Failed Step 1. Feeling hopeless.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

musiconcerto

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
`

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I failed Step 1 and am now really worried about my chances for residency. I'm interested in going into an ACGME residency for IM or peds. I don't care if the program is top tier or not, and I'd prefer doing my residency in an urban area, but I'm willing to be flexible on that. It's been so difficult for me to focus on rotations because I studied so hard for this exam and my score clearly didn't reflect that. I can feel myself losing a lot of motivation and drive to finish med school because I feel like I blew my chances. Do I still have a decent shot at an ACGME IM or peds program? Are my chances at an ACGME fellowship affected too?
Ok shot at IM if you aren't picky about where, can't comment too much on Peds, but would think there would at least be options.

Can/will you retake Step1? That would be a good move IMO. A fail without retrying is nothing more than an admission of defeat in the eyes of many a PD I'd wager.

As for fellowship, it is my understanding that USMLE performance is considered. So you may have also hurt your chances there, but there are some fellowships that are not at all competitive, so again, there may be options.

OP, Where are you attending medical school? Your future opportunities will different depending on if you are a US MD vs IMG. Also how did you study for Step 1?

Members don't see this ad :)
OP, Where are you attending medical school? Your future opportunities will different depending on if you are a US MD vs IMG. Also how did you study for Step 1?

This being the Osteopathic forum, I think it's safe to assume the OP is at a DO school...

Reactions: 4 users
Ok DO school. Just making sure people post on random forums here asking for help.

What was your comlex level 1 score? Looks you did the right stuff in preparing. Depending on your comlex level 1 score, I would focus on comlex level 2 and get some decent recommendations during your third year. Apply to the well established DO IM programs, most of these places will have ACGME certification by the time you graduate. Sorry I don't have info on peds programs.

As far as retaking USMLE step 1 and applying to ACGME IM programs, I think it will be difficult. You will have to do much better in step 1 which if you are in rotations now will be harder. Plus, there is a lot of competition for the ACGME IM programs just form IMGs who have great scores even at the lower tier places. Go DO and study hard in third year. Even with a subpar comlex level 1 score you should be able to match at least at some decent AOA IM places if you do well on auditions and come off as a decent person overall. Just my two cents.

Reactions: 1 users
With a step 1 score "not even close" to passing you're basically not in the running for ACGME programs. Unlikely you'll be able to scrape together enough ACGME interviews to make it worth the risk of skipping the AOA match. Your focus right now should be on AOA programs. If you end up going IM and want to go on to fellowship you'll find a spot in one of the less competitive specialties (ID, renal, rheum, endocrine). Would need a miracle to get into one of the top 4 specialties (cards, gi, pulm, heme/onc) as a DO grad from an AOA program with a step 1 failure.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes.
Read each FA section 3x, Sketchy 2x, Pathoma 2x, UW 1x and went back to do some of the questions I had gotten incorrect. I guess I didn't truly understand the concepts/mechanisms of things.
I've thought about retaking it, but people have been telling me that it wouldn't be a good idea. I wasn't close to passing even though I diligently studied for 6 weeks. If I fail a second time, it would just blacken the black mark that's already on my file. There's a difference between slacking off and failing it vs. studying really hard and failing it. I was in the latter unfortunately, which will probably make it harder for me to pass it because I had tried so hard the first time around.

Reading a section and studying/knowing a section are 2 entirely different things......

Frist off, since you had trouble with COMLEX, do NOT take USMLE.

Second, most people who fail COMLEX on the first try get it right the second time. How PDs will view this is stil murky to me...you need to chat with your clinical deans, and more importantly, don't raise your hopes too high.

I failed Step 1 and am now really worried about my chances for residency. I'm interested in going into an ACGME residency for IM or peds. I don't care if the program is top tier or not, and I'd prefer doing my residency in an urban area, but I'm willing to be flexible on that. It's been so difficult for me to focus on rotations because I studied so hard for this exam and my score clearly didn't reflect that. I can feel myself losing a lot of motivation and drive to finish med school because I feel like I blew my chances. Do I still have a decent shot at an ACGME IM or peds program? Are my chances at an ACGME fellowship affected too?

Frist off, since you had trouble with COMLEX, do NOT take USMLE.

Second, most people who fail COMLEX on the first try get it right the second time. How PDs will view this is stil murky to me...you need to chat with your clinical deans, and more importantly, don't raise your hopes too high.
I think the OP failed USMLE, not COMLEX

Did you pass COMLEX? Would you mind sharing your thoughts on how COMLEX compares to Step 1? Thanks.