all the first time I took the naplex.
• I used the sigler’s prescripton drug cards and added additional info to the cards which I felt were important and reviewed them for an hour every day for a month prior to taking the exam.

YOU CAN DO THIS, I was so anxious i had to see my doctor. I kept getting anxiety attacks. I felt like such a loser since most of my friends have been working for months and i only know of one person in my class that failed. But the MOST IMPORTANT this is to CALM DOWN. when i took the naplex the second time around, i told myself that the key to my success is to calm down, read the questions carefully and not to panic if i don't know something....

Hi Sami123,

Would you mind sharing your study guides with us? Especially the one that has all the formulations.

• I made a study guides for drug formulations section using the rxprep book. This is a section I felt I wasn’t prepared for it at all the first time I took the naplex.
• I used the sigler’s prescripton drug cards and added additional info to the cards which I felt were important and reviewed them for an hour every day for a month prior to taking the exam.

Thank you for your encouraging words and your very useful tips on how to study. It is very helpful.:thumbup:

I failed NAPLEX the 2nd time although I thought I did way better than first time I took the test. Any suggestion? I am so depressed right now, because I only have one more chance to take the exam before I have to go back to school for certain areas that I didn't pass.

I failed NAPLEX the 2nd time although I thought I did way better than first time I took the test. Any suggestion? I am so depressed right now, because I only have one more chance to take the exam before I have to go back to school for certain areas that I didn't pass.

I am sorry to hear that news....Hug...Hug tighter....Warm....Soft...You have a whole community here for you...Stick with us...and share more....others will share more....just let it out...we are listening...

Last edited:

hi pharmD1384, I just took the NAPLEX and found out I didn't pass as well...I failed to review math thoroughly and I think that was my downfall...if you want to study together or share studying materials let me know

hi pharmD1384, I just took the NAPLEX and found out I didn't pass as well...I failed to review math thoroughly and I think that was my downfall...if you want to study together or share studying materials let me know
I just found out that I failed the naplex, I studied for 4 months with rx prep book and their online questions, at the test I thought I did pretty well but I did not finish the whole 185 questions and still I thought I will pass because most of the questions I found them easy. I am so shocked. Does anyone have any suggestion on how to study and what to do at this point. I am thinking to buy the rx prep online courses, can someone advise me if it's worth it to spend that much money or I should just use their book again. Please someone help me. Thank you.

I just found out that I failed the naplex, I studied for 4 months with rx prep book and their online questions, at the test I thought I did pretty well but I did not finish the whole 185 questions and still I thought I will pass because most of the questions I found them easy. I am so shocked. Does anyone have any suggestion on how to study and what to do at this point. I am thinking to buy the rx prep online courses, can someone advise me if it's worth it to spend that much money or I should just use their book again. Please someone help me. Thank you.
Depending on your score you may not need the course. If you didn't pass because you didn't finish...then finish it next time. The issue simply might have been that the last few questions you didn't answer had a lot of math in them. If you didn't answer those they would count against you unfortunately.

I would say study RXPrep again and know the SDN120 questions. The time you have will be better spent doing that IMO. I also suggest the RXPrep 2700 questions to help you get used to answering questions and testing but put yourself in a controlled setting. The questions are not the same really BUT they will help you hone in on areas of weakness.

Good luck!

there are many good review courses like pass naplex now, Rx prep and prontopass. and if you want one to one tutoring (LIKE ME) then try NAPLEX Help tutoring services. They guide you about every step to pass this exam. check their website naplexhelp.com

Please, please help me, I failed Naplex also...cried all days and nights, I am so depressed now, I heard about ppl discussed about 120 SDN math questions, please show me where I can buy it? thanks a lot. Need your reply soon.

Please, please help me, I failed Naplex also...cried all days and nights, I am so depressed now, I heard about ppl discussed about 120 SDN math questions, please show me where I can buy it? thanks a lot. Need your reply soon.

Nhu Mai,
Sorry about the sad time.
Here is the file, 120 questions + 120 answers. Good luck.
Please come back here if you have any question.

Attachments

• 120 Math Questions with Answers from Student Doctor Network dot org, very helpful for NAPLEX.pdf
    222.3 KB · Views: 244
Dear Dr. Molyhelp,
thanks so much for the Math questions, you are very kind. Sure!! I will come back for more questions :)

I took the Naplex today and actually found math to be the way easier part. A few days before the test I did all the ProntoPass math flashcards and they prepared me 110% for math. They are very good and I highly recommend them. Here's a pic on google images of what one of the cards look like. They have a green elf on them and teach you real good by drilling each topic into your head with repetition. I always hated mEq to mg to mOsm and now I can do those questions like nobody's business because I know the formulas and each way it can be asked.

images

Last edited:
Hello everyone ...
I failed my Naplex after studying for 4 months ... I used Rxprep book, solved all their quiz bank Qs, took prenaplex twice. I got a 73 so I was very close. I think I studied everything & i didn't focus only on the most important subjects. I'm very good in math, it's actually the one thing that I'm confident about, but the rest I couldn't remember very well during the test. What are your recommendations? I don't think I should be studying more than 3-4 weeks for my 2nd attempt, but at the same time I want to know that I'll pass this time ...
I appreciate any help you guys can provide.

Hi all,

Just wanted to share my experience of taking NAPLEX for the second try and PASSED! First, finding out you failed the NAPLEX (by one point especially) is probably one of the worst feelings in the world. Trust me, you can pass the next time! The first time I took it I wasn't working yet and studied 24/7 with RxPrep only. The second time around I studied after working 40+ hours during the week and on the weekends. The second time around I studied with NaplexHelp tutoring (using my RxPrep book) and would highly recommend this service! The tutor is very experienced with helping students of all types and knows the most important points to focus on which is key! As someone already mentioned the pronto pass math flashcards, I would highly recommend these. I found that I struggled with the math the first time around because I only used RxPrep and the math from RxPrep is extremely easy compared to the actual exam. Pronto pass is extremely similar to the exam. My tutor from NaplexHelp recommended these as she really knows how to get you to pass! I strongly believe that tutoring always boosts confidence which is essential in this situation. Please don't give up and use the support on this site to get through as I did! Please message me!

Last edited:
Hi all,

Just wanted to share my experience of taking NAPLEX for the second try and PASSED! First, finding out you failed the NAPLEX (by one point especially) is probably one of the worst feelings in the world. Trust me, you can pass the next time! The first time I took it I wasn't working yet and studied 24/7 with RxPrep only. The second time around I studied after working 40+ hours during the week and on the weekends. The second time around I studied with NaplexHelp tutoring (using my RxPrep book) and would highly recommend this service! The tutor is very experienced with helping students of all types and knows the most important points to focus on which is key! As someone already mentioned the pronto pass math flashcards, I would highly recommend these. I found that I struggled with the math the first time around because I only used RxPrep and the math from RxPrep is extremely easy compared to the actual exam. Pronto pass is extremely similar to the exam. My tutor from NaplexHelp recommended these as she really knows how to get you to pass! I strongly believe that tutoring always boosts confidence which is essential in this situation. Please don't give up and use the support on this site to get through as I did! Please message me!

I'm not sure how to use SDN, bc I started a convo with you in hopes that was a pm. But regarding the Naplex services, how much do they charge? I sent them an email twice but no response. I got the same score again 71, and really need help. I definitely know the math is the problem and have gotten pronto pass. ....just wanted to know the step approach they did for you. Thanks

Hey MAQ,
I'm sorry to hear about your score. How did you prepare for the next time around , I got 71 last week I'm lost I don't know what to do. For me also the math wasn't a problem, I studied Rxprep only without the online quizzes now I'm wondering should I use a different source ...
I hope we both pass next time

I was an average student too. a 3.3 GPA. Did better in school than plenty friends who passed.

I'm not sure if I failed the naplex, but I wouldn't be surprised if I did. I didn't answer 16 questions & know I got some of the calculations wrong.

I am wondering if some of those who failed were very hung up on studying therapeutics and left calculations till the end, because unfortunately that's what happened to me. I am usually good at math so I took it for granted, but i didn't practice enough. I was just too clouded about therapeutics because I forgot so many drug brand names, etc. I felt like I forgot everything during the exam and even started to forget formulas, etc.

I don't have a job yet and have had no leads on the job search, so I knew I had to take the NAPLEX eventually and thought it would be best to get it over with, but it's been hard to sit & retain information without applying it yet. buzzkill.

To make things worse, I woke up with extreme nausea this morning and had a bit of an anxiety attack that has never happened to me in my 6 years of pharmacy school, 4 years of high school. I mean yea, I'd get nervous, but I couldn't fall asleep at night because I felt nauseated from anxiety, even though I was convinced I wasn't nervous. Then I woke up shivering and had a hard time breathing. I made it to the test center but I really do think my nerves got the best of me.

In any case, taking it once will surely eliminate some of the anticipation anxiety, now that I know what to expect. I just want to get really good with calculations if I do have to take it again.

I took Naplex second time and i got 69. I was pretty confident after my exam,but sadly i failed . I think i might perform very well if i have a study partner. I am planing to take my next exam in 3 months. Anyone interested please inbox me. i graduated from US school.

This is how I studied: I glanced over the ebay pharmacy charts as an introduction then I would study from the rxprep and then finally back to the pharmacy charts as a recap. I also did questions from rxprep and lange to review the concepts. Don't try to memorize everything! Try to understand the concepts and quiz your friends to reinforce the concepts. I think rxprep has a FB page for people looking for study partners.

ebay pharmacy charts: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2014-Edition-Pharmacy-Charts-NAPLEX-CPJE-/261152172663

rxprep: http://www.amazon.com/RxPrep-Course...ie=UTF8&qid=1401474728&sr=8-2&keywords=naplex

lange: http://www.amazon.com/Lange-amp-Pha...e=UTF8&qid=1401474768&sr=8-28&keywords=naplex

I also did the SDN 120 calculation problems. They were a great help and all you need for math. You must do well on the calculation:

Calculation: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/sdn-calculation-120-questions.1010043/

PM me if you got questions.

This is how I studied: I glanced over the ebay pharmacy charts as an introduction then I would study from the rxprep and then finally back to the pharmacy charts as a recap. I also did questions from rxprep and lange to review the concepts. Don't try to memorize everything! Try to understand the concepts and quiz your friends to reinforce the concepts. I think rxprep has a FB page for people looking for study partners.

ebay pharmacy charts: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2014-Edition-Pharmacy-Charts-NAPLEX-CPJE-/261152172663

rxprep: http://www.amazon.com/RxPrep-Course...ie=UTF8&qid=1401474728&sr=8-2&keywords=naplex

lange: http://www.amazon.com/Lange-amp-Pha...e=UTF8&qid=1401474768&sr=8-28&keywords=naplex

I also did the SDN 120 calculation problems. They were a great help and all you need for math. You must do well on the calculation:

Calculation: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/sdn-calculation-120-questions.1010043/

PM me if you got questions.
Thank you for your help...!!

I took Naplex second time and i got 69. I was pretty confident after my exam,but sadly i failed . I think i might perform very well if i have a study partner. I am planing to take my next exam in 3 months. Anyone interested please inbox me. i graduated from US school.

are you studying with someone? check out this forum and on FB. People are always looking for other people to study with

Thanks

what portions do you need to work on?

Hi all,

Hi roman445! I recently took the NAPLEX and found out that I did not pass. I am researching for additional study materials to help me the second time around. I used the RXprep book the first time and found it very helpful. I just received the prontopass flashcards in the mail today and just e-mailed the NAPLEX tutor for more information on their service. Can you elaborate a bit more on your experience with the tutor (how many sessions, cost, and any additional information). Thank you!!

@Roman445 and @hi hello May u please inbox me the info about the Naplex help tutors that helped both of u to pass? I failed the NAPLEX on my first try and i need extra help. I am so depressed....Can u elaborate a bit more on your experience with the tutor (how many sessions, cost and any additional information). Thank you!!!

Sorry to hear this lostfornow. I believe everything happens for a reason!!! Maybe God doesnt want you to pursue a certain job..? Who knows just know that god is protecting you somehow:angelic: I know it may be hard to do but let all your anger and sadness out for 3 days and then hit thr books with a fresh start.

I posted a long post of what ive used in my post. I was really nervous I took about 3 months to study :bookworm::bookworm::bookworm:...! My post was posted on oct 1!!!! If you want to read it hopefully it will help you:);)

I took the MPJE today.....felt scary hope I passed :dead: otherwis......! :depressed: Not sure how to study

Anyway bottom line is Rx Prep is golden for the NAPLEX!! Hope this helps and good luck :highfive: