Failed out of DO program, trying to get back in

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congratz to the OP...I'm in a different situation where I passed my courses but failed COMLEX...What can you do with 2 years of medical school coursework completed (all courses passed)? Can you transfer those credits anywhere like into another (DO, PA, DMD) program or are those pretty much 2 years wasted?

Best bet is to repeat 2nd year and sit for COMLEX the following year. This will give you time to take a formal board review class as well. I know someone who did that and came out OK, matched into TRI last year. Generally you have a limit on COMLEX attempts depending on school - if you get down to your last attempt (often the 3rd, rarely the 4th before dismissal) I recommend that approach. If you've already been dismissed, it will be a difficult sell to get another Osteopathic school to accept you if you've failed the COMLEX multiple times. I have heard of Caribbean schools giving advanced standing for DO training in lieu of passing COMLEX but this is anecdotal, and if this is allowed I wouldn't go straight for the USMLE - resume as a MS-II and try step I with the material reinforced and fresh in your mind. How many times did you fail COMLEX, by how much and how were your system grades and MCAT?

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah this is a really old thread and I never updated people but did in another thread...I passed and moved on with rotations months ago...

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Not a medical student, but as a frequent SDN lurker-I just would like to say that bonesDO is not only an inspiration for medical students, but all students (especially in health care-where everything is cutthroat and students have the "only the strong survive mentality") who are currently facing challenges as well. You're going to be an awesome attending one day, bonesDO. I agree that you should pay it forward one day when you see a current med student struggling. I have a feeling that you would be a great mentor to another student and the experiences and challenges you faced at school will make you all the more relatable to your patients. It sincerely warms my heart to hear these kinds of stories. Keep up the good work, bonesDO!

Reactions: 8 users
<--- Chief PGY III as of April of this year!

Reactions: 27 users
<--- Chief PGY III as of April of this year!

Congrats Bones! It looks like you matched in a competitive EM/FM program. I'm curious, can you comment on how your app cycle played out and whether the failure was a real hindrance?

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats Bones! It looks like you matched in a competitive EM/FM program. I'm curious, can you comment on how your app cycle played out and whether the failure was a real hindrance?

Only FM but it's working out well, all my electives in rural EM with a good mentor who's been an ED doc for 25 years. Failure didn't hinder me, I played the match incorrectly, should've done usmle and applied to more programs ... it was a pain getting back into medical school, delayed my progression by 2 years.

Reactions: 2 users
Only FM but it's working out well, all my electives in rural EM with a good mentor who's been an ED doc for 25 years. Failure didn't hinder me, I played the match incorrectly, should've done usmle and applied to more programs ... it was a pain getting back into medical school, delayed my progression by 2 years.

Hey BonesDO, congrats on your uphill battle to become a doc. I recall you mentioning in your earlier posts that you have ranked 6 programs with an average Comlex score, two of which you believe gave you the idea that you're up there on their list. Exactly how many Invites did you receive and was it because the two programs that have listed you high on their list, caused you to only rank 6 programs? I figured ranking anywhere between 10-11 would give you a much better shot.

Over 2.5 years overdue, but I was over confident and didn't rank enough programs, entirely my own fault, but happy with how things worked out, going to assistant director training in Knoxville next month. I still get periodic emails from folks on here, most can get back into school and finish if they are getv motivated.

Reactions: 14 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Man, this was a hell of a thread to read. All I can say is OP is the type of doctor I want if I ever need one. Congrats on everything you earned.

Reactions: 1 user
Congratulations, you are an inspiration. Hope you continue to do great things!

So he’s a practicing doc now? Sorry I don’t have time to sift through 400 responses. From what I saw this is a super inspirational story though!

So he’s a practicing doc now? Sorry I don’t have time to sift through 400 responses. From what I saw this is a super inspirational story though!
there's a twist, but you have to read all the posts to find it. :p

He ended up transferring to a md school. Now he’s a rocket surgeon. Have to read all the posts to see how, though.

Reactions: 5 users
Booooo give us the TL;DR
'You will appreciate it more if you do the work yourself'

This thread took 9 years to make, surely you can spend half an hour and read it. :p

Holy geees, OP you need to write a book and pitch this to a movie company. Rocky for doctors.