Failed Orgo 1 Twice.. Chances??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Should I give up and start pursuing my back up plan? Or ride it out and see if i get in..

• Give up

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Keep going

Votes: 16 72.7%

• Total voters

Brokesciencemajor

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am going into my senior year but am graduating after a 5th year so I have not yet taken my MCAT. I just completed Organic Chemistry for the second time and am now stuck with a 3.3 GPA. The first summer I took it, my aunt passed. And this summer, my uncle passed. Both times, I ended up missing an exam and just getting thrown off completely for the class. What are my chances into getting into medical school? Should I just give up now and start pursuing my back up plan?
** A little more about me:
Have done research in Cancer Biology and Pharmacology for 3 years resulting in 2, second author publications. I work as a medical scribe in the ED. I volunteered at a hospital with direct patient contact for 1 year. I don't have a bunch of other extracurriculars because research and working takes up a lot of my time. I am also in the honors college at my university.

Members don't see this ad.

I am going into my senior year but am graduating after a 5th year so I have not yet taken my MCAT. I just completed Organic Chemistry for the second time and am now stuck with a 3.3 GPA. The first summer I took it, my aunt passed. And this summer, my uncle passed. Both times, I ended up missing an exam and just getting thrown off completely for the class. What are my chances into getting into medical school? Should I just give up now and start pursuing my back up plan?
Have done research in Cancer Biology and Pharmacology for 3 years resulting in 2, second author publications. I work as a medical scribe in the ED. I volunteered at a hospital with direct patient contact for 1 year. I don't have a bunch of other extracurriculars because research and working takes up a lot of my time. I am also in the honors college at my university.

Retake and cut down (or out completely) on the research and work. Grades come first plus at some schools, you might put yourself at risk of being kicked out of your honors college.

Reactions: 1 user

u can always go to dental school and get in med school through back door by doing oral surgery through a 6 year MD integrated residency

just saying. that will probably generate some controversy from some of the DBs on this thing. but there are many ways to skin a cat.

only solutions, no problems Danielson! (channeling Miyagi here.)

Members don't see this ad :)
What is your GPA like without those two Fs? How have you done in your other prereqs and why didn't you take a W on the class when you knew things were going south?

u can always go to dental school and get in med school through back door by doing oral surgery through a 6 year MD integrated residency

Sure, and you can become rich by winning the lottery.

Reactions: 1 users
Both times, I ended up missing an exam and just getting thrown off completely for the class.

Woah, slow down there. If you knew missing an exam affects your grade the first time, why would you miss an exam the second time? How can you expect to pass if you don't at least take all the exams (assuming exams make up a large part of the class grade)?
If you want to keep going, and you still are motivated to continue on the pre-med path, I suggest:

1) Prioritize your classes. You need to put this above your other activities - while impressive, those can wait after you bring your grades up and can handle everything. Get help - use your research time to talk to your TAs, watch online tutorials, and do practice problems.

2) When the time comes, apply DO. They allow retakes, so your GPA will look much better by then assuming you do well the 3rd time around.

Reactions: 1 users
Woah, slow down there. If you knew missing an exam affects your grade the first time, why would you miss an exam the second time? How can you expect to pass if you don't at least take all the exams (assuming exams make up a large part of the class grade)?
If you want to keep going, and you still are motivated to continue on the pre-med path, I suggest:

1) Prioritize your classes. You need to put this above your other activities - while impressive, those can wait after you bring your grades up and can handle everything. Get help - use your research time to talk to your TAs, watch online tutorials, and do practice problems.

2) When the time comes, apply DO. They allow retakes, so your GPA will look much better by then assuming you do well the 3rd time around.

I think the idea is that OP missed the exams due to family members passing away both times. I don't think OP missed a test the first time for her Aunt's funeral and then this summer she was like "Should I take all my tests? Nah..." Her uncle died. Obviously it wasn't ideal, and it may have been mishandled, but I think suggesting to her that not missing tests could have provided a better outcome is both obvious and missing the point.

I think the idea is that OP missed the exams due to family members passing away both times. I don't think OP missed a test the first time for her Aunt's funeral and then this summer she was like "Should I take all my tests? Nah..." Her uncle died. Obviously it wasn't ideal, and it may have been mishandled, but I think suggesting to her that not missing tests could have provided a better outcome is both obvious and missing the point.
Ah, gotcha. Sorry OP for not being sensitive - I stupidly interpreted a different definition of "passed" as in pass/fail. Re-reading your post, I see what you meant initially.
Silly me. Sorry for your losses. I hope you succeed next time!

I'll be blunt: on consecutive times, instead of doing the smart thing and dropping the class and taking a W, you tried to bull it through and shot yourself int he foot. I have Adcom colleagues who would reject you for poor choice making alone.

I'm not confident that MD is doable now, except maybe at your state school, IF you live in a lucky state.

Best chances now are to retake the F (Fs?) and aim for DO schools.