Failing COMLEX I and Matching FM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureDO2016

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello I was just curious to know what are the chances of matching FM if you fail COMLEX I once and pass upon second attempt. How competitive are the programs in the midwest and even if you fail, can you still match in a rural location? Because I thought several programs go unfilled?

Members don't see this ad.

There's a good chance you match somewhere if you play your cards right. This is of course assuming you don't fail Part2 and your application is otherwise OK.

There are a lot of places that are un-filled on match day. The key will be applying to those places and being able to know which places those will be. There are some places that are more competitive than you think. I havn't heard from about half the places I applied to and I have a 230/550 on Step1/part1 with no failures on anything.

also be sure you do not waste time applying to programs which may autoscreen you out based on the fact that your failed step 1. some programs will use this as a filter and will not even look at anyone who has had a step failure.
your best bet would be to apply broadly and to as many programs as you can with the aforementioned in mind.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello I was just curious to know what are the chances of matching FM if you fail COMLEX I once and pass upon second attempt. How competitive are the programs in the midwest and even if you fail, can you still match in a rural location? Because I thought several programs go unfilled?

I failed COMLEX I twice and had several interview opportunities in Family Medicine. Don't let the hurdle of COMLEX I bring your spirits down. Keep pushing and do well on COMLEX II.

I still got my #1 selection and am in one of the most prolific Osteopathic residencies in the state I reside.

AC

Reactions: 1 user
That being said, make sure to be smart about how you apply. The Midwest in general is relatively competitive and Chicago in particular is competitive. I currently have eight interviews and only one is in the Midwest (Minneapolis area) and none in my home city of Chicago. Doesn't matter because I'm always going to come back home, but don't get stuck on applying only to certain areas and you should be fine as long as there aren't any other issues.

I failed COMLEX I twice and had several interview opportunities in Family Medicine. Don't let the hurdle of COMLEX I bring your spirits down. Keep pushing and do well on COMLEX II.

I still got my #1 selection and am in one of the most prolific Osteopathic residencies in the state I reside.

AC

Can you provide any insight and advice into how you passed COMLEX on your third attempt and how you matched FM?

Any more advice from anyone that failed COMLEX level 1 twice and yet matched Family Med or anyone that applied this cycle?

2 of my friends in school failed the first time and both got into FM residency without an issue. They passed on second attempt and passed step II on the first attempt.

One of my friends failed level 1 twice, and is sitting on 12 FM interviews right now. You need to really polish your personal statement, and solicit good LORs during your third year.

Thank you all for the encouragement and hope! Some days, you need a little bit of hope to get through the day.

Members don't see this ad :)

For what it's worth, I think you'll find a FM program that will take you. Failing a COMLEX exam, while detrimental, is not the end of the world. Here are several reasons why:

1) FM tends to be a buyer's market for the student. As you've stated, many program go unfilled. You can optimize your chances by applying broadly and then waiting to hear back from what programs are willing to interview you.

2) We know nothing else of your overall profile. Were you heavily involved in FM interest groups and leadership roles? Did you have any special projects that may catch a PD's eye? Pass the Level 1 on the second go and make sure to improve on the COMLEX level 2. Demonstrating improvement can mitigate the perceived damage by a failed Level 1. Remember, PDs want to have applicants who are going to pass licensing tests. It is a headache for them to constantly hover over people who cannot test well. By demonstrating it was a fluke, you can reassure PDs that you are not a risk.

3) Programs tend to look at applicants as a whole rather than as individual data points. Yes, a failed Level 1 can screen you out depending on the program's iterative filtering criteria. What is important to realize though, is that it's hard to gauge which programs do so and which do not. It is in your best interest to apply to a variety of programs - popular programs, programs that have strong ties with your school, programs that are less competitive but have good training and programs that have went unfilled in the past.

Your goal going forward is to shine enough to make the failed Level 1 less prominent. By doing your best in everything else and succeeding, it becomes an outlier instead of a key component to your application. As far as what you can do to further minimize the damage besides "testing well,":

1) Make sure your letters of recommendation are strong. Hopefully, you'll find letter writers who can attest to your fund of knowledge being at or above your peers. Stay in contact with attendings you have performed well with.

2) Meet with your advisor to see where graduates of your school in similar situations have gone. See what your options are. Continue to make a rank list of your ideal, reasonable and safety picks. You need to give yourself hope to push forward, if medicine is something you still want to pursue.

3) If you get a chance to speak with your dean about your MSPE at the end of 3rd year, do so. If you performed well throughout the year, you may want to see if there is a way to ger his/her endorsement of your fund of knowledge.

4) Get the equivalent of Honors/High pass on your FM rotations and continue to do well on rotations overall.

5) There are a lot of debates as to whether or not your personal statement should include details about your failure. Personally, I feel like you should be highlighting the best of you and giving the program more insight into what makes you a strong candidate. You can explain what went wrong and how you overcame the struggle in a small section in your ERAS app. A point made in favor of using your PS as a way to explain how you overcame is that you have more characters available to explain everything compared to the small spot in ERAS.

6) Assuming you a strong student on the floors and has a personality that can shine, do a few rotations with programs that you're interested in. Many AOA programs give preference to strong performers who have rotated at their institution.

7) If you know someone at a program that is considering you and this person knows the program's leadership, ask them to pass along a recommendation. This is yet another way in which you can express interest in the program, with the added benefit that you don't sound too needy and that other people have taken interest in you.

Those are my $0.02. I hope things are going better for you and that you are able to enjoy your time during the holidays.

Cheers!

We had a classmate who matched FM AOA/ACGME via the AOA scramble. He had failed one of the comlex and passed the next one but not really high scores either. You can match still, he matched in a rural type place but it was a good program. FM is not as competitive you still have a shot. Stay strong!

We had a classmate who matched FM AOA/ACGME via the AOA scramble. He had failed one of the comlex and passed the next one but not really high scores either. You can match still, he matched in a rural type place but it was a good program. FM is not as competitive you still have a shot. Stay strong!
Thanks for the encouragement.

So since the AOA match just happened a few days ago...anyone that failed COMLEX Level 1 TWICE but still was able to match into a Family Medicine without scrambling? I know there were over 300 unfilled positions based on the 2015 Match Day data but I guess those positions just go unfilled and lose funding and go unmatched unless someone scrambles to fill that spot this week? Anyone was able to scramble even though they failed COMLEX multiple times?

Anyone go through a similar experience yet ended up finding a great program and everything worked out?

So since the AOA match just happened a few days ago...anyone that failed COMLEX Level 1 TWICE but still was able to match into a Family Medicine without scrambling? I know there were over 300 unfilled positions based on the 2015 Match Day data but I guess those positions just go unfilled and lose funding and go unmatched unless someone scrambles to fill that spot this week? Anyone was able to scramble even though they failed COMLEX multiple times?

Didn't you pass on your second attempt?