Failed RUSM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gonnamakeit13

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Failed caribbean medical school,should I just give up, try sth different?Take MCAT again? Re-apply to USA medical school?
27 year old

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Are you saying that you already went through at least one app cycle, did not get into a US school, went down to the Caribbean, flunked out of some for-profit school there, and are now wondering what your chances for US schools are? Lord, I hate to kick a guy or gal when they're down, but if this is your story, then heck yes, it's high time for you to give up and try something different. If you want some specific suggestions about alternative careers, it would be helpful to know a bit more info about you and what attracted you to medicine in the first place.

Reactions: 5 users
Yeah,that's my story and not gonna make any foolish decision or get motivated by stories of people still getting accepted into us medical schools after failing a caribbean med school.
The whole patient and physician interaction influenced me not knowing how hard the actual content of medicine is, and what it takes to be a doctor. I lived in a fairytale world thinking even I didn't do well in MCAT I still have a chance at Caribbean school. That alone should have been a RED FLAG for me.

Also,nothing u or any other anonymous member say would kick me to the curb. I already hit the rock bottom

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah,that's my story and not gonna make any foolish decision or get motivated by stories of people still getting accepted into us medical schools after failing a caribbean med school.

So, I'm going to be honest, the fact that you even mention this makes me think that is exactly what you are doing (scrounging up support/anecdotes of people going to U.S medical schools after failing out in the Caribbean to convince yourself that it can be done, that you can do it, and that it is worth the investment of the additional time and money).

While you may have hit bottom, I still don't think you are really prepared t0 walk away yet. Until you get to that point, I don't know that the advice that any poster in this thread offers is going to really change your mind. You're still addicted.

I wish you the very best.

Reactions: 1 users
Didn't mean it to come out as trying to get support from an anonymous people at random thread,but when you mention 'addicted,' maybe you're right! It is not easy to walk away from sth when you have invested so much time and effort into so perhaps those things such as getting residency beating the odds comes off as daydreaming. Honestly I don't have time for pity or sorrow.

My question would be if anyone knows if its worth applying to PA schools?

Reactions: 1 user
I can't answer that as my knowledge of the PA admissions process is even more limited than my knowledge of the medical school admissions process, but from what I have heard, PA schools are very competitive. Perhaps you should go to a PA forum?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Med school is likely finished. No point in giving you false hopes. Beat case, contact a few DO schools and ask them their thoughts. PA is extremely competitive but potentially possible. You need to look at your stats and see how competitive you are.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

@gonnamakeit13 I know of a PA school that will accept a passing Step 1 score for pre-reqs. Matriculant GPA of the program around a 3.3-3.5 sGPA/uGPA. CASPA opens in 2-3 days. Deadline admission is 1/2017. PM me if interested.

@gonnamakeit13 I know of a PA school that will accept a passing Step 1 score for pre-reqs. Matriculant GPA of the program around a 3.3-3.5 sGPA/uGPA. CASPA opens in 2-3 days. Deadline admission is 1/2017. PM me if interested.

Why not post what program it is here on the forum?

Why not post what program it is here on the forum?
The program is the CUNY York College PA Program. Attended their Open House last Friday where it was disclosed that this cycle they would accept a completed Step 1 in lieu of their pre-requisites (which I thought was interesting). This is the first year they are accepting applications through CASPA. They are an accredited program. Dated science courses e.g. 7+ years may not be accepted or require CLEP on basic Bio/Chem. Etc. Etc.

The program is the CUNY York College PA Program. Attended their Open House last Friday where it was disclosed that this cycle they would accept a completed Step 1 in lieu of their pre-requisites (which I thought was interesting). This is the first year they are accepting applications through CASPA. They are an accredited program. Dated science courses e.g. 7+ years may not be accepted or require CLEP on basic Bio/Chem. Etc. Etc.

And there it is folks...

OP, I would still STRONGLY suggest that you continue to evaluate your own statement: "not knowing how hard the actual content of medicine is, and what it takes to be a doctor." and whether or not you think you are really in a position to succeed in an alternate program/path.

And I'm not giving out this advice casually. I am constantly asking this very question of myself. Attempting to make sure that I am not simply addicted to the physician social concoction known as helping/pleasing/prestige.

Reactions: 1 users
The whole patient and physician interaction influenced me not knowing how hard the actual content of medicine is, and what it takes to be a doctor. I lived in a fairytale world thinking even I didn't do well in MCAT I still have a chance at Caribbean school. That alone should have been a RED FLAG for me.

I applaud your honesty. I think you should also look into the NP degree. It's going to be the easiest, most efficient route to seeing patients.

Also,nothing u or any other anonymous member say would kick me to the curb. I already hit the rock bottom
That's a pretty broad criterion; most health care positions involve patient interactions. How motivated are you to go to school for X number of years? If you want to jump into a patient care position ASAP, make decent money, and have a specialized skill that is transferable anywhere in the country, I'd suggest that you consider becoming a sonography or CT tech. You can be qualified for these jobs with only an AA. If you're willing to do an entire four year degree, you could consider a BSN and then work as an RN. If you want to be a provider, then I agree with other posters that your best bet is probably to do NP or PA school. But seriously, unless you're a professional student type, give some thought to doing the US tech path. US is the imaging modality of the future: cheap, no radiation, highly operator-dependent and not the kind of skill that can be remotely farmed out to India. And I can tell you that our US techs make some major bank every time I call them in at night to do a scan.

That's a pretty broad criterion; most health care positions involve patient interactions. How motivated are you to go to school for X number of years? If you want to jump into a patient care position ASAP, make decent money, and have a specialized skill that is transferable anywhere in the country, I'd suggest that you consider becoming a sonography or CT tech. You can be qualified for these jobs with only an AA. If you're willing to do an entire four year degree, you could consider a BSN and then work as an RN. If you want to be a provider, then I agree with other posters that your best bet is probably to do NP or PA school. But seriously, unless you're a professional student type, give some thought to doing the US tech path. US is the imaging modality of the future: cheap, no radiation, highly operator-dependent and not the kind of skill that can be remotely farmed out to India. And I can tell you that our US techs make some major bank every time I call them in at night to do a scan.
I strongly second this opinion. There are a lot of technical certifications or degrees which allow a lot of patient contact, great money, and a great lifestyle. Especially ultrasound techs. In my union, they start at around 38 an hour, not including call-in/differential pay. Some of the US techs I work with who have been union for years make over 50 an hour easy, full time at three 12 hour shifts a week. The ones who schedule themselves to work 6 straight effectively get 28 weeks off a year (without taking any time off) and with some overtime, a 6 figure salary. I'd do it if I were in your situation.