Failed out of DO program, trying to get back in

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bones DO

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm sorry in advance for this being so long but here goes...

I am one of those unfortunate people who managed to fail out of medical school and I am curious as to what people think of my situation/plan of action to be reaccepted.

I had decent stats applying (3.6 GPA (3.4 sci), 26-R MCATs and 3 summers of research internships, held a part time job at a hospital lots of shadowing etc) and was accepted into what I consider to be a prestigious D.O. program (it shall be nameless for this post) early in 2008 and everything seemed to be falling into place. Fast forward to the end of the intro system. I had not taken anatomy and physiology during undergrad and found it extremely difficult. Further, I was very disturbed (quite unexpectedly) by working with cadavers. Passing is of course 70 and due to my dismal anatomy average of 47 I failed the intro course with a 62. At the school I was at you could remediate one system but the second one in a year is damning. The second system i finished with a soul-crushing 69, again due to the darn anatomy grades. I repealed my dismissal on the grounds that it was clearly anatomy that was killing my averages and that I could take steps in the interm year to work on my easily identifiable weakness and start over the following year.

In my appeal I had outlined several things that I was going to do to eliminate my weakness, along with taking full responsibility for everything that had happened as my own fault for not being prepared enough, and not acclimating myself to dissection before the first day of gross lab.

1. take undergrad A+P 1+2 w/labs
2. continue to expose myself to dissection labs whether by attending autopsies or being allowed to continue studying in the schools gross lab
3. essentially do little else but study anatomy until August 2009

The appeal board didn't buy it (or any of the other stories the 6 others that were dismissed after the first 2 systems had). I was quite depressed by this, I feel like the appeal process at the school I was at was nothing more than a formality but that's another matter.

So I proceeded to write letters to literally all the other COM's admissions offices asking what they thought of my situation and whether or not I could be considered. Roughly half the COM's have a policy in stone that they do not accept previously dismissed D.O. students. I wrote letters to the deans of those schools with one positive outcome: special permission to apply to LECOM's campuses, but not until 2009-2010 cycle. 80% of the other half wanted me to wait another year before applying, and a few would consider my 2009 application. So I applied to the few schools that would review my application immediately after my dismissal and was waitlisted at 2/3 of them based on how late I applied (I was in the last interview group due to a lag in getting another DO letter...) and they wanted to see how I did on my AnP coursework.

That brings us to today. I have been working in public health research for the passed 4.5 months and have gotten A's in both the AnP lectures and Labs. In order to stay sharp, I am the TA for the professor I had last spring and summer I for AnP 1 and 2 and assist with (not just observe) autopsies at a hospital on about a monthly basis. I also retook the MCAT last Saturday to try to show continued determination and I bought this great Anatomy lab program for the computer called Anatomy and Physiology Revealed 2.0. (Not to give them a plug or anything but it's a great cadaver dissection simulation and a wonderful way to study…way better than any atlas) and I have applications in at 10 D.O. schools pending verification (submitted 8/13/09, would have submitted earlier but I was waiting for my AnP II Grade). My premed committee at my undergrad institution has written me a new recommendation and I have a couple new recs on file from people I work for both MD and DO. I have also applied to SGU and Ross just in case, but I would still rather be a DO.

So my questions are:

1. What do you think of this plan of action (most of which is complete at this point)? Is there anything you think I should be doing that I'm not doing?

2. Do you think I'm insane for trying? I have read only 2 accounts of this sort of thing on SDN but I'm sure there are more. Most of us that get dismissed are just embarrassed to talk about it I think...especially since from my school alone after the first 3 months there were already 7 people dismissed due to academic problems alone.

Go nuts, I can take it. At this point I can take anything.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I wish you luck and definitely keep us updated on your status and how you make out this cycle.

I honesly have idea how this will work out as I have not spoke to anyone who has reapplied after a similar situation but at this point I think you've done about all you can do. You kept in contact with schools, firgured which ones would even consider your app, kept involved in medicine, and worked on the anatomy weakness (good job on the A's, anything less would probably have been unacceptable at this point), so I think you've done what you can.

I wish you luck and definitely keep us updated on your status and how you make out this cycle.

I honesly have idea how this will work out as I have not spoke to anyone who has reapplied after a similar situation but at this point I think you've done about all you can do. You kept in contact with schools, firgured which ones would even consider your app, kept involved in medicine, and worked on the anatomy weakness (good job on the A's, anything less would probably have been unacceptable at this point), so I think you've done what you can.

I second this. Good Luck. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't have much input, but I feel you have done everything that you can do. I wish you the best of lucky, genuinely, because you have tried to remedy your situation, put the best foot forward, and showed a lot more maturity than others.

Ask med students ... pre-meds will be able to tell you a lot of things about applying, but none of them are going to know anything about applying with previously failing out of med school. Here's the bottom line ... in my opinion ... you've done everything you can. It's clear that your motivated to still becoming a physician, it's obvious you care and you'll put forth the effort to remedy the situation, etc. So, all you can do now is apply and hope for the best. I don't think it's any surprise that this isn't a great situation, and you're going to have a lot of explaining to do, but be satisfied with what you've done to make this better. I'd personally say you have the drive to dust yourself off and make it. Good luck, and try to ask in the Osteo forums/have my boy C-Bear move this one there for you if you feel that would be better.

Getting into a medical school is only going to be your first hurdle. Getting a decent (or any) residency after being dismissed once is going to be difficult.

There are schools that will definitely look at an applicant who has been dismissed.

Now there is another question: Were you "Dismissed" or did they give you the option of "Withdraw"? There is a world of difference.

One school I know takes students that have had, shall we say, academic difficulties in previous medical schools, is LMU-DCOM. Get hold of Dr. Cross - he has a heart of gold, he's the anatomy guru there, and ask him what else you can do. Was your plan good. And get him on your side - tell him your plans to reapply there. Of course if you have no plans on applying to LMU-DCOM, don't call him.

Dr. Cross...good peeps.

When I first read the title of the thread I thought this was going to be a no-go. But I have to say that you have made a tremendous effort to rectify where you went wrong. Given your story, I could see someone giving you a chance. I would consider it. After that you're going to have to smoke med school, but you certainly have shown more chutzpa than most would. Good luck.

There are schools that will definitely look at an applicant who has been dismissed.

Now there is another question: Were you "Dismissed" or did they give you the option of "Withdraw"? There is a world of difference.

One school I know takes students that have had, shall we say, academic difficulties in previous medical schools, is LMU-DCOM. Get hold of Dr. Cross - he has a heart of gold, he's the anatomy guru there, and ask him what else you can do. Was your plan good. And get him on your side - tell him your plans to reapply there. Of course if you have no plans on applying to LMU-DCOM, don't call him.

Interesting you should mention DCOM. I contacted them but I realize now I never got an email back. I wrote the admissions office this:
--------------------

Dear LMU DCOM Admissions Office,

I recently had a very rough time at MED SCHOOL X as a first year student. I
was dismissed after the first two systems due entirely to my anatomy
grades. The 2nd system I only failed by 1 point (at MED SCHOOL X if you
fail one you may remediate, but two is damning). Although MED SCHOOL X would
allow me to reapply this cycle, I realized I did not shop around
enough when applying to medical school the first time and want to do
it correctly this time. I am contacting several other Osteopathic
schools to see if I might have a fighting chance of being admitted
elsewhere.

In order to address my weakness in anatomy, I just finished up a 4
credit class in Anatomy and Physiology w/lab at SUNY Morrisville with
an A and am going to start the second class in that series in a couple
weeks. The professor of structural medicine there has agreed to write
me a recommendation as well. In addition to that I have purchased an
anatomy learning program for my computer and several other resources
and have done little but study anatomy for the passed few months.
After having studied anatomy in a slower environment I believe I will
have the foundation necessary to do well in medical school. Anatomy
was the only area in which I had no experience at all when I walked in
the door at MED SCHOOL X, this was a mistake for which I blame no one but
myself.

My AACOMAS primary application would be finalized in mid July, my GPA
was 3.6 overall, 3.4 science (although it will be slightly higher
with the A in the 4 credit class), biology major, minors in chemistry,
music, and honors program graduating with over 155 credits. I have a
year and a half old MCAT of 26 (9b 7p 10v R for writing). I am more
than willing to retake it if you think I should.

I have extensive patient interaction (2+ years) and a true
appreciation for Osteopathy (I was doing well in the OMM portion of
school). I work full time as a public health research assistant at
the New York Center for Agricultural Medicine and Health currently and
love research in general. I would much prefer to get into another DO
school than have to pack up and go to the Caribbean and in so doing
abandon Osteopathic Philosophy. How does the Admissions department at
DCOM feel about this situation? Some admissions offices have a policy
of not admitting dismissed students period, so I just would like to
filter those schools out of my search before designating schools on my
AACOMAS application. I also would like to get a feel for my odds at
the schools that are open to considering a dismissed student.

Thank you so much for answering my questions it really is appreciated!

Best,
DO Reapp Hopeful X
-------------------------------

I will look up this Professor Cross tomorrow. Thank you so much for the tip. I posted this question elsewhere on SDN but do you know if it affects the speed with which your primaries are verified if you add a school? My boss, a well known research physician is buddies with a dean at a school I didn't have on my list initially so I added them last week. Any thoughts on that? I'll likely add them tomorrow either way, just curious. Thanks again!

Also thanks to everyone else who replied for your input I appreciate you all taking the time to share your thoughts. I welcome further analysis of my situation and will keep you all posted :)

I realized I did not answer your question... I was all out dismissed. My appeal was for it to be changed to a temp withdraw. Thanks again.

Ask med students ... pre-meds will be able to tell you a lot of things about applying, but none of them are going to know anything about applying with previously failing out of med school. Here's the bottom line ... in my opinion ... you've done everything you can. It's clear that your motivated to still becoming a physician, it's obvious you care and you'll put forth the effort to remedy the situation, etc. So, all you can do now is apply and hope for the best. I don't think it's any surprise that this isn't a great situation, and you're going to have a lot of explaining to do, but be satisfied with what you've done to make this better. I'd personally say you have the drive to dust yourself off and make it. Good luck, and try to ask in the Osteo forums/have my boy C-Bear move this one there for you if you feel that would be better.

Thanks for the suggestion to move and your input!

Getting into a medical school is only going to be your first hurdle. Getting a decent (or any) residency after being dismissed once is going to be difficult.

I second this. Several of my friends are in the "five year" program (they failed two courses and had to repeat a year) and are finding it more difficult to land a residency spot. I don't know...good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone,

I'm sorry in advance for this being so long but here goes...

I don't know what more you could have done to improve your situation and don't know why you wouldn't go for it now.

Let 'er rip and see what happens. All they can say is "no".

And good luck.

TBH, I don't think you should mention that you didn't do well in Gross Anatomy, because you had no experience. Instead, I think you should present this as, "I didn't realize how to study for Anatomy then, but I do now."

Saying that you hadn't had Anatomy before is kind of a lame excuse for admissions people. There are people every year that get in that never had Anatomy and do really well in it.

Best of luck. I think you are definitely serious about this and I hope someone gives you a second chance.

Reactions: 2 users
TBH, I don't think you should mention that you didn't do well in Gross Anatomy, because you had no experience. Instead, I think you should present this as, "I didn't realize how to study for Anatomy then, but I do now."

Saying that you hadn't had Anatomy before is kind of a lame excuse for admissions people. There are people every year that get in that never had Anatomy and do really well in it.

Best of luck. I think you are definitely serious about this and I hope someone gives you a second chance.

Very good point, I will be sure to word it that way in any interviews I am granted.

I second this. Several of my friends are in the "five year" program (they failed two courses and had to repeat a year) and are finding it more difficult to land a residency spot. I don't know...good luck.

Thanks for the input. This will obviously be a red flag for residency down the road, but at this point it's a problem I'd like to have.

Question for you: I see you're doing an MPH with your medical degree... I currently work in public health and enjoy the research. Do you think doing an MPH with the D.O. (assuming I get in somewhere that offers it) would help the residency issue?

Thanks for the input. This will obviously be a red flag for residency down the road, but at this point it's a problem I'd like to have.

Question for you: I see you're doing an MPH with your medical degree... I currently work in public health and enjoy the research. Do you think doing an MPH with the D.O. (assuming I get in somewhere that offers it) would help the residency issue?

I think this depends on the type of residency you're looking for. I believe the MPH is good for potentially introducing yourself to staff in hospitals if your project is related to that sector, and may get you a LOR if you worked closely with someone at that hospital. It might look fancy, but I don't see why it would outrank anyone else with postbacs. Only get the MPH if you really see yourself using it in the future and want to dedicate your research toward the public health field.

I would not worry about doing a dual degree. You usually have to apply for these and as you mentioned, it is going to be a challenge to gain admission into another DO program. The dual degrees are usually harder to get into and many of the DO/MPH programs require you to do coursework concurrently. Don't spread yourself too thin if given the second chance to be a medical student. Good luck!

I think I might like to do the MPH eventually, but yes I agree it would be wise to not spread myself out if given a second shot.

Just wanted to mention that I did contact Dr. Cross by email yesterday morning 9/15. I'll let you all know what he says when I get a reply.

I'm really sorry for all you've gone through. I thought it was really difficult to be dismissed from med school, but if seven people in your class alone were dismissed after only two sections, that doesn't reflect all that well on the school.

I have a question though. In your email to LMU, you mentioned that your school is allowing you to apply again. Why wouldn't do it? If they were "prestigious" as you say and now that you've been through two blocks already prior to your dismissal, you know how the professors teach and grade, wouldn't that seem like a good option? They know your situation first-hand and although the appeals committee wasn't sympathetic, the admissions committee might be.

Whatever happens, best of luck to you! I hope you get back in this cycle. Please update this thread and let us know.

I'm really sorry for all you've gone through. I thought it was really difficult to be dismissed from med school, but if seven people in your class alone were dismissed after only two sections, that doesn't reflect all that well on the school.

This is what I'm thinking. Since you're trying to move on, it's probably not a good idea to reveal the name of your school, but if I were an applicant I'd want to know. At my school, you would probably be forced to remediate the first year, but they would not kick you out based on just one failure.

I have a question though. In your email to LMU, you mentioned that your school is allowing you to apply again. Why wouldn't do it? If they were "prestigious" as you say and now that you've been through two blocks already prior to your dismissal, you know how the professors teach and grade, wouldn't that seem like a good option? They know your situation first-hand and although the appeals committee wasn't sympathetic, the admissions committee might be.

Whatever happens, best of luck to you! I hope you get back in this cycle. Please update this thread and let us know.

Your logic is sound and normally I would agree with you, but I have so much negativity associated with the school that I don't think I could function there. I would like a new, fresh start somewhere else. I was toying with the idea of reapplying at the first school, but it would be a reach, and the "appeal board" there was just so nasty ... I just got the feeling that they really didn't care about me and by extension any of the students.

This is what I'm thinking. Since you're trying to move on, it's probably not a good idea to reveal the name of your school, but if I were an applicant I'd want to know. At my school, you would probably be forced to remediate the first year, but they would not kick you out based on just one failure.

In the interest of moving on, I will not name the school outright but your school's practice is common. My former school's practice is far less common. Anyone applying to DO school reading this, PLEASE look at the schools' practices regarding the ability to retake classes etc. At my former school, if you fail 2 systems in a year, that's it. They allow you to appeal, but as I have mentioned before, it seems like a formality. I think the school should care a little more about you since they put so much effort into accepting you, that to totally kick someone out after the first few months (2 systems) kind of sucks but that's the reality of my situation. Especially when you fail out by such a slim margin... Since this came up I'll post my appeal petition for reinstatement for your reference.

.December 8th , 2008.
.Re: Petition for reinstatement .
.The Dean at Med School X.
.Office of the Associate Dean of Student Affairs, MED SCHOOL X.
.Where Med School X is located.
.Dear Dean X,.
.As per the email I received on the first of December, I would like to formally request that the Committee on Student Progress consider my, Screwed med student X,s petition for reinstatement to the X College of Osteopathic Medicine. .
.Over the last several days, I have had a great deal of time to examine what went wrong during my few months at MED SCHOOL X. I believe my downfall was mainly due to Anatomy. Aside from my notably dismal grades on the Anatomy exams, I consistently failed to correctly answer anatomy questions on the written exams as well. In no way am I suggesting that this is in any way, shape or form the fault of the Anatomy department. This problem is of my own making and stems from two major causes; first, my sheer lack of foundation in the subject. My undergraduate coursework in biology focused mainly in ecology and conservation, echoing my research interests. My thinking was that since Anatomy was taught in medical school, there was no need to bother with it. I discovered the hard way that this was a major mistake for me personally, as I found the volume of information pertaining to that subject insurmountable. Secondly, for the first four to five weeks of the academic year, I was grappling with an unexpected aversion to working on cadavers. I found myself dreading going to the lab at all and working more on maintaining my composure than learning the material. At this point, I have gotten over it, so it would not be an issue next year..
.In order to address this debilitating shortcoming, I will be registering for Anatomy and Physiology I and II, their associated labs and a systems physiology course to better prepare me for medical school. I will be taking these courses at SUNY X in central NY through their school of health professions. In addition to this I will continue to review the MED SCHOOL X anatomy lectures, focusing on the textbook reading, something I did not do during the actual systems. I am also looking into purchasing an anatomy review program for my computer. Following this strict routine of scheduled classes and self-drilling finely focused on my major weakness will ensure that I will not feel as overwhelmed by Anatomy the second time around..
.Along with my problems in regards to anatomy, I would also like to cite a few other lesser, but still significant factors in the overall degradation of my cognitive scores (since I failed by only 1 point). First, despite being warned at orientation about trying to “go it alone” at MED SCHOOL X, my habit of working independently from undergraduate college was difficult to break. Given another chance, I will make a point of establishing study relationships from the very beginning next year. Second, I (by my own stupidity) chose to live a little over an hour from campus mainly due to an attractive rent price. This amounted to a good deal of wasted time traveling to and from campus that could have been spent studying. If allowed back next year I will secure an apartment no more than ten minutes from campus, regardless of cost, far in advance. .
.Becoming a physician is a life-long dream for me. I am prepared to do abide strictly by the above plan, and am more than willing to add whatever measures the committee considers necessary in order for me to return next year. Thank you very much for your attention to this matter..
.Regards.
Screwed Med School X

---------------

What do you all think?

Do you mind if I ask which COM you hail from, since you're obviously in good standing MS 4 and all. Thanks

Hi,

Good luck. 00000000000000000

Last edited:
Hi,

Good luck. I'll be doing the same thing (reapplying after dismissal) next year, and I wish you the best.

I noticed on another thread that you would pm a list of DO schools considering you even though you have been dismissed. Could you send me that list as well so I can focus my applications next year? I would actually rather not go DO again because of the unfair treatment I received at my school, but I will go wherever I can get in of course.

Thanks in advance.

no offense, but I really don't think you can be choosy at this point. If you get dismissed from an osteopathic school, you would still have to report that to any allopathic schools you'd be applying to. If a DO school admits you after getting dismissed you should literally erect a shrine of gratitude to that admissions committee.

Hi,

Good luck. I'll be doing the same thing (reapplying after dismissal) next year, and I wish you the best.

I noticed on another thread that you would pm a list of DO schools considering you even though you have been dismissed. Could you send me that list as well so I can focus my applications next year? I would actually rather not go DO again because of the unfair treatment I received at my school, but I will go wherever I can get in of course.

Thanks in advance.

I personally wouldn't blame/put down the whole DO profession because of one school's policies for dismissing a student.

I personally wouldn't blame/put down the whole DO profession because of one school's policies for dismissing a student.

I agree, but it's hard to not have a bad taste in your mouth right after it's happened to you. Of course we take responsibility for what heppened, but the fact is a few DO schools are a lot easier to fail out of than most MD and the rest of the DO schools. I can tell you that from my experience, my former dean wouldn't even talk to me. He sent his final ruling after an appeal hearing that he didn't even show up to....through an email sent by his secretary.

no offense, but I really don't think you can be choosy at this point. If you get dismissed from an osteopathic school, you would still have to report that to any allopathic schools you'd be applying to. If a DO school admits you after getting dismissed you should literally erect a shrine of gratitude to that admissions committee.

Agreed a D.O. admission would probably the absolute best we could hope for, either of us. I would be most thankful for another shot at a D.O. Anywhere.

I agree, but it's hard to not have a bad taste in your mouth right after it's happened to you. Of course we take responsibility for what heppened, but the fact is a few DO schools are a lot easier to fail out of than most MD and the rest of the DO schools. I can tell you that from my experience, my former dean wouldn't even talk to me. He sent his final ruling after an appeal hearing that he didn't even show up to....through an email sent by his secretary.

I understand what you mean, I guess was saying most DO schools don't kick you to the curb like trash without really trying to help you succeed.

I would actually rather not go DO again because of the unfair treatment I received at my school, but I will go wherever I can get in of course.

Thanks in advance.

Good luck with that. If you do not want to go DO again, then why are you asking for a list so you can apply again? Why are you trying to take a seat from a student that really WANTS to be a DO?

In his post history, he posted under NYCOM Class of 2012. Usually only matriculating students post under the class threads.

Oh. I thought you may have some info concerning them.:)

I have no clue what, beyond board scores, gets you into a residency. I went into the dual degree program because I was interested in the research aspect of public health and medicine. Will that get me a residency spot? No clue. I wouldn't go into it, however, unless you were interested. It does increase your work load and, sometimes, you will feel like dropping the whole damn thing.

I have no clue what, beyond board scores, gets you into a residency. I went into the dual degree program because I was interested in the research aspect of public health and medicine. Will that get me a residency spot? No clue. I wouldn't go into it, however, unless you were interested. It does increase your work load and, sometimes, you will feel like dropping the whole damn thing.

Hey, I'm pretty interested in it, but maybe I'll go back and do it later on after residency, if hell freezes over and I actually get back in somewhere. If you don't mind me asking, where are you working on the degrees, when do you start work on the masters and do you still get the summer after OMS I off?

Thanks!

Hey, I'm pretty interested in it, but maybe I'll go back and do it later on after residency, if hell freezes over and I actually get back in somewhere. If you don't mind me asking, where are you working on the degrees, when do you start work on the masters and do you still get the summer after OMS I off?

Thanks!

I started in 2007 so I still got that first summer off. all the rest of my breaks have been pretty much filled. I had three courses while studying for Step II.

Hey Bones.
I don't post much and haven't been on SDN in a long time, but I had to weigh in on this one.

I want to wish you nothing but good luck. From what you have shown on this thread, I think you'd make an awesome doc, extremely hard working and sincere. Seriously man, keep going, you can do it. I'm 3 exams in at NSUCOM and I know they offer a very cheap dual DO/MPH. Consider coming here...it's a great school, I love it. The adcom is quite fair I think too, though I'm not sure if you mentioned NSU or not in one of the schools you applied to.

Again, I wish you the best of luck. You have more motivation and sincereity than most of my class and I really hope you come out the end of this tunnel as a doctor.

Peace!
Mark

once you're out, you're out. it's only fair to give someone else a chance, someone who won't fail

Reactions: 1 user
once you're out, you're out. it's only fair to give someone else a chance, someone who won't fail

It its a true quality of a future physician to show such mutual respect, understanding and compassion for a fellow human being. Well done!:thumbdown:

Reactions: 2 users
It its a true quality of a future physician to show such mutual respect, understanding and compassion for a fellow human being. Well done!:thumbdown:

Must be one of those gunners I heard so much about.:cool:

Must be one of those gunners I heard so much about.:cool:

Well I asked for honesty. If that's how they feel I welcome honest opinions...just hope to prove the negative ones wrong :)

Well I asked for honesty. If that's how they feel I welcome honest opinions...just hope to prove the negative ones wrong :)

I know what you mean, I'm trying to do the same thing by getting into med school.

I don't really have any proper advice to give... I just wanted to add that I've read through this entire thread and I wanted to wish you good luck. I genuinely hope it works out for you.