Failed OB/GYN clerkship--Need advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KBone978

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am a 3rd/4th yr. I failed my OB/GYN shelf sadly. Why? I prepped well for the exam, but the night before I was confronted with the news of a very unfortunate death in the family. I made a stupid decision to try and power through the test as I felt I could at least pass--and I regret that choice.

Regardless, it happened. My school will require I repeat the clerkship and as a result, I am left with 3 choices and I need help figuring out what is the best choice for my future:

1. Repeat the clerkship. HAMMER through 4th year and still manage to graduate on time and more importantly apply for residency this year. This would mean i'd be on full tilt.
2. Repeat the clerkship. Take a year off, possibly...do research..but I am lost as to how/what to do considering it's May and I'm not sure where to look for options..(suggestions please?)
3. Repeat Clerkship. Get through the 4th year (not hammering through) and graduate in October..but then take a gap year after graduation and apply in the NRMP for 2017 (which my school says they will still support me even after graduating).

Some details regarding my background:
I'm a US Med. No other red flags. Step 1: 232. Straight B's on all my other clerkship but with some wonderfully good evals from preceptors (at least I think so? compared to what I've heard from peers I guess..i've been fairly well liked by ppl I've worked with.) I've often been recommended for honors, but the only thing that's held me back is the shelf score (we have some ridiculous cut offs in my opinion).

My goal: Internal Medicine Residency. I passed internal medicine without any problems. I didn't do as well on this shelf as others, but I passed. Again, good comments from preceptors. No issues.

Particularly, my goal is to go to the Lahey Clinic in Burlington, MA. I'm a local, i've grown up there, my family goes to this hospital, so I have strong ties to it. I've been promised (in writing) a strong recommendation from a preceptor I worked with who is an alum from their program and personally knows the residency director at the program.

In addition, I'm slightly lost, upset, most def acutely depressed by everything that's happened. I've always had confidence in my clinical skills, but I feel like my wind was taken out of my sails recently and so I have had lots of doubt.

Any and all advice would be so so appreciated. What do you think of this situation? THANK YOU.

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry to hear you're dealing with this. I'm surprised your school won't let you simply retake the shelf, but I'm sure you already explored that and this is simply their policy.

I think I would do everything possible to graduate on time and enter the match this year. It's only one clerkship and there's plenty of wiggle room in 4th year to make everything work out.

For now, focus on absolutely crushing this shelf and the repeated clerkship. Give your deans and letter writers some ammo to address this lone red flag. Give them a story about how you failed it the first time due to some family stressors, but came back a few weeks later and absolutely knocked it out of the park. You would probably also benefit from an earlier Step 2 CK to further show how this was simply an outlier and you are otherwise a very solid applicant.

I'm sorry for your loss.

If I were you I'd lean toward option 3- trying to power through/hammer through things would add stress, and hasn't worked out too well for you before. No need to make things worse for yourself trying to rush.

Your school says they'll support you, so work something out where you apply/interview fall 2016 as a US senior, not an independent. Maybe that means walking in May 2017 even though you could technically graduate in October 2016. There may be a TA or research role you could take on during your extra time.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd ask if you could just remediate the exam. If you only failed that, I don't see why the school would make you redo the whole month. It's easier for the both of you.

Thanks so much for the advice. I wasn't sure myself what the best route was. I did ask if they'd let me just remediate the test but they said that because I have technically "failed" the clerkship, I cannot just remediate the exam and fairly call it as having remediated "the clerkship". They were sympathetic, but it's a matter of principle and I (painfully) understand their position.

Do you think it's reasonable to apply next year? I'm only asking in terms of what is the BEST way forward. Of course I'm not romantically attached to graduating with my class or anything--i'm fine going the 2017 route if necessary. But considering my goals, is it still reasonable for me to follow plan 1? Presuming I do knock that shelf out of the park and do knock step 2 out of the park (i am planning everything in my power to do so), are my expectations for internal med too unrealistic--or is it do-able?

Thanks so much for the advice. I wasn't sure myself what the best route was. I did ask if they'd let me just remediate the test but they said that because I have technically "failed" the clerkship, I cannot just remediate the exam and fairly call it as having remediated "the clerkship". They were sympathetic, but it's a matter of principle and I (painfully) understand their position.

Do you think it's reasonable to apply next year? I'm only asking in terms of what is the BEST way forward. Of course I'm not romantically attached to graduating with my class or anything--i'm fine going the 2017 route if necessary. But considering my goals, is it still reasonable for me to follow plan 1? Presuming I do knock that shelf out of the park and do knock step 2 out of the park (i am planning everything in my power to do so), are my expectations for internal med too unrealistic--or is it do-able?
You're at a disadvantage because you're on academic probation until you remediate, which means you can't do away rotations or fourth year electives. Believe me, I know. It's frustrating

Ah man, i'm sorry to hear that. Maybe i'm lucky then--I spoke with my dean and the school committee and since I have an approved plan for remediation--i'm considered to be in satisfactory good standing and i'm allowed to do 4th yr rotations--I don't know if that's something special due to my case or not but i'm currently still signed up for my 4th year sub-I's.

I guess i'm trying to probe whether it's a good idea to push forward with this year and really kick some butt on my exams and apply for residency this year vs. taking a yr off and doing research (any suggestions for where to start with that would be super appreciated).

My understanding is this (pls correct me if i'm wrong on any of this):
If I take a yr off, it'll be tough to find research given the timing (it's May). I will likely end up with unpaid work--on the plus side, I do have a TON of people in medical research so I could at least start there.
If I don't take a yr off, it will be tough, but i'm wondering if there's any way I can help my chances of increasing exposure thanks to my recommendations and with a very solid Step 2 score. Or is that a hopeless case if I am applying for internal medicine?

Hi all,

I am a 3rd/4th yr. I failed my OB/GYN shelf sadly. Why? I prepped well for the exam, but the night before I was confronted with the news of a very unfortunate death in the family. I made a stupid decision to try and power through the test as I felt I could at least pass--and I regret that choice.

Regardless, it happened. My school will require I repeat the clerkship and as a result, I am left with 3 choices and I need help figuring out what is the best choice for my future:

1. Repeat the clerkship. HAMMER through 4th year and still manage to graduate on time and more importantly apply for residency this year. This would mean i'd be on full tilt.
2. Repeat the clerkship. Take a year off, possibly...do research..but I am lost as to how/what to do considering it's May and I'm not sure where to look for options..(suggestions please?)
3. Repeat Clerkship. Get through the 4th year (not hammering through) and graduate in October..but then take a gap year after graduation and apply in the NRMP for 2017 (which my school says they will still support me even after graduating).

Some details regarding my background:
I'm a US Med. No other red flags. Step 1: 232. Straight B's on all my other clerkship but with some wonderfully good evals from preceptors (at least I think so? compared to what I've heard from peers I guess..i've been fairly well liked by ppl I've worked with.) I've often been recommended for honors, but the only thing that's held me back is the shelf score (we have some ridiculous cut offs in my opinion).

My goal: Internal Medicine Residency. I passed internal medicine without any problems. I didn't do as well on this shelf as others, but I passed. Again, good comments from preceptors. No issues.

Particularly, my goal is to go to the Lahey Clinic in Burlington, MA. I'm a local, i've grown up there, my family goes to this hospital, so I have strong ties to it. I've been promised (in writing) a strong recommendation from a preceptor I worked with who is an alum from their program and personally knows the residency director at the program.

In addition, I'm slightly lost, upset, most def acutely depressed by everything that's happened. I've always had confidence in my clinical skills, but I feel like my wind was taken out of my sails recently and so I have had lots of doubt.

Any and all advice would be so so appreciated. What do you think of this situation? THANK YOU.
Fourth year you have about 3 months of vacation time right? At least this is the case at my school. If this is the case for your school, repeat the clerkship during what would have been an off month. No sense in losing a year because of one course. We had a few marginally pass/fail clerkships due to shelf and once all 3rd year clerkships were done, they remediated and had less 4th year vacation time. Hope this is a possibility for you as it wouldn't even require you to hammer through.

Ah man, i'm sorry to hear that. Maybe i'm lucky then--I spoke with my dean and the school committee and since I have an approved plan for remediation--i'm considered to be in satisfactory good standing and i'm allowed to do 4th yr rotations--I don't know if that's something special due to my case or not but i'm currently still signed up for my 4th year sub-I's.

I guess i'm trying to probe whether it's a good idea to push forward with this year and really kick some butt on my exams and apply for residency this year vs. taking a yr off and doing research (any suggestions for where to start with that would be super appreciated).

My understanding is this (pls correct me if i'm wrong on any of this):
If I take a yr off, it'll be tough to find research given the timing (it's May). I will likely end up with unpaid work--on the plus side, I do have a TON of people in medical research so I could at least start there.
If I don't take a yr off, it will be tough, but i'm wondering if there's any way I can help my chances of increasing exposure thanks to my recommendations and with a very solid Step 2 score. Or is that a hopeless case if I am applying for internal medicine?
Yes, you have your schedule at your school. But I'd double check and make damn sure if you're planning on doing away rotations.