Failed trig is it the end?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hoa_Da

DO it!
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I need advice I took gen bio, gen Chem, and trig in a 10 weeks summer semester and end up failing trig but aced both gen chem and bio. Is failing trig as a nontrad means the end of my journey to become a doctor?

P.s. This is while working 40 hrs a week

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys,

I need advice I took gen bio, gen Chem, and trig in a 10 weeks summer semester and end up failing trig but aced both gen chem and bio. Is failing trig as a nontrad means the end of my journey to become a doctor?

P.s. This is while working 40 hrs a week

Failing trig isn't a good thing but it's not one of the major things medical schools look at. You have the chance to do better by retaking it and redeeming yourself through taking a calculus class or statistics class (some medical schools recommend this). I'm assuming you are just starting your pre-medical path as you took bio and chem. You still have a few years to improve.

Yes, I'm beginning my pre-med path. Is it necessary to take calculus if my aim is to D.O. school only? I can't imagine the craziness happening in calc after witnessing trig lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's not the "end of the journey," but this is an impediment. You'll want to check which DO schools require calculus & take that into consideration come application season. Also, you'll need to retake trig (and do everything to get an A); physics courses are either calculus-based or trig/algebra-based. Finally, you need to identify what your class limit is per semester, especially with working full-time. Even though you're just starting with the post-bacc, we non-trads are expected to understand what we're getting into and adjust accordingly.

EDIT: grammar

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Yes, I'm beginning my pre-med path. Is it necessary to take calculus if my aim is to D.O. school only? I can't imagine the craziness happening in calc after witnessing trig lol.

Apollo is right. Medical school is gonna be tough so you are expected to do well or ace the material when you first encounter the information. You will need assess your learning strategy in trig because you will definitely use trig in physics, and physics is tested on the MCAT which will press you for time.
Regarding whether DO schools require calc, you'll have to check with the DO schools you are interested in because each school has their own specific math requirement.
Look at failing trig as a wake-up call. If you fail another course, medical schools will be skeptical about admitting you into their school as they will doubt your ability.

Nope. I took trig 3 times in college before getting it. Took calculus by correspondence because the class went too fast. Just keep at it.

@Apollo1 I completely understand that I went in over my head by taking 3 courses over during an accelerated semester while working full time. I underestimated the immense amount of information that is required for trig to even pass the class, but I will retake the class.

@chewy2008 The only course aside math that scare me is physic since it involve so much in math, so I guess I must ace trig on my retake and retain all the information for the class since it is a pre-req for physic as well.

@cabinbuilder Thank you for sharing the information, it sure as heck made me feel more relieved!

Reactions: 1 user
Why didnt you drop the class if you knew you were gonna fail??

3 classes over the summer is tough.

@Pound4Pound if dropping the class I will receive a W. We only have 1 week to drop without a W, I would think getting a W would look worse than an F and I wanted to stay in the class so I can learn the information so when I take it the second time I would be able to retain more information and get a better grade.