Failing out of medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Dizz

Dizzy
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it difficult to fail out of school meaning if you put a good amount of studying in, should you be able to pass all classes. Also, how many people generally fail out of DO schools each year? Does it differ in that some schools just have a harder curriculum than others and so more students fail? I would hope that schools give extra chances to students who fail some classes.

Members don't see this ad.

I am just an undergrad but will be attending med school next year. I have asked many people that very question including med school professors and students. From what I hear, you have to try to fail. Meaning if you put in reasonable study time, you will get through. Apparently the school will really work with you to get you your degree (tutor, study help...), especially in osteopathic schools. It seems the hardest part of med school is getting in :)

Sadly...it is not always the case....It is all dependent on where you apply and go to school. I have seen many of my classmates fail out of school...and it was one of the most painful experiences we had to go through....
Alot of things are promised and offered...but in all reality....they are not available.

Case and point..I am still waiting for my Gross Anatomy and Neuro tutor...and I am an MSIV.

Talk to people and CHOOSE wisely....you really only have one shot at what school you go to..and I am SURE others will echo my sentiment

Members don't see this ad :)
Yosh said:
Sadly...it is not always the case....It is all dependent on where you apply and go to school. I have seen many of my classmates fail out of school...and it was one of the most painful experiences we had to go through....Talk to people and CHOOSE wisely....you really only have one shot at what school you go to..and I am SURE others will echo my sentiment

Would you mind saying what school you attend? I am sorry to hear about that, that would be very hard to go through.

im going to go out on a limb here and read his sig...

comp maybe?

:laugh: :laugh:

Fin-Nor said:

comp maybe?

Woops, good call Fin-Nor. :idea:

Yosh.. intersting Point.. tells a lot about COMP. I heard that before as well.
You get what you put in... just like anything in life.. unfortunately some schools.. "non-mentioned here ;o have not demistrated greatness.

docbill said:
Yosh.. intersting Point.. tells a lot about COMP. I heard that before as well.
You get what you put in... just like anything in life.. unfortunately some schools.. "non-mentioned here ;o have not demistrated greatness.
hey guys I'm a current COMP MSI and eventhough things change from year to year (day to day), I must say that so far I'm enjoying my time at COMP (the whole 3 weeks! :D ) I guess it all depends on the availability of tutors and time management from year to year. I can tell you that I got my biochem and anatomy tutors within a week and they are just AWESOME!!! So far med school doesn't seem too difficult, it's just ALOT of time! Maybe if some of you go to COMP next year things will be better (meaning different). So take everything said in these boards with a grain of salt, and the best thing you can do is go visit the schools yourself, ask for more than one opinion from different people, MS I, II, III's and IV's and then make the best decision for you! I think COMP is a great place and I chose to go to COMP....I didn't just go there because it was my last resort, sometimes when you have to make those kinds of decisions, you are better off just not going to med school period....remember we are all different and feel one way or the other about different schools. If anyone out there has questions about COMP or about the med school application process in general, PM me, I'll be more than happy to answer them, take care Dr. DOn

Fin-Nor said:

comp maybe?

I'm currently going to comp (three weeks also), and I'll have to say they do provide a lot help. While I don't know how many people in our class may drop out, i have heard that about 5-10 students drop out/class...mind you, for various reasons, not just academic. Some people think that we COMP'er party too much, play too much texas hold'em, tend to make med school too fun...blah blah blah. In anycase, i'll let you by the end of this semester how things go.

Dr. Dizz said:
Is it difficult to fail out of school meaning if you put a good amount of studying in, should you be able to pass all classes. Also, how many people generally fail out of DO schools each year? Does it differ in that some schools just have a harder curriculum than others and so more students fail? I would hope that schools give extra chances to students who fail some classes.

For statistics on how many people total fail out of DO schools, and for what reasons, you can download the report on osteopathic education. It has all sorts of great stats and info.

http://www.aacom.org/data/annualreport/index.html

I'm also a student at COMP. We lost somewhere between 25-29 people in the first 2 years, most of them left for personal reasons, but we did have a fair number of people fail. Before I came to medical school I had heard that once you were in it was "difficult" to fail out. It does happen, and it was not difficult for these people, who were smart and were working hard. Like Yosh said, it's painful. You have to take control of your own schooling and make sure you do what you have to do. That being said, it's doable... you just can't rely on other people to do your work for you.

Shinken said:
For statistics on how many people total fail out of DO schools, and for what reasons, you can download the report on osteopathic education. It has all sorts of great stats and info.

http://www.aacom.org/data/annualreport/index.html
That reply was helpful. On page 30 of that report, it says that the attrition rate due to dismissal or withdrawal for first years for the 2002 school year was 2.8% of students or 85 students of all DO schools. That seems a bit too low to me. :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
Dr. Dizz said:
That reply was helpful. On page 30 of that report, it says that the attrition rate due to dismissal or withdrawal for first years for the 2002 school year was 2.8% of students or 85 students of all DO schools. That seems a bit too low to me. :confused:

Consider that schools may allow a failing student to repeat a year...should that student then pass (as most will), their numbers are not recorded in that figure.

we've lost no less than four in our class. Only two flunked out, that I know of. The others were personal/health related (one is in the first year class now).

wbdo

I'm an MSII and we lost roughly 20 people between our first and second year........I know that is a rather large amount of people but it seems my class was the extreme on both ends. We have a bout 75 people who have a 90% overall average or better. So basically try not to fall behind and seek help from professors and/or tutors. If you do that it is nearly impossible to fail out since most professors will see how concerned you are and do their best to help you.

cremaster2007 said:
I'm an MSII and we lost roughly 20 people between our first and second year........I know that is a rather large amount of people but it seems my class was the extreme on both ends. We have a bout 75 people who have a 90% overall average or better. So basically try not to fall behind and seek help from professors and/or tutors. If you do that it is nearly impossible to fail out since most professors will see how concerned you are and do their best to help you.

dude, that's a friggen lot of people to lose. We started with 232 and lost 4 but gained 2 from the previous class. UHS er KCUMB tries really hard to keep you in.

wbdo

DUudeee where is my car...

I agree the is a better number then a COMP. Actually that is a great stats.
If you loose 25-30 out of 200 people that is about ~15% of your class. Compared to loosing 4 people... less ~1.7%.

What about other schools.. NSUCOM, AZCOM, LECOM (have not heard many LECOM Students on this board..) etc...

Alot will also depend upon your class culture. As cremaster said, we started with 205 and our average class age was 27. However this next class has 217, has 54% females (way to go!), and is (to our chagrin) smarter and younger than we were. That doesn't mean that they won't have as many or more drop outs. Many of ours wasn't always due to grades but due to personal reasons (health, family issues, etc.). I would also say that approximately 8-10 of those people are in the '08 class now. The class before us had a lot of people on maternity leave.

My point is that the standard deviation shifts from year to year, but I think that the stats are correct in saying that around 3-5% of your class will fail due to poor performance; the rest of the dropouts are due to personal reasons or they decide to repeat the first year.

We also have tutors, a new anatomy tutoring program, colleague mentors, and summer course retakes. I think our class is really supportive and I know several people who took time out of there summers to personally tutor others. As many on these DO threads like to say, "We are all in the DO family," and so we try to help you out. :)

babyruth said:
Alot will also depend upon your class culture. As cremaster said, we started with 205 and our average class age was 27. However this next class has 217, has 54% females (way to go!), and is (to our chagrin) smarter and younger than we were. That doesn't mean that they won't have as many or more drop outs. Many of ours wasn't always due to grades but due to personal reasons (health, family issues, etc.). I would also say that approximately 8-10 of those people are in the '08 class now. The class before us had a lot of people on maternity leave.

My point is that the standard deviation shifts from year to year, but I think that the stats are correct in saying that around 3-5% of your class will fail due to poor performance; the rest of the dropouts are due to personal reasons or they decide to repeat the first year.

We also have tutors, a new anatomy tutoring program, colleague mentors, and summer course retakes. I think our class is really supportive and I know several people who took time out of there summers to personally tutor others. As many on these DO threads like to say, "We are all in the DO family," and so we try to help you out. :)

Glad to hear that our second year coherts are looking positively upon us first years. I have heard multiple times now that our class is smart, has lots of gunners, etc. Who is passing around this information? How do you guys know about us? ;)

yo, you do not need to "try to fail out of med school". It does happen, and it's not all that hard even when you are working as hard as you can! I've seen it happen and wasn't too far from that myself. Although most schools will let you repeat a year (why woudn't they? they get more money and a better graduation rate). So, study hard!!!!!!! As someone who's graduated I'll say, getting in was easy! Graduating was the hardest thing I've ever done!!

We had a lot of people fail, but it was because they didn't try, or they had extreme circumstances. It's possible to pass and still have a life. Just get your freaking work done. The people in our class were just a bunch of lazy losers.

sweetbuns said:
We had a lot of people fail, but it was because they didn't try, or they had extreme circumstances. It's possible to pass and still have a life. Just get your freaking work done. The people in our class were just a bunch of lazy losers.

What a bummer....all that work just to fail out. I can't imagine.

I don't know how I would handle that.. it would be a confidence crusher.

Students should develop a fund for those who drop out.. to help with student loans.

So far I think COMP is a great school also. I especially like my classmates and professors, and I praise them for their intelligence, friendliness and eagerness to help.

With that said, I don't buy it when some people only blame the school for failing. They don't talk about other factors... is it possible that they goofed off a little bit? or they didn't seek help earlier? Instead they post on this board and blame 100% of their failure on the school.

So 20 something people left after 2 yrs, mostly due to personal reasons. How many of them "failed"? 5, 10? Shouldn't be way more than 10 because most(>50%) of the 20 something people left due to personal reasons.

So let's say there were 10 people that flunked out over TWO years. Let's say 5 per year. Is that number really an unacceptable astronomical figure for a med school? Also, out of a class of 190 people, what were the other 180 people doing right that the 10 people weren't doing???

sure, it's the school's fault, right? It was the school's fault for failing them and for not letting them stay.

Do other schools not make the same fault? because they don't fail students? , or they do let them stay even after failling?

I hope not to fail but I hope if I do fail I will at least have the decency to take some responsibilities for myself, the kind of decency which I think anyone who was given the priviledge to become a doctor should have.

Jinyaoysiu said:
So far I think COMP is a great school also. I especially like my classmates and professors, and I praise them for their intelligence, friendliness and eagerness to help.

With that said, I don't buy it when some people only blame the school for failing. They don't talk about other factors... is it possible that they goofed off a little bit? or they didn't seek help earlier? Instead they post on this board and blame 100% of their failure on the school.

So 20 something people left after 2 yrs, mostly due to personal reasons. How many of them "failed"? 5, 10? Shouldn't be way more than 10 because most(>50%) of the 20 something people left due to personal reasons.

So let's say there were 10 people that flunked out over TWO years. Let's say 5 per year. Is that number really an unacceptable astronomical figure for a med school? Also, out of a class of 190 people, what were the other 180 people doing right that the 10 people weren't doing???

sure, it's the school's fault, right? It was the school's fault for failing them and for not letting them stay.

Do other schools not make the same fault? because they don't fail students? , or they do let them stay even after failling?

I hope not to fail but I hope if I do fail I will at least have the decency to take some responsibilities for myself, the kind of decency which I think anyone who was given the priviledge to become a doctor should have.

You're a 2008er? Talk to me after neuro, then tell me what you think

Okay... guys.. difficult times is when the true leaders come out.

It sounds like the school needs some leaders to change it around. Better student support and maybe even curriculim. Don't you guys have student counc or are they useless anyway.

Best of Luck

me454555 said:
You're a 2008er? Talk to me after neuro, then tell me what you think

Tell you what I think of what? what I think of Neuro? What I think of COMP? What I think of my of my classmates? the professors that are not involved in Neuro?

I don't see how your post responds to what I posted. Obviously you are suggesting that I would change my mind about something after Neuro. But all you know so far about "my mind" is based on my post, basically the facts that 1)I think COMP is a great school and 2)I praise the classmates and professors that I have so far and that 3)I hope to take responsiblities for myself if I fail out.

I don't see how I would change my mind about any of those things that I have stated just because of Neuro. If I turn out to hate Neuro, then that will be exactly what I hate. I won't start blaming everyone else for it. People that would do something like that are exactly the type that blames the school for flunking out and blame the rest of the world for their mistakes. As far as I know, perhaps it's better that someone like that does not become a doctor at all.

You have to admit though, that it's kind odd that COMP would have such a disproprionate number of people leave compared to other MD and DO schools across the country. I don't mean to dog your school (I was 2 days away from going there) and I certainly don't mean to imply my school is perfect ( :rolleyes: ), but I have read lots and lots of posts from your upperclassmen on this subject. Somehow I doubt they are all just slackers with bad attitudes. Could be that COMP's professors are unreasonable, that the subject matter is too detailed and unneccesairly complex, or that the administration is antagonsitic towards the students. I'm sure there are mitigating factors inherent in this entire debate. Nothing is black and white. Yes, people should take responsibility for their actions, but I don't think it's totally fair for an MS1 who's been in school for a month to judge the folks who had trouble with school.

I say this as someone who's also an MS1 who's been in school for a month and is getting her ass kicked. I'm not about to blame the school or professors for my problems. But I also know that ultimately they want us all to succeed and that counts for a lot. I think in the past COMP has not fostered this same attitude.

It is very hard to fail out. You can get rolled back at AZCOM if you are having trouble and take a reduced course load, i.e. 1st 2 years, over 3.

Grads that I have worked with from COMP are competent, none were bad.

r90t said:
It is very hard to fail out. You can get rolled back at AZCOM if you are having trouble and take a reduced course load, i.e. 1st 2 years, over 3.

Grads that I have worked with from COMP are competent, none were bad.

This is one of the things that makes comp's attrition rate so high. At a lot of other schools, when you have to make up a year, you can take a reduced course load of some sort. In COMP, they make you repeat the entire year including the classes you did well in.

This makes it very unappealing for students who failed a few classes to want to continue on.

Elysium said:
You have to admit though, that it's kind odd that COMP would have such a disproprionate number of people leave compared to other MD and DO schools across the country. I don't mean to dog your school (I was 2 days away from going there) and I certainly don't mean to imply my school is perfect ( :rolleyes: ), but I have read lots and lots of posts from your upperclassmen on this subject. Somehow I doubt they are all just slackers with bad attitudes. Could be that COMP's professors are unreasonable, that the subject matter is too detailed and unneccesairly complex, or that the administration is antagonsitic towards the students. I'm sure there are mitigating factors inherent in this entire debate. Nothing is black and white. Yes, people should take responsibility for their actions, but I don't think it's totally fair for an MS1 who's been in school for a month to judge the folks who had trouble with school.

I say this as someone who's also an MS1 who's been in school for a month and is getting her ass kicked. I'm not about to blame the school or professors for my problems. But I also know that ultimately they want us all to succeed and that counts for a lot. I think in the past COMP has not fostered this same attitude.

Elysium, it's not odd at all. The above post explained why people leave even if given the chance to repeat(i.e. not fail out), because COMP doesn't allow students to take a "reduced" course load.

For someone who doesn't even go to COMP, you sure post many doubts on the professors, the administration, and myself, and try to dodge all responsibilities as if you are "just wondering" by saying "I don't mean to dog..."

How about I place doubts on the reasons why you didn't attend COMP, like you are having a sexual affair with someone who teaches at the school that you currently attend, or maybe in reality you got rejected by COMP and you're sour, and then I say I don't mean to dog on you, so I better not take any heat from anybody because I was just wondering in a safe, innocent manner. So you don't need to respond to any of the doubts I placed on you because I was just wondering and your personal issues are not the topic of this thread. If you're going to say something that you consider might be controversial please be a man or woman about it and just say it, and don't try to use "I don't mean to say..."(then don't!) as a shield.

You placed doubts on my judgement because I've only been in COMP for a month, as if that's not enough to formulate my 1,2,3 opinions in my earlier post. You doubt the validity of my posts maybe because it's not within your own ability to come up with something like that in JUST one month
but I doubt many others who are worthy of med school would have a problem coming up with those opinions in JUST one month. In addition, I don't even have to be in COMP or be only a MSI to notice that NONE of those posts mentioned anything about taking responsibilities for themselves.

So far every professor(about 8 of them) that I have had has been EXCELLENT in terms of intelligence, friendliness, and sense of humor, and their material is not "unneccesairly complex" at all, but in fact has been very satisfactorily stimulating. I graduated from a private university ranked in the top 25 by USnews and went to an Ivy for my post-bach so I think I know what an excellent professor is like. So let's assume I would encounter some "unreasonable" professors in the future, so what? Like I said, what were the 180 people doing right that the 10 people didn't do? Also I doubt there would be many "unreasonable" professors because the 8 I've had so far would continue to teach various courses in the coming 2 years.

My posts were not about NOT blaming the professors and the administration. But if that's all you do??? God damn it please take some responsibilities for yourself. And no more maybe this maybe that from an outsider please. Because there could be a trillion maybe's(maybe they quit school to get immediate sex changes) but people definitely didn't talk enough(or at all) about themselves.

Jinyaoysiu said:
Elysium, it's not odd at all. The above post explained why people leave even if given the chance to repeat(i.e. not fail out), because COMP doesn't allow students to take a "reduced" course load.

For someone who doesn't even go to COMP, you sure post many doubts on the professors, the administration, and myself, and try to dodge all responsibilities as if you are "just wondering" by saying "I don't mean to dog..."

How about I place doubts on the reasons why you didn't attend COMP, like you are having a sexual affair with someone who teaches at the school that you currently attend, or maybe in reality you got rejected by COMP and you're sour, and then I say I don't mean to dog on you, so I better not take any heat from anybody because I was just wondering in a safe, innocent manner. So you don't need to respond to any of the doubts I placed on you because I was just wondering and your personal issues are not the topic of this thread. If you're going to say something that you consider might be controversial please be a man or woman about it and just say it, and don't try to use "I don't mean to say..."(then don't!) as a shield.

You placed doubts on my judgement because I've only been in COMP for a month, as if that's not enough to formulate my 1,2,3 opinions in my earlier post. You doubt the validity of my posts maybe because it's not within your own ability to come up with something like that in JUST one month
but I doubt many others who are worthy of med school would have a problem coming up with those opinions in JUST one month. In addition, I don't even have to be in COMP or be only a MSI to notice that NONE of those posts mentioned anything about taking responsibilities for themselves.

So far every professor(about 8 of them) that I have had has been EXCELLENT in terms of intelligence, friendliness, and sense of humor, and their material is not "unneccesairly complex" at all, but in fact has been very satisfactorily stimulating. I graduated from a private university ranked in the top 25 by USnews and went to an Ivy for my post-bach so I think I know what an excellent professor is like. So let's assume I would encounter some "unreasonable" professors in the future, so what? Like I said, what were the 180 people doing right that the 10 people didn't do? Also I doubt there would be many "unreasonable" professors because the 8 I've had so far would continue to teach various courses in the coming 2 years.

My posts were not about NOT blaming the professors and the administration. But if that's all you do??? God damn it please take some responsibilities for yourself. And no more maybe this maybe that from an outsider please. Because there could be a trillion maybe's(maybe they quit school to get immediate sex changes) but people definitely didn't talk enough(or at all) about themselves.

best post ever. elysium sure spends a lot of time thinking and posting about COMP for someone who disdains the place so much. just be happy in your 150 degree weather and stop the hatin'. i'm just saying...

if you fail, it's usually your fault. my experience at COMP may only be 2 months more than jin, but i agree with him/her (jin, who are you? have we met? if not, i need to meet you and buy you a drink). COMP is a good school- the profs go out of their way to help us, and the tests are hard but if you want an easy life, find a rich husband or go to law school.

i've heard some of the excuses for failing and most of them suck (notice emphasis on the word "most"). either you can handle it or you can't, and barring some sort of medical, family or other assorted emergency, there's no reason why anyone who is moderately intelligent wouldn't be able to pass. i don't give a $hit what people say about what's going to happen when we get to neuro, or to our 2nd year- all of it is doable provided you have the mental and emotional strength to do it. period. the whole "everyone else's fault but mine" whining is so lame.

(a few months later, a tearful jack proceeds to write her "failing out of COMP" post.)

and it would be all my fault if i did.

I'm writing because I'm bored from studying for the exams. Dr. Jack, you don't know me and I guess after this thread I should stay as anonymous as possible in case if some world-hating MSV or VI's come and kick my ass.

As a further rebuttal to the "wondering" about "unreasonable" professors: which professor is "reasonsable"? actually, just kidding.

I have never had a professor like Dr. May who gave out his HOME phone number the weekend before an exam in case students had questions. Also Dr. Kiick(the famous COMP biochem prof) reads out during every lecture questions he got via email and answers them in front of the whole class and just spent 4 hours of his own free time for 2 review sessions during dinner times, and came back the next day during dinner time for another 2 hours or so for the 10 something students who couldn't make it the night before.

Actually, I think that's what you really call unreasonable but yeah they did it.

Hey - don't you guys have Black Tuesday to worry about? Get off the computer and read something.

"Kissing cousins, glucagon world, tyrosine kinase story"

:laugh: So Elysium is still knocking COMP? I remember when she was doing that last year and I had a couple of runins with her. It's cool though. I am sure TUCOM-NV is just as hard as COMP. :cool:

As a matter of fact tkim, I should be studying. I figure I'll start tomorrow. :smuggrin:

Is this one of the times it is Great to be an MSIV? No more Black Tuesdays....Just that DAMN ERAS!!

tkim6599 said:
Hey - don't you guys have Black Tuesday to worry about? Get off the computer and read something.

"Kissing cousins, glucagon world, tyrosine kinase story"

haw haw haw, don't you have some blood and RE shiz to study yourself?

besides, we're the smartest, prettiest and best smelling class COMP has ever seen- with photographic memories like ours, one has plenty of free time.

</sarcasm>

2008 seems like that have it all together....Good deal...Hats off ta y'all...

Just keep in mind....you are only seeing the TIP of the iceberg...

I'll keep an eye out over the coming year...

Jesus christ. I bring up a few contridictory points and suddenly I'm some kind of maniac who got rejected by COMP (if you want to see my acceptance letter and my rejection to THEM, I'll scan them in) and is boffing one of my professors (huh?). Are you out of your mind? Get some humility, kid. Every school has problems, even the best schools in the country. I'm totally willing to admit to my school's problems - and try to be proactive about solving them. Given the total nastiness of the Class of 2008, I'm certainly glad I don't attend school with such unpleasant and mean spirited people. Have fun with exams.

tkim, you're still my boy! :D

OK, now I can go back to the nice, good natured people in my class and the implications of the TCA Cycle.

Elysium said:
Every school has problems, even the best schools in the country.

W3rd.

People choose their schools based on criteria that's mostly personal. Problems arise when they choose the school with specific problems that affect them most adversely.

Find the school with the problems you can most accept and deal with and let others choose their schools according to what's best for them.

Elys, you are at the school that best fits you. You have done well. I am at the school that best fits me. I have done well. Had we switched schools, we'd both be friggin miserable.

I'm surprised Sac hasn't used this icon yet - it's right up his alley:

logo-volvo.jpg

Noticed it while riding in one the other day.

tkim6599 said:
W3rd.

People choose their schools based on criteria that's mostly personal. Problems arise when they choose the school with specific problems that affect them most adversely.

Find the school with the problems you can most accept and deal with and let others choose their schools according to what's best for them.

Elys, you are at the school that best fits you. You have done well. I am at the school that best fits me. I have done well. Had we switched schools, we'd both be friggin miserable.

I'm surprised Sac hasn't used this icon yet - it's right up his alley:

logo-volvo.jpg

Noticed it while riding in one the other day.

sac is too busy getting mentally raped in surgery to do anything besides memorize factoids about hemroids. Medicine is so glamorous, I want to throw up. Now I have to go back to not understanding the difference between the medial and ulnar nerves! Tata!

:oops:

Elysium said:
Now I have to go back to not understanding the difference between the medial and ulnar nerves! Tata!

plexus.jpg

Yeah, I remember when my nightmares had monsters in them. *sigh*

Elysium said:
Jesus christ. I bring up a few contridictory points and suddenly I'm some kind of maniac who got rejected by COMP (if you want to see my acceptance letter and my rejection to THEM, I'll scan them in) and is boffing one of my professors (huh?). Are you out of your mind? Get some humility, kid. Every school has problems, even the best schools in the country. I'm totally willing to admit to my school's problems - and try to be proactive about solving them. Given the total nastiness of the Class of 2008, I'm certainly glad I don't attend school with such unpleasant and mean spirited people. Have fun with exams.

tkim, you're still my boy! :D

OK, now I can go back to the nice, good natured people in my class and the implications of the TCA Cycle.

I wonder what fits Elysium's standard of being "unpleasant and mean." She threw those two adjectives around like she was being all pleasant herself.

I'd like to see her walk up to our professors, let's say Dr. May, and say "Just wondering, maybe you are an UNREASONABLE professor. But I don't mean to dog on you. And don't you rebutt me, otherwise you are UNPLEASANT and MEAN unlike the people at MY school. Also, don't rebutt me because I have a shield of just wondering. Also, the comments that COMP MSIs made are unreliable because they've only been there for 1 month, but my wonderings are valid even though I don't even go to COMP."

After having my first set of all day exams, I can further state that the exams are not unreasonable at all, and definitely do-able.

So the comments about the "unreasonable professors" to me sort of sound like how some people say Elvis is still alive. And do you know, there are actually people that quit their jobs and move to the towns where Elvis is supposedly still alive at in order to spot him?

It's a pity that some people make life-altering decisions based on information like that. Good thing there doesn't appear to be people like that in my intelligent and friendly COMP DO class of 2008.

Elysium said:
Now I have to go back to not understanding the difference between the medial and ulnar nerves! Tata!

it's easy to not understand the difference since there is no "medial" nerve.
:smuggrin:

Hey Everybody,

I just got dismissed. Does it make sense to have failed sections held against you upon return when the school recognized that the reason was a medical one. Hence, their decision to grant a "Medical leave of absence"?

Blah

damn.. just when i thought getting into med school was the hard part.. :p

Let's start with the following premise: everyone who gets into medical school in the US (whether allo or osteo) is smart. The process is too competitive for anything else to happen. From what I can tell most (if not all) of the slackers got weeded out somewhere along the time of organic chemistry. Very smart people can fail out of medical school for a variety of reasons, I have seen it happen. Sometimes you wonder why that person and not me, because everyone is working hard. The real character of the school and the class is shown by what they to to help people that are having troubles. At our school students can get extra help from professors but we also have a student tutoring service which I'm a part of. I've tutored numerous med students over 3 years, all of whom were failing when I got them and none of whom were failing when I got through with them. Sometimes it's just a matter of learning how to study for this very different animal, and the process sometimes just takes longer for some people than others. My advice is to start exercising some of that empathy and help your struggling classmates out. You'll not only be helping them individually but also every patient they will ever come into contact with- which is not a bad day's work, all things considered.