Failing out of DO... now what?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CatRancher

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, after successfully completing all coursework and about a semester of rotations, I cannot seem to pass my COMLEX-1 (I have repeatedly gotten just a few points below 400)... and have now withdrawn/been dismissed from my school.

I'm very disappointed, but also a bit relieved (between burnout and migraines, life's been pretty crappy over the last few years)... though I am very fortunate to have minimal debt and a supportive spouse.

So, that's what it is. I was wondering if anyone out there has been in a similar situation, or has any helpful suggestions? I'm pretty much at a loss right now.

Members don't see this ad.

So, after successfully completing all coursework and about a semester of rotations, I cannot seem to pass my COMLEX-1 (I have repeatedly gotten just a few points below 400)... and have now withdrawn/been dismissed from my school.

I'm very disappointed, but also a bit relieved (between burnout and migraines, life's been pretty crappy over the last few years)... though I am very fortunate to have minimal debt and a supportive spouse.

So, that's what it is. I was wondering if anyone out there has been in a similar situation, or has any helpful suggestions? I'm pretty much at a loss right now.

Wow. I'm sorry. Can you appeal based on stress, illness, anxiety disorder, or learning disability that was unknown to you? I mean you can have a learning disability and still have a high IQ. When you load on all that material and add up all the other stressors, well, if you in fact do have a learning disorder, of if you have anxiety, it can all become a recipe for disaster.

Did you talk with the dean or an advisor at your school? If you want this, don't give up--unless you think, it's really not for you. And if that is the case, that is perfectly fine. You went for something many people don't have the chutzpah to go for. But if you think that there was something that can be evaluated and treated, you should push for treatment, and see if you can appeal. You have to first find out what went wrong.

To answer you question, there have been some on SDN with situations that were similar to yours. I'm sure if you used the search feature, you'd find them.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

It seems to me you are in a better place then many other posters I've seen who, for one reason or another, drop med school. Try not to be too discouraged. There are plenty of professions out there and so many other opportunities. I think it might be wise to take some time to relax and discuss with your spouse what your next course of action should be. Maybe look at a new career, maybe move to a new city, maybe try to get back in if you want. Whatever you do it doesn't have to be right away.

Try talking to your dean and getting back in.

How many times did you fail? Three?

What was your undergrad degree in?
Likely if it was in humanities/sciences you will have to start all over and do another undergrad degree or get a masters in an in-demand field.

If you had a degree in engineering/comp sci/accounting you would be in a better position to find a job.

What was your undergrad degree in?
Likely if it was in humanities/sciences you will have to start all over and do another undergrad degree or get a masters in an in-demand field.

If you had a degree in engineering/comp sci/accounting you would be in a better position to find a job.
I doubled with psychology/biology, chem minor... But those degrees are all useless without grad school.

I'd like to thank everyone for their support so far.
+1 to the masters idea

I'm considering a couple of options right now:
1. Clinical psych grad school (wanted to be a psychiatrist anyway)
2. Finding an allopathic school that may accept me and as much transfer credit as possible (maybe have better luck with USMLE)
3. Finding any masters program that will accept the transfer credit
4. Do nothing and lament the world... Maybe start an alpaca farm.

Unfortunately I have no idea (yet) how to accomplish any of those tasks. I do know, however, that I am not willing to go through those first 2 years of med school again... Nor am I particularly enthusiastic about rejoining the school I was enrolled in (even if it was possible).

How many times did you fail? Three?
Enough times to make it hard to ever get licensed as a DO... In my case, 5.

Ironically, almost all were in the 380+ range, so I was constantly under assumption the that if i just studied and controlled my migraines just a *little* more, I could make it. nope. Seemed like no matter how many USMLE prep programs I did, or how many pain killers I was on, my scores remained right below the pass line. Though it was entertaining to watch the breakdown subjects flip with each other each time... The only subject I was consistently borderline or less was OMM.

I doubled with psychology/biology, chem minor... But those degrees are all useless without grad school.

+1 to the masters idea

2. Finding an allopathic school that may accept me and as much transfer credit as possible (maybe have better luck with USMLE)

Unfortunately I have no idea (yet) how to accomplish any of those tasks. I do know, however, that I am not willing to go through those first 2 years of med school again... Nor am I particularly enthusiastic about rejoining the school I was enrolled in (even if it was possible).

First, try to get them to award a masters degree for your preclinical coursework. I like the idea of clinical psych. It has its own ridiculous obstacles but all your exams would be geared toward psych and psych alone. Something to think about. Maybe enroll in a masters program in clinical psych (i.e. Harvard extension) to get recommendation letters and then take the GRE and apply. I would honestly look at this as a blessing in disguise. If you're like other struggling medical students I've known, had they let you stay you would have kept going at it to the point of depression and misery. And for what? Now you're free to pursue something more focused and less miserable.

Last edited:

This is actually not an option for you (or at least, a very unrealistic option). Allopathic schools will not admit someone that was dismissed from a DO school. Also, the USMLE is -according to most that take it- more difficult than the COMLEX. Some people might suggest offshore schools, but if I was you I wouldn't even entertain the idea.

Unfortunately, with 5 fails on COMLEX 1 it would be very unrealistic to continue to attempt to become a physician, unless you do extremely well from this point on, and unless you're not picky as to which states you want to practice in (many states won't license you with 5 fails on COMLEX 1).

I hate to sound so unsupportive, but at this point you have to be realistic.

Members don't see this ad :)

+1 to the masters idea

I would say look into PA school, you may be able to transfer some of your credits, and the licensing reqs are far less, no USMLE/comlex, look into an MBA/MHA if you want to do anything like healthcare administration, look into consulting, etc.

Enough times to make it hard to ever get licensed as a DO... In my case, 5.

Ironically, almost all were in the 380+ range, so I was constantly under assumption the that if i just studied and controlled my migraines just a *little* more, I could make it. nope. Seemed like no matter how many USMLE prep programs I did, or how many pain killers I was on, my scores remained right below the pass line. Though it was entertaining to watch the breakdown subjects flip with each other each time... The only subject I was consistently borderline or less was OMM.

What school did you attend? I thought most capped their attempts at 3.

You need time to heal. I suggest getting a job, any job, just to make some income, and then decide what you want to do. PA is always an option.

Reactions: 1 users
No state will ever license you. The max takes for any board exam is 3

This is actually not true. Many states cap the number of allowable attempts at COMLEX, however a handful of states have either no cap or have very generous caps.

Although the OP has very slim chances of practicing clinical medicine as a licensed physician, assuming somehow he manages to finish med school/residency and pass all COMLEX, there will be a small handful of states he could potentially be licensed in.

http://www.fsmb.org/usmle_eliinitial.html

This is actually not true. Many states cap the number of allowable attempts at COMLEX, however a handful of states have either no cap or have very generous caps.

Although the OP has very slim chances of practicing clinical medicine as a licensed physician, assuming somehow he manages to finish med school/residency and pass all COMLEX, there will be a small handful of states he could potentially be licensed in.

http://www.fsmb.org/usmle_eliinitial.html

My apologies. Every license I have applied for had a 3 exam cap. I would be surprised though if any school would graduate him or a residency would take him since the rules are getting stricter. I did residency in Texas and you will get dismissed from residency if you fail any of the exams 3 times.

I would be surprised though if any school would graduate him or a residency would take him since the rules are getting stricter.

Agreed. The OP, unfortunately, has a difficult road ahead if clinical medicine is still the goal.

You need time to heal. I suggest getting a job, any job, just to make some income, and then decide what you want to do. PA is always an option.

I would look into the PA option too. Those are good jobs, and you already did the coursework. I do not think the licensing for this would be so bad. Are there any PA program advisors on this forum?

Alpacas are nice animals, but don't they spit?

I would look into the PA option too. Those are good jobs, and you already did the coursework. I do not think the licensing for this would be so bad. Are there any PA program advisors on this forum?

Alpacas are nice animals, but don't they spit?

I think it's the llamas that spit, but alpaca's may too :)

So, in answer to a few of the suggestions, my DO school is pretty crappy and would not offer any kind of masters work. They did, however, say that their program offers like 12 credits of transfer to an MPH from an adjoining university.... though that was actually a bold-faced lie too. I really don't like this DO school, lol.

I did end up doing an MPH degree in the last year or two, and am about ready to graduate with it.

Thankfully, I was able to get my migraine issues under control and am no longer under 9 freaking drugs of no effectiveness (just one, really awesome one). So, I'm a lot better off now than I was then. Having a daily migraine was *just awful*. It took 4 years to figure out a treatment that worked, and it's *so* much better now than before. <3 drugs.

So, I guess that's that. 5 years of graduate medical education with an MPH to show for it. I think I can do some good things with that degree, as there are some cool jobs in health departments that I think are right up my alley.... but every once in a while I do feel bad that I didn't complete the DO program. Though I'd feel much, much worse if I was still sick... so, I'll take it, lol.

If anyone is still reading this thread, thank you very much for your kind comments.

--- CR

Reactions: 10 users
Glad you've found something that helps - your health is more important. Congrats on your degree, and best wishes for your new career!

Reactions: 2 users
I think it's the llamas that spit, but alpaca's may too :)

So, in answer to a few of the suggestions, my DO school is pretty crappy and would not offer any kind of masters work. They did, however, say that their program offers like 12 credits of transfer to an MPH from an adjoining university.... though that was actually a bold-faced lie too. I really don't like this DO school, lol.

I did end up doing an MPH degree in the last year or two, and am about ready to graduate with it.

Thankfully, I was able to get my migraine issues under control and am no longer under 9 freaking drugs of no effectiveness (just one, really awesome one). So, I'm a lot better off now than I was then. Having a daily migraine was *just awful*. It took 4 years to figure out a treatment that worked, and it's *so* much better now than before. <3 drugs.

So, I guess that's that. 5 years of graduate medical education with an MPH to show for it. I think I can do some good things with that degree, as there are some cool jobs in health departments that I think are right up my alley.... but every once in a while I do feel bad that I didn't complete the DO program. Though I'd feel much, much worse if I was still sick... so, I'll take it, lol.

If anyone is still reading this thread, thank you very much for your kind comments.

--- CR
Can we have another update? I really appreciate your story.

How the hell did you fail COMLEX 5 times? There is something seriously wrong with your study habits. Probably need to lay off the netflix and facebook.
This is over 6 years old. The person had health problems and is in a better place now. Quit using SDN as Place to get your kicks by belittling people. Read the thread if you want to make a meaningful comment.

Reactions: 4 users

+1 to the masters idea

Very sorry to hear about all of this. I would also consider the APRN route via a program like Columbia or Yale, which fast-track you to a specialty. Psychiatric and Mental Health NPs have a great deal of autonomy and respect within the community. Aside from that, the clinical psychologist route would be a strong possibility if you're more leaning toward therapy and diagnosis.