Failed Rotation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FinalFantasyFan

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am really in need of advice. My cycle X preceptor failed me for my rotation on the grounds of academic integrity and lack of drug knowledge. I have passed all of my other rotations (6) with As and Bs. My friends tell me that I have been wronged and should fight for it. Should I just take the make up rotation or fight for it?

I was called to school and the final decision (Per my preceptor) was for me to continue with a D at most(will require a retake) or to withdraw and receive an F. I chose to withdraw. I am supposed to meet with the coordinator on Thursday for follow up to look at the professor’s critiques.

Here is how the facts lay out.

Week 1: I am on a rotation with another student (A). Our rotation is at a retail outlet but our professor is a clinical professor with his own office there. We do doctor calls normally at the site. Usually our site is the retail outlet (which I am never late and usually half an hour early) but one day he asked us to show up at our school because he had to give a lecture. That day, I encountered traffic and was very late. I texted him when I was able to park the car. I also apologized profusely, but he said I should have pulled to the side and called. Minutes latter, I and the girl mentioned that we needed to go back to our car to put in tokens for parking. He was upset and dismissed us for the day. Rest of the days were relatively normal. On another day, we were going over beta blockers and he asked us about side effects. I mentioned orthostatic hypotension and he says it’s wrong. I told him that my previous preceptor told me this and he got defensive and threatened to fail me (We can continue this argument and you can find out what you will be getting) We even went to school with him to help him grade pharm comm. That week.

Week 2: He drills us with question and I don’t know a lot of answers. He tells us to look them up and I do. He would ask us the next day, I can’t recall everything but I did look them up (He doesn’t allow us to use notes we write). He tells me that my answers are not detailed enough and essentially wrong. I show up early on site every day. The other student mentions that she has to go to midyear. The professor asked her to make up the missed days and do a journal club. We did a project to present at the senior center for him. He asks me if I’m doing the same amount of work as the other girl (He seemed to imply that the other girl was complaining about me not doing work). I confronted the other student about it. She denies “throwing me under the bus” After the presentation, he asked us on our way back what we did wrong on the presentation. Made us type our critiques. Told me my critiques were too short and to redo it. We had to go to NYC for a meeting. He gave us home work (night before NYC) to write P comm. questions and talked about directions. I misheard him and sent the questions via email but he wanted them on a hard drive. So he calls the other girl and complains. I woke up at 5 am to get there but was delayed by the train. I call him ahead of time. I was further delayed because the security didn’t know where the meeting was. I was 5 minutes late and he flips out after the meeting. This is before thanksgiving. He tells me that I’m currently failing the course and he wants the P comm and presentation critiques redone. At this point I contact the coordinator. During thanks giving break he calls us on our phone to make sure we are working on another senior presentation and writing his P comm. questions. He critiques me because he felt that I was slow to respond sometimes. Then when I email and text him, he tells me to chill.

Week 3: He said that my presentation critiques were too long and it seemed like I was desperate. We did the another senior presentation and we did critiques again. Answering questions always as usual. Got a D on my midpoint and a 75 on my first presentation even though he said it was good. Me and the other students do doctor calls for him and blood pressure counseling regularly. During blood pressure counseling, me and the other student talk about grades. She shouts very loudly “Grades don’t matter so much, why do you care” I felt that she wanted the other pharmacists working there to hear us.

Week 4: We go to school again to help grade papers. The coordinator asks to talk to me. I tell the whole story and she advised me to work with him. Next day the preceptor behaves much friendlier than usual. He told us to study for tomorrow’s topic discussion. I studied hard and he told us we did a good job that day. This is where it goes downhill. He gave us some questions to answer and tells us not to share answers. Next day he tells us to do blood pressure counseling. During counseling there was not a lot of customer so I asked her to test me on my knowledge. She did. Then moments latter she disappears. Then the professor asks me to go in his room. He asked me if I asked the other student for answers. I explained myself. He got a pen and paper and started asking me those questions. For each one he would ask for a source. After the session, he said that he has to think about if he’s going to fail me. He calls the coordinator to set up a 3 way meeting next week. He asks me to email him and the coordinator my sources and citations by 1pm the next day then changes the directions to noon (I missed his directions again). He told me that “he’s not that cruel” and that he would let me know over the weekend if he’s going to fail me. Then he calls and says looks like it’ll have to be Monday.

Monday: I presented my case. He interjected and said that my citations were late and I didn’t follow directions again. Then they both accuse me of cheating. They took a LONG time to discuss in private. There was another faculty as well. Of note, my sources match what I gave him, otherwise I would have gotten worse. I honestly did the work myself but I just don't remember easily and I was extremely nervous when he was asking me the drug questions. In fact my last rotation, the preceptor told me to take my time to answer questions and be more confident.

The professor offered me 2 options. First is to continue the rotation and receive a D (Will still have to retake). The other option is to withdraw and get a F. He said which ever you choose “Don’t worry, I won’t be offended” I chose to withdraw because frankly I don’t enjoy working with him.

Fast forward, I am supposed to meet the coordinator this Thursday before our reflection session.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Oh forgot to mention. Apparently he has failed other students before me. Today during reflection, I grabbed the law professor and told him I needed advice. Law professor tells me to email or call. During this time, the professor rushes to our side and starts a conversation with another person .

Members don't see this ad :)
If you want to fight this then you should get an attorney. Of course I don't know the whole situation but you need to be fairly represented. The only way is to get an attorney.

Some professors are just bullies and think they can treat you badly because you are a student.

Btw, a lot of these professors don't get pay at the place they work. They are just "volunteers" and their salary comes directly from your tuition.

Reactions: 1 users
Professors are paid using tuition money? This is your most shocking post to date.

It was a surprise when I learned my professors, who are always talking about clinical pharmacy, are not being paid for their clinical work. They can't bill for their work so their salary solely depends on our tuition. They are training us for a job that doesn't exist outside of academia but yet some of them have the biggest ego ever.

Reactions: 1 user
It was a surprise when I learned my professors, who are always talking about clinical pharmacy, are not being paid for their clinical work. They can't bill for their work so their salary solely depends on our tuition. They are training us for a job that doesn't exist outside of academia but yet some of them have the biggest ego ever.
Those jobs do exist outside of academia. We have a mix of preceptors, some paid by the health system, others paid by the school directly. By and large many have very similar practice sites.

Just my experience.

Those jobs do exist outside of academia. We have a mix of preceptors, some paid by the health system, others paid by the school directly. By and large many have very similar practice sites.

Just my experience.

I agree. The jobs exist outside of academia. They aren't as plentiful as dispensing jobs, which is why colleges of pharmacy place their faculty into practice sites so they can train students at those sites. My IM/cardiology rotation was with a professor who was placed in the health care system by the college. Who was paying his salary was pretty irrelevant to the learning experience.

Who was paying his salary was pretty irrelevant to the learning experience.

You can't be serious. At my school faculty salary is tied with students' tuition. In order for their salary to go up, tuition must also go up since there is no other source of income so there is a constant pressure to increase tuition.

You can't be serious. At my school faculty salary is tied with students' tuition. In order for their salary to go up, tuition must also go up so there is a constant pressure to increase tuition.

But how does that affect what the student learns? That was my point.

I got booted from a rotation for being a tad too vocal for being forced to stand in a cubicle and put pills in boxes for 10 hours a day at Omnicare. I was was "disrespectful" and "unprofessional." I just straight up told the dude I got nothing out of it and was bored out of my mind. Literally hours later, I'm in the dean's office getting the old high school principle treatment. And 7 years later, I still look back at the entire school/rotation process as ridiculous. A source of laughter for me. The stress those a-holes cause young adults for no real reason actually makes me pretty upset now. There is no reason for it.

Just jump through whatever nonsense hoops they put in front of you, then laugh when they have the gull to ask for donations later on. Its what I do.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If pharmacy professors' salary is from 50% tuition and 50% work site, I can assure you students would receive a better education. These professors would then have to find sites that would actually pay them to do real life pharmacist work. As a result students would actually learn something that is practical when they work as a pharmacist.

But then again, we all know academia clinical pharmacy is just a fantasy. They can't get pay for the services they provide. Every few years they come up with a new buzz word to get students all excited. A few years ago it was "MTM". Now it is "provider status". Tomorrow it will be "pharmacy practitioner"

So learning things like management of diabetes is impractical? I disagree.

Get real. Most of these sites don't let the professors have any real authority. They just do case studies on a piece of paper and make recommendations. The physician can choose to ignore it if she wishes. How is that a good learning experience?

My community pharmacy rotation wasn't nearly as bad as the opener's....but I was also doing tech/filling trivial work for the first 2 weeks. I told my preceptor I wasn't benefiting from doing that kind of labor. I tried to be respectful...but I did stand up for myself and pointed out I was paying expensive tuition to learn and didn't want to be used as free labor. I was willing to fill, but not all day...and I asked for some time to work with the pharmacists and have them share any advice,tips, and experiences. Preceptor seemed hesitant at first, but then made an effort to spend time to teach me about the managerial and business side of retail pharmacy. He said he wasn't offended and from that point on....I did get a little more out of the rotation.

I ended up getting a C in the rotation (most community pharmacy rotations are an easy A); I guess he was offended when I stood up for myself because I didn't want to fill all day.

To the opener, if your preceptor is truthfully how you describe him....you need to take a stand and file a serious complaint to your coordinator,dean, whomever will listen. It sounds like this guy abuses his students. If I was in your position, I would seriously consider hiring an attorney to fight this.

Because of the saturation, pharmacy schools are so desperate for sites. They don't want to offend these sites and to make sure the students actually learn something because they need them for accreditation. Hell, they even pay these sites to take their students. It is now all about keeping the gravy train rolling along.

Free labor + fee = what a deal!

Get real. Most of these sites don't let the professors have any real authority. They just do case studies on a piece of paper and make recommendations. The physician can choose to ignore it if she wishes. How is that a good learning experience?
Lol...where did you go to school? Your experiences are nothing like mine.

For one thing, almost none of our faculty are paid fully by the school. Most of ours are 80% hospital paid, 20% school paid. It's supposed to correlate with the amount of time at each place. Those who only teach a couple lectures or who just take P4s are not paid by the school at all. As for our am care pharmacists, they all have prescribing authority....no recommendations made, they just write Rxs to the patient. They also see patients...not look at case studies on paper. Seriously, where did you go? Some podunk new school in Arkansas or something?

Edit: The am care pharmacists also bill insurance for their services.

Real prescription authority? It is not "real" when you are working under a protocol of a physician or nurse.

Show me your state law that allows this.

P.S I went to one of the best known pharmacy schools. You would be surprise when I tell you.

Your school must not have very good rotations. None of mine were like that.

Lol...where did you go to school? Your experiences are nothing like mine.

For one thing, almost none of our faculty are paid fully by the school. Most of ours are 80% hospital paid, 20% school paid. It's supposed to correlate with the amount of time at each place. Those who only teach a couple lectures or who just take P4s are not paid by the school at all. As for our am care pharmacists, they all have prescribing authority....no recommendations made, they just write Rxs to the patient. They also see patients...not look at case studies on paper. Seriously, where did you go? Some podunk new school in Arkansas or something?

Edit: The am care pharmacists also bill insurance for their services.

Yes, I had a rotation in an AmCare clinic where the pharmacist (faculty member) just saw the patients, made interventions, and wrote the necessary prescriptions. In residency, I helped run the clinic. We definitely billed insurance for our services.

Need help. Meeting coordinator tomorrow.

P.S. This preceptor is a faculty member as well.

why should preceptors get paid for offering rotations? They already have free labor... just plain greedy.

hey man, I agree with other people that some preceptors are "not nice", they may look down on students and behave "disrespectfully". BUT I have a couple of questions for you...
1. Is your preceptor going to fail the other student?
2. Has your preceptor failed more people than other preceptors you know?
3. Do more people pass his rotation? or fail his rotation?
4. What have you learned when you made a mistake?
Let me help you with question 4, this is what happened in the first two weeks according to your post here, and I do not know if there is anything else you have done wrong.
"That day, I encountered traffic and was very late."
"I mentioned orthostatic hypotension and he says it’s wrong. I told him that my previous preceptor told me this..."
"He would ask us the next day, I can’t recall everything but I did look them up"
"I misheard him and sent the questions via email but he wanted them on a hard drive"
"I was 5 minutes late and he flips out after the meeting"
many who failed a rotation complain about the preceptor or the site or the patient or co-worker or others, but few actually think about what he/she has done wrong or could have done better
my advise would be, beg your preceptor for a passing grade and tell him what you have done wrong and what changes you will make. If he insists to fail you, just take it, forget about it and move on. And if you learn from this then eventually you will succeed. maybe...

why should preceptors get paid for offering rotations? They already have free labor... just plain greedy.

My hospital gets paid to precept students - I personally do not directly get the money - but goes into a pool to pay for CE, etc. Students are not free labor - we are taking our time to teach them, and hopefully by the end of the rotation they can do some of the work, which of course, I would have to check all of. If you are simply free labor, you are simply doing a tech job and it is a POOR rotation. I had one of those, if they were like that, then none of the new graduates would be ready to work as pharmacists. (which I know some people would argue may be close to the truth)

Need help. Meeting coordinator tomorrow.

P.S. This preceptor is a faculty member as well.

Be polite and stay calm. Acknowledge the things you did wrong and be remorseful. Don't make excuses. Instead of, "I was late because _____________," stick to "I'm sorry I was late. It won't happen again."

What is your desired outcome? To be allowed to repeat the rotation? To get your grade changed?

Do you plan to just use this as a learning experience? I would say to clearly spell out what you want out of the meeting (e.g., change your grade), but it's hard to argue for that outcome when you willingly took the F. When given 2 options, that is when you should have declined either and fought for a fair grade.

When going in, bring documentation (emails) of the unreasonable requests, with time stamps if possible. This could strengthen your argument on why you missed his instructions. If he had rules for his rotation that he shared, I would bring those as well.

In the end, I'd just be respectful moving forward for any future preceptor/boss and look at this as a teaching moment that life isn't always fair, and how you handled that unfairness this time didn't work out in your favor.

To BMB, pharmacists actually have prescribing authority. This isn't a collaborative practice agreement either. However, the drugs found on the limited list indicating what is allowed for pharmacists to prescribe have either gone OTC or are rarely used anymore due to better options. Technically, the authority is still there, but now it's been rendered useless.

I realized this as well - why are they pushing residency for clinical pharmacy when this job does not exist??? It's crazy. I loved my clinical rotation, but was kind of annoyed that my preceptor/professor would up and leave when they felt like it, but then I realized that they have that flexibility because they are not getting paid. It would be an ideal job if it actually existed!

Hi everyone,

I am really in need of advice. My cycle 6 preceptor failed me for my rotation on the grounds of academic integrity and lack of drug knowledge. I have passed all of my other rotations (6) with As and Bs. My friends tell me that I have been wronged and should fight for it. Should I just take the make up rotation or fight for it?

I was called to school and the final decision (Per my preceptor) was for me to continue with a D at most(will require a retake) or to withdraw and receive an F. I chose to withdraw. I am supposed to meet with the coordinator on Thursday for follow up to look at the professor’s critiques.

Here is how the facts lay out.

Week 1: I am on a rotation with another student (A). Our rotation is at a retail outlet but our professor is a clinical professor with his own office there. We do doctor calls normally at the site. Usually our site is the retail outlet (which I am never late and usually half an hour early) but one day he asked us to show up at our school because he had to give a lecture. That day, I encountered traffic and was very late. I texted him when I was able to park the car. I also apologized profusely, but he said I should have pulled to the side and called. Minutes latter, I and the girl mentioned that we needed to go back to our car to put in tokens for parking. He was upset and dismissed us for the day. Rest of the days were relatively normal. On another day, we were going over beta blockers and he asked us about side effects. I mentioned orthostatic hypotension and he says it’s wrong. I told him that my previous preceptor told me this and he got defensive and threatened to fail me (We can continue this argument and you can find out what you will be getting) We even went to school with him to help him grade pharm comm. That week.

Week 2: He drills us with question and I don’t know a lot of answers. He tells us to look them up and I do. He would ask us the next day, I can’t recall everything but I did look them up (He doesn’t allow us to use notes we write). He tells me that my answers are not detailed enough and essentially wrong. I show up early on site every day. The other student mentions that she has to go to midyear. The professor asked her to make up the missed days and do a journal club. We did a project to present at the senior center for him. He asks me if I’m doing the same amount of work as the other girl (He seemed to imply that the other girl was complaining about me not doing work). I confronted the other student about it. She denies “throwing me under the bus” After the presentation, he asked us on our way back what we did wrong on the presentation. Made us type our critiques. Told me my critiques were too short and to redo it. We had to go to NYC for a meeting. He gave us home work (night before NYC) to write P comm. questions and talked about directions. I misheard him and sent the questions via email but he wanted them on a hard drive. So he calls the other girl and complains. I woke up at 5 am to get there but was delayed by the train. I call him ahead of time. I was further delayed because the security didn’t know where the meeting was. I was 5 minutes late and he flips out after the meeting. This is before thanksgiving. He tells me that I’m currently failing the course and he wants the P comm and presentation critiques redone. At this point I contact the coordinator. During thanks giving break he calls us on our phone to make sure we are working on another senior presentation and writing his P comm. questions. He critiques me because he felt that I was slow to respond sometimes. Then when I email and text him, he tells me to chill.

Week 3: He said that my presentation critiques were too long and it seemed like I was desperate. We did the another senior presentation and we did critiques again. Answering questions always as usual. Got a D on my midpoint and a 75 on my first presentation even though he said it was good. Me and the other students do doctor calls for him and blood pressure counseling regularly. During blood pressure counseling, me and the other student talk about grades. She shouts very loudly “Grades don’t matter so much, why do you care” I felt that she wanted the other pharmacists working there to hear us.

Week 4: We go to school again to help grade papers. The coordinator asks to talk to me. I tell the whole story and she advised me to work with him. Next day the preceptor behaves much friendlier than usual. He told us to study for tomorrow’s topic discussion. I studied hard and he told us we did a good job that day. This is where it goes downhill. He gave us some questions to answer and tells us not to share answers. Next day he tells us to do blood pressure counseling. During counseling there was not a lot of customer so I asked her to test me on my knowledge. She did. Then moments latter she disappears. Then the professor asks me to go in his room. He asked me if I asked the other student for answers. I explained myself. He got a pen and paper and started asking me those questions. For each one he would ask for a source. After the session, he said that he has to think about if he’s going to fail me. He calls the coordinator to set up a 3 way meeting next week. He asks me to email him and the coordinator my sources and citations by 1pm the next day then changes the directions to noon (I missed his directions again). He told me that “he’s not that cruel” and that he would let me know over the weekend if he’s going to fail me. Then he calls and says looks like it’ll have to be Monday.

Monday: I presented my case. He interjected and said that my citations were late and I didn’t follow directions again. Then they both accuse me of cheating. They took a LONG time to discuss in private. There was another faculty as well. Of note, my sources match what I gave him, otherwise I would have gotten worse. I honestly did the work myself but I just don't remember easily and I was extremely nervous when he was asking me the drug questions. In fact my last rotation, the preceptor told me to take my time to answer questions and be more confident.

The professor offered me 2 options. First is to continue the rotation and receive a D (Will still have to retake). The other option is to withdraw and get a F. He said which ever you choose “Don’t worry, I won’t be offended” I chose to withdraw because frankly I don’t enjoy working with him.

Fast forward, I am supposed to meet the coordinator this Thursday before our reflection session.

Your preceptor just sounds like a very strict type A personality, and that type of professor is rarely every pleased with a student's performance. He/she probably had very high expectations of you and your lateness/confusion with direction (though unintentional on your part) made the preceptor annoyed with you. He/she expected you to be prompt, prepared, and a suck-up to them. I don't think there's much you can do now, other than accept the D/F that they gave you the choice of and express your concerns in a respectful way to your school admins. Unfortunately, whenever students complain, the school is automatically on the preceptor's side - they fund the preceptor, they need the sites, and sometimes they are personal friends. The innately think that the students are just complaining.....even if the complaints are valid. I'm sorry for your experience - sounds horrible.

I got booted from a rotation for being a tad too vocal for being forced to stand in a cubicle and put pills in boxes for 10 hours a day at Omnicare. I was was "disrespectful" and "unprofessional." I just straight up told the dude I got nothing out of it and was bored out of my mind. Literally hours later, I'm in the dean's office getting the old high school principle treatment. And 7 years later, I still look back at the entire school/rotation process as ridiculous. A source of laughter for me. The stress those a-holes cause young adults for no real reason actually makes me pretty upset now. There is no reason for it.

Just jump through whatever nonsense hoops they put in front of you, then laugh when they have the gull to ask for donations later on. Its what I do.

i had a nearly identical experience, though not omnicare. I did not vocalize my disgust though, I wrote it up in the eval after I had my grade.... but yeah. Bubble packing for 10 hours a day. That was FUN!

My professors that had "clinical" site were essentially volunteers with volunteers (the students) working for them. After doing rotation I realized that during the prior 3 years, while they all talked a big game about being "clinicians" etc, they were just full of crap.

yikes... good luck, and just know once you are working as a pharmacist, you will laugh at this experience, if everything you said is true, both the other student and the preceptor seemed like grade A douche lol I had a preceptor when I was a student that would come to me in the morning when I get in and tell me to research all the meds for a certain condition without any other details and then disappear, then comes back in the afternoon to drill me with questions lol

find another site to make this failed one up if you have too, takes extra work on yor part, but not that bad AND MOST impt thing to remember is, once you graduate and find a real job, no one will give a crap about this rotation, just like no one gives a crap about what you did in high school or even undergrad lol you will be a pharmacist like everyone else, so relax alil.... hope your meeting went well!

You're kidding, right? We managed diabetes and anti-coag without physician involvement on my rotation. With provider recognition, there is a strong possibility that those areas (and others frequently influenced by pharmacy) will expand for us.

Edit: the preceptor was funded by the hospital, FYI.

According to university policy, the perpetrator and helper are both punished.
I'm going to force the professor to give me a chance otherwise the other student fails with me

On top of that 'm calling it favoritism and getting advice from school admistrators.

I have completed my makeup rotation with an A and graduated.
The hooder of the graduation ceremony was the one who failed me. What an insult, I was shaking when I walked up there.

I still did not think I was fairly treated so on 8/19/2014 around 4pm, I spoke with director of office of integrity on the phone.

Explained what had happened and if my case can be taken as a breach of academic integrity. He implied that he would have considered it a breach. I then asked if based on the info I provided him, I could have a consequence of having my degree revoked if I filed a complaint and lost, he mentioned “no” based on what I have told him. He informed me that he knew the people I was talking about and I would have to file the case with the Pharmacy Dean.

When I mentioned that the professor made homophobic and racist actions and that I was Asian, his tone changed. I was told to get over it because I have already graduated. He kept on insisting that I let it go. I asked why is it OK for the Professor to treat me that way, he stated that its not OK but its not worth the effort.

I felt that he took a blind eye to bullying and discrimination

Furthermore, he told me that some student may have mental problems if they can’t get over it.

When asked, what kind of mental problems, he could not say.
I asked if he was implying that I had mental issues and he stated “Well.. I don’t know you well enough but I’m just saying”

The conversation ended when he stated that this is clearly going nowhere and he hung up on me.

Would he have said the same to publicized victims who comitted suicide? Would you tell him to get over it?

I really hope that there is a recording system and that the conversation was recorded.
A can't believe how insensitive this school is, no wonder faculty get away with bullying. I am strongly considering legal action.

Last edited:
There are a lot of crappy preceptors and sites especially now since pharmacy schools are desperate for sites.

Mind telling us what school did you graduate from?

Wow..... that's crazy and I'm sorry you had such a ****ty experience but good thing you got out and graduated on time. I think at this point if you are going to pursue any type of legal action, you need to make sure all your ducks are in a row. Write down everything, record every conversation, etc. At this point, its your word against his and that may be part of the reason why the director told you to just drop it. You may be able to say that he just a big jerk and has failed other students in the past but he can just as easily say it was because they deserved it. Sometimes people just hit a bad stroke of luck. You misheard his directions a few times, you were late and even though I believe that you didn't do these things on purpose, he could've been annoyed after incident #1, then things continued to happen which further fueled his frustrations. I also think you should've been a bit more cautious with things. Once you saw how anal and nit picky he was, there were things you could've done differently to keep him off your back. For example, when he gave you the questions to answer and told you not to share answers with the other student. At that point, you were several weeks into the rotation so you knew he was slightly off his rocker. Yet, you ask the other girl to quiz you and to him it appeared that you may have been cheating. Yes, I get it. You weren't, you all were just quizzing each other but perception doesn't have to be truth. To him, it looked like you were doing something you didn't have any business doing, and he was already on your case. After I saw how differently he treated me vs the other chick, I probably wouldn't have said anything else to her. She sounds like she may have been snitching too..... well maybe I shouldn't say that but you can never be too sure of people now. Also, the day you were late and you didn't text/call him right away, I may have to agree with him. You probably should've called as soon as you realized you would be late. Hell, once you hit traffic and didn't even know you would be late yet, you should've called just to give him the heads up that you MAY possibly be late. I would have but that's just me. Again, I don't want to sound like I'm coming down on you or that you did more wrong than good in this situation. Just saying, protect yourself. If nobody else is going to look out for you, you have to. Hope everything works out for you....

whew.... that was a long one. Not gonna lie..... I didn't read it all. But with the part I did read, I think you should leave out the part about the other student and how you think she got on the good side of the professor. It makes you sound like the bitter kid that wasn't invited into the cool kids group. Plus this letter is supposed to be about him and his inappropriate behaviors, not her. Also, I think you are trying to draw some conclusions and pull things together that may not be fair. For example, for you to say that he is clearly a homophobe because he made a comment about you drinking flavored coffee? That's a stretch. You have trouble remembering things, ok most people do. But his comment to you about your inability to remember facts is hardly discrimination based on a handicap or disability. Again, a stretch. At best, he sounds like a big A-hole but you also sound like you are very very easily intimidated and flustered and use that as a crutch. Yes, having a preceptor yell at you can be overwhelming but at some point you gotta suck it up and roll with the punches. He was mad so you missed your train? Come on.... that's a cop out. What's going to happen when you get a job and a customer, nurse, coworker, boss, director yells at you? You gonna get flustered and give somebody the wrong medicine? Also, the example you gave of him asking if he were to "trust one of you to complete a task, which would he choose?", that's hardly defamation. Defamation by definition is the communication of a false statement that harms the reputation of an individual, business, product,group, government, religion, or nation. Public humiliation? Ummm, maybe but it was only you, the preceptor and 1 other student. Don't know how many people should make up a "public". I guess my question to you is what are you looking to gain from this? A good friend of mine was on a rotation and her preceptor hit on her. Like full fledged caressing her hands, uncomfortably close, attempting to give back massages, etc. You would think that that would at the very least warrant a suspension, revocation of his precepting privileges or something, right? Wrong. They simply switched my friend's rotation schedule around so she wasn't there when he was and she was allowed to work with a different preceptor at that same site and nothing happened to him. Absolutely nothing. He sexually harassed a student and nothing happened. This guy was just mean to you so you can guess what will likely happen to him.... zip. zilch. nada. I applaud your efforts for going this far but I do think you gotta clean that letter up some and accept some responsibility in this situation too. Also-- and I mean this with the love of God-- Man Up!! You can't keep saying somebody scared you so much that you couldn't focus, or you missed your train, or walked out the house and left a big fire in the middle of the floor because you were distracted. I understand that it happens but you are entering a profession where people's lives depend on you being able to pay attention to detail and not be so easily distracted. You gotta learn to focus more and not let people get the best of you. Be confident. Again, good luck with everything.

Reactions: 2 users
whew.... that was a long one. Not gonna lie..... I didn't read it all. But with the part I did read, I think you should leave out the part about the other student and how you think she got on the good side of the professor. It makes you sound like the bitter kid that wasn't invited into the cool kids group. Plus this letter is supposed to be about him and his inappropriate behaviors, not her. Also, I think you are trying to draw some conclusions and pull things together that may not be fair. For example, for you to say that he is clearly a homophobe because he made a comment about you drinking flavored coffee? That's a stretch. You have trouble remembering things, ok most people do. But his comment to you about your inability to remember facts is hardly discrimination based on a handicap or disability. Again, a stretch. At best, he sounds like a big A-hole but you also sound like you are very very easily intimidated and flustered and use that as a crutch. Yes, having a preceptor yell at you can be overwhelming but at some point you gotta suck it up and roll with the punches. He was mad so you missed your train? Come on.... that's a cop out. What's going to happen when you get a job and a customer, nurse, coworker, boss, director yells at you? You gonna get flustered and give somebody the wrong medicine? Also, the example you gave of him asking if he were to "trust one of you to complete a task, which would he choose?", that's hardly defamation. Defamation by definition is the communication of a false statement that harms the reputation of an individual, business, product,group, government, religion, or nation. Public humiliation? Ummm, maybe but it was only you, the preceptor and 1 other student. Don't know how many people should make up a "public". I guess my question to you is what are you looking to gain from this? A good friend of mine was on a rotation and her preceptor hit on her. Like full fledged caressing her hands, uncomfortably close, attempting to give back massages, etc. You would think that that would at the very least warrant a suspension, revocation of his precepting privileges or something, right? Wrong. They simply switched my friend's rotation schedule around so she wasn't there when he was and she was allowed to work with a different preceptor at that same site and nothing happened to him. Absolutely nothing. He sexually harassed a student and nothing happened. This guy was just mean to you so you can guess what will likely happen to him.... zip. zilch. nada. I applaud your efforts for going this far but I do think you gotta clean that letter up some and accept some responsibility in this situation too. Also-- and I mean this with the love of God-- Man Up!! You can't keep saying somebody scared you so much that you couldn't focus, or you missed your train, or walked out the house and left a big fire in the middle of the floor because you were distracted. I understand that it happens but you are entering a profession where people's lives depend on you being able to pay attention to detail and not be so easily distracted. You gotta learn to focus more and not let people get the best of you. Be confident. Again, good luck with everything.
I totally disagree with this statement. If someone sexually harass you, you gotta make the hell out of them. PERIOD. JUSTICE MUST BE DONE!

I totally disagree with this statement. If someone sexually harass you, you gotta make the hell out of them. PERIOD. JUSTICE MUST BE DONE!

I never said I agreed with the fact that the preceptor wasn't punished, I was simply stating what actually happened in that situation. And this situation with FFF is much different than sexual harassment. Nobody violated his body and took advantage of him. His preceptor was just mean. And what exactly does "make the hell out of them" even mean?

Hi WhiteSnows, thank you for the support

cnicolef08, thank you for taking your time to read it and give me feedback. I will take your advice and revise it. I will try to make it less biased in tone.

The main reason I mentioned the other student is because, if they investigate, they will ask the other student and if the other student lies to protect herself/professor, it will look like I am making it all up.

P.S. what I want out of it is in the last sentence.

Regarding to man up. lol.. Its wierd but no one has ever made me nervous like that. I work as a technician and I can assure you that my meds are made correctly i.e. no mistakes, and I have no trouble communicating with other healthcare staff. I have worked 2 years there and even had a manager's choice award. But thank you for the advice. I will try to be more confident.