failed pediatric boards - looking for study partner and advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i can be your study partner and we can do phone study sessions everyday on the phone for 1-3 hrs. I live in california so there is a time difference if thats ok.

Members don't see this ad.

I can be your study partner. We can have phone study sessions everyday.

Hey, what about FIRST AID for Pediatrics or MedStudy Peds. They have good reviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
hi
would you like to have a phone study session every day for 1 hour to discuss questions?
Dear Pedsr,

Hello! I'm determined to pass this time and would love to have a serious study buddy to optimize the last 2 months spurt. Can I join your phone study group? Please let me know!

Mangopeachsalsa

I just finished the exam 5 days ago. It was tough. This is my second time, I feel like I have done much better than the first time but I am not sure about the results. Any feedback from the people have taken it this year!! Good Luck to everybody

I just finished the exam 5 days ago. It was tough. This is my second time, I feel like I have done much better than the first time but I am not sure about the results. Any feedback from the people have taken it this year!! Good Luck to everybody

Meh, who knows? I marked about 1/4 of the questions - I typically mark the ones that seem harder to me or the ones that I just have no clue on.

So I think things went well, but who knows. Remember, there are plenty of "feeler" questions out there that they prep for next year (and those don't even count!). Maybe I thought that the feeler questions were the easy ones and they won't count towards increasing my percentage. Hopefully though, many of the questions that I marked as difficult are the "feeler" questions and will be tossed out.

At any rate, I'll just have to wait and sweat it out like everyone else.

I too found it difficult. I felt it was a little better this time around...hope we passed!

I am looking for a serious study partner to crack the pediatric board this october .We can share ideas ,views and effective studying strategies. phone study and discussing core study materials.If interested please contact this email id
[email protected]

Thanks

Hi ,please contact me I am looking for a study partner
[email protected]
thanks

Unfortunately, I didn't pass the peds boards. So, I'm looking for the following:

a) advice from anyone would like to give me constructive ideas.
b) advice from anyone who failed in the past, came up with an effective game plan, and passed.
c) a study partner, who although is probably depressed due to the their score, can put the emotions aside and begin to study with a structured plan, and commit a lot of time - immediately (or at least in the next week or two).
d) any good deals on review books, beside (the Laugh Your Way to Passing the Pediatric Boards series).

4) maybe a therapist :(

I failed peds exam twice and now I am depressed, and panicking because I simply gotta pass it this year. my carier is going so well, but I need to get this exam or I might need to look for another job :(
so
I seriously need to get a study partner so please contact me :
[email protected]

I went throung medstudy core, sylabus and live course, zitelli, prep q last 7 years.... and still didn't get passing score...I am always close but can;t get over that hump :(

Members don't see this ad :)
I failed peds exam twice and now I am depressed, and panicking because I simply gotta pass it this year. my carier is going so well, but I need to get this exam or I might need to look for another job :(
so
I seriously need to get a study partner so please contact me :
[email protected]

I went throung medstudy core, sylabus and live course, zitelli, prep q last 7 years.... and still didn't get passing score...I am always close but can;t get over that hump :(

I think you're going through too many things. I took the test twice. The first time, I made the same mistakes you did. The second time I increased my score by >30%.

I was much more focused on what I was studying the second time. I took lots of notes after the test and took lots of notes as I studied. I've taken those notes and I'm now authoring a new study guide that will be available for both online access and for offline access as books for purchase.

Regardless of which resource you use, I recommend that you choose one study guide and know it inside and out. PREP questions + one GOOD resource is what you need.

The problem is that many of the sources are either too general, too detailed or too expensive.

- If you choose one that's too general, look up EVERYTHING so that you know the topics inside and out.

- If you choose one that looks too detailed, try to focus on the "standard of care" for a pediatrician. Keep in mind that the ABP is looking to board certify you as a pediatrician, not a gastroenterologist or cardiologist. Focus on what you would need to do as a general pediatrician who is put in that situation.

- If you choose one of the expensive courses, PLEASE try to ignore the lecturers "pet projects." I've noticed that many lecturers love to talk about their favorite research project and go into detail that just confuses people. Focus on core pediatrics instead.

Does that help?

Let me know if you want/need more advice.

I failed it twice...both times, did 5 years of PREP and MedStudy Question Book and , but did not do those that thoroughly. Last year, attended the MedStudy review course for the first time and read the highllights of the MedStudy review books also on top of the Qs. I don't know what to do this time... Should I do all the content specs? Get LWY book? Do 8 years of PREP really thoroughly this time? Read MedStudy books cover to cover? Thinking about getting MP3 audio to listen to every day without wasting time when I walk my dog, go to work and work out also! Starting to panic since I haven't really done much because of the fear-induced procrastination and busy life. Does anyone need a study partner in NYC?!?!
Hi. I read your post. I failed the first time too. I passed the 2nd time and increased my score by > 30%. I'm wondering if you ended up passing in 2010...?

I'm authoring a new study guide and would really like to know more about your studying experiences. The good and the bad. Which resources you used, what you liked, what you didn't like, etc.

In return, I'd be happy to give you some more advice. If nothing else, I'm going to create an online forum specifically for pediatric residents and new pediatricians who plan on taking the American Board of Pediatrics initial certification exam. Maybe that will come in handy for you.

I failed it twice...both times, did 5 years of PREP and MedStudy Question Book and , but did not do those that thoroughly. Last year, attended the MedStudy review course for the first time and read the highllights of the MedStudy review books also on top of the Qs. I don't know what to do this time... Should I do all the content specs? Get LWY book? Do 8 years of PREP really thoroughly this time? Read MedStudy books cover to cover? Thinking about getting MP3 audio to listen to every day without wasting time when I walk my dog, go to work and work out also! Starting to panic since I haven't really done much because of the fear-induced procrastination and busy life. Does anyone need a study partner in NYC?!?!
Hi. I replied to your post. Not sure why my post got posted on a different thread. Please see: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=11031376 for my reply to you. In short, I'm authoring a new study guide and creating a new site.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well did you pass?
I have to after failing twice and not studying twice...Insane?
So it seems I need to study the questions and answers for PREP for the last 5 years. (And read Laughing and look at Zitelli?)
Does anyone read the PIR articles/ Should I buy the PIR articles from the last 5 years?
I will be doing this while working and tending to my 3 kids (alone).
Thanks for any advice!

How do you obtain old Prep questions? I have paper (and CD) copies of 2010 and 2011 and will be getting 2012 in the beginning of next year. I've read that it's ideal to do 5 years of Prep, so where would I get paper or CD versions of 2009 and 2008 questions? I have online 2009 questions right now but those will expire at the end of this year.

Yes I am also looking for 2008 Prep CD Questions and critiques. There have to be tons out there. Criagslist?

How do you obtain old Prep questions? I have paper (and CD) copies of 2010 and 2011 and will be getting 2012 in the beginning of next year. I've read that it's ideal to do 5 years of Prep, so where would I get paper or CD versions of 2009 and 2008 questions? I have online 2009 questions right now but those will expire at the end of this year.

Hey guys. The AAP offers old PREP questions for purchase. Go to the following link, sign in, and find out how much it costs:
https://www.nfaap.org/netforum/eweb...aap.org&webcode=aapjou_results&prd_code=PREPC

Doing PREP questions is definitely key. I don't think you have to do 5 years, though. 3 years should be enough as long as you go through them thoroughly. Be sure to focus on core info and try to not to get too caught up with studying about the zebras. Hope the link helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi

I would like to have a study partner to go over pediatric board materials and questions for the next 4 months before the boards.

Thanks

Email :[email protected]

Hi

I would like to have a study partner to go over pediatric board materials and questions for the next 4 months before the boards.

Thanks

Email :[email protected]

Hi! I agree!

Just graduating and scared out of my mind for the boards... especially after reading all of this stuff about people failing.

I'd like to have a study buddy, or study buddies too. Is anyone up for creating some kind of peds study group?

- jenn

[email protected]

I just wanted to thank everyone on this discussion. It is very helpful as am preparing for the boards in coming October.

BUMP!

The boards are coming up soon...would any others like to share what they did to pass the pedi boards?

Does anyone have PREP board questions (2007, 2008, 2009, 2010) that they are looking to sell?

I am starting to study for boards now having failed the xam makes you feel worthless. I want to study in the right direction this year. I want to know, if i look at content specfications, which year to look for.I am going to use laughing, medstudy and prep with zitelli. starting early to do hard core studying. Its very humiliating.

hey geoamp,
i need 2007/2008 prep questions..send me a pm if u have them

Anyone have PREP for sale? I have 2010 and nothing else.

Also has anyone taken the LIVE Medstudy course? Is it worth attending? I'm debating bc it's a lot of $ and a whole week off that I could use to study or rest. But I'm a horrible test taker and thinking I could use all the help I can get...

Hi ped2be

a) advice from anyone would like to give me constructive ideas.
- i'm in your boat so I say study your buns off! I'm using PBR this year and loving it. It's got a great outline in the front on how to study. Much more encouraged about this year!

b) advice from anyone who failed in the past, came up with an effective game plan, and passed.
- i'm hoping the 2nd time's a charm

c) a study partner
- I'm game! I'd really like to have some type of online study group. SDN looks great but I'm having a tough time figuring out how to use it to study with people. Anyone have any ideas? Can we use Facebook somehow?

d) any good deals on review books, beside (the Laugh Your Way to Passing the Pediatric Boards series).
- i think the PBR "bundle pack" is a great deal. I'm using it exclusively this year.
- last year, i also liked the med study dermatology section in their dvd course, but regret the thousand bucks i spend on it

4) maybe a therapist
- let me know if you find one too!

Hello. I am a solo pediatrician and am taking Peds board exam in Nov 2012(MOC).
I have been reading Oski's Pediatric Board Recertification book(600+ pp), and am looking for PREP questions for 3-4 yrs. I also need the Z book for picture review. Can anyone help/direct me? Need them ASAP!!!!

I finally finally passed the pediatric boards. It took me 3 times. I found it difficult to find just what the heck to study so for anyone that's interested this is how I studied:
1. Started in January- did prep 2002-2006 and medstudy cd 2008 questions. Every question I missed- I wrote the explanation down in laughing your way. Then I read lyw twice- cover to cover- with my notes
This all took me from January till July.
2. Attended medstudy review course in Dallas in August- great course- but go prepared!
3. Aug-October: did prep 2007-2012 as practice tests- highly recommend that. Also added notes from these questions to my LYW. Added course material to LYW as well- although picked and chose what I thought was good. Did medstudy questions cd 2012. Also did Flashcards from medstudy after studying each topic.
4. Last two weeks- read LYW cover to cover again
Ok this was probably overkill but with a job/kids/etc- I couldn't take any chances.
Hope this helps!

I finally finally passed the pediatric boards. It took me 3 times. I found it difficult to find just what the heck to study so for anyone that's interested this is how I studied:
1. Started in January- did prep 2002-2006 and medstudy cd 2008 questions. Every question I missed- I wrote the explanation down in laughing your way. Then I read lyw twice- cover to cover- with my notes
This all took me from January till July.
2. Attended medstudy review course in Dallas in August- great course- but go prepared!
3. Aug-October: did prep 2007-2012 as practice tests- highly recommend that. Also added notes from these questions to my LYW. Added course material to LYW as well- although picked and chose what I thought was good. Did medstudy questions cd 2012. Also did Flashcards from medstudy after studying each topic.
4. Last two weeks- read LYW cover to cover again
Ok this was probably overkill but with a job/kids/etc- I couldn't take any chances.
Hope this helps!

Congrats man (or woman)! I know that has to be a relief. I passed today too.

I cant state enough that PREP questions are different than the real exam questions because PREP question stems are longer. Ironically, longer question stems are easier because they give you lots of information in there to rule out wrong answers.

The real board exam questions dont give you as much information, and there's no buzz words at all on them. Thats not to say that PREP questions arent helpful, because they are, but be prepared that the real questions wont look the same way. They test over the same material, but they dont give easy buzzwords or physical exam findings that you can use to quickly wipe out wrong answers.

EXACTLY! congrats to the both of you too. i feel like I'm cloud 9 after finally passing that crazy exam. You're right about prep questions not being similar to the boards. Here's why - http://www.pediatricsboardreview.com/why-prep-questions-are-not-the-best-study-questions

i can't say enough about the PBR books and online guides. had so much fun studyin on my ipad and Ashish (author) made himself so available by email it was kind of crazy

also, for anyone who has failed and is at their wits end, i have to recommend getting a tutor that can help you figure out how to pass board related questions. I used the coach Peggy course through PBR and it was AWESOME. REally helped me thin the stems out, eliminate answer choices and end up with just one or 2 options even when i didn't know much about the topic!

love it... killed it... I'M BOARD CERTIFIED MOM!

Anyone selling the PREP CD or peds medstudy or LYW? please pm me