Failed step 2 ck

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

glitterxo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a senior US medical student who found out that I failed the CK (196). I'm applying for general surgery. I had studied for the test off/on for over 5 months to improve on my poor Step 1 score of 195. I have a couple questions.

1. Is it possible to submit my ERAS w Step 1 score only? I'm planning to retake it mid november and to update programs of my passing score when it comes in early december

2. What is the best back up plan. My deans have said to apply broadly and primarily community programs, but that my best chances would be to get a prelim spot during the SOAP.

your advice is much appreciated as always

Members don't see this ad.

Hi glitterxo, if you already applied with your Step 1 score (only that was sent when you applied), then ERAS won't force you to re-release your Step 2 score. Take the exam again in November first and then release it. However if you haven't applied yet, you need to release both scores... since you don't have a choice to select which scores to send out (they all get sent).

Don't lose hope! Discuss with your advisors + deans who know you and your application well. Also I would suggest that you click/apply both "categorical" and "preliminary" for all gen surg programs you applied to (this is only if you haven't applied already). Also perhaps consider a research year (after graduation and also taking Step 3) based on what your advisors think and advise you.

Is general surgery generally competitive? What does everyone think?

1. As Soccerfifa said, if you haven't already submitted your USMLE transcript, then no, it's not possible to not submit your Step 2 score at this point. However, if you have already submitted your applications prior to Step 2 scores coming out, you are not obligated to re-transmit your scores at any time.

2. Talk to advisors and attendings you trust as well as the deans about this. Applying to prelim spots is smart at this point, it can only give you more options. I'm not applying to gen surg, so hopefully someone who is applying to it can provide more info, but it's going to be very, very difficult to get a spot. I think most programs won't give your application a second glance because of the low Step 1 score alone. However, you might be able to catch the eye of some community programs; if you have a personal connection with a program, that could help too. Did you do any aways? Seems those are incredibly helpful in the surgical specialties. Other things I've heard of people doing: applying to transitional year programs, taking a year off to do research, and delaying graduation in order to do more research/aways/take more time to study for Step.

Good luck!

Hi glitterxo,
I'm a US senior w similar scores also interested in applying to gen surg. I ended up not applying in the 2013/14 Match but I did try to scramble (unsuccessfully) in the SOAP after I retook step 2. Now I'm extending my graduation, doing a few rotations in another specialty and hoping the match 2014/15 will go ok. Can I ask what you ended up doing? I feel like I'm at a crossroads in my career right now and could use your experience, advice.