Failing out of school for OMM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

birddog76

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So the long and short of it I I think I am going to fail out of medical school for OMM. At my school they take OMM very seriously but have very poor testing. 1st semester I failed OMM by .5% and after the first OMM test I am again failing with a 66% on the exam. I spent over 24 hours of dedicated time to this class this semester and had used not only group study but also individual tutoring and working with the OPP fellows. Is there any suggestions because I don't get this stuff at all. I think the biggest problem is the lack of instruction in bio mechanics as it relates to OMM. That and they have poor questions for the exams. I use board review books and get nearly 100% on those questions. Last semester 25% was about to fail and ended up failing just over 10% of the class.

I feel that my head is on the chopping block and its only a matter of time.

Members don't see this ad.

So the long and short of it I I think I am going to fail out of medical school for OMM. At my school they take OMM very seriously but have very poor testing. 1st semester I failed OMM by .5% and after the first OMM test I am again failing with a 66% on the exam. I spent over 24 hours of dedicated time to this class this semester and had used not only group study but also individual tutoring and working with the OPP fellows. Is there any suggestions because I don't get this stuff at all. I think the biggest problem is the lack of instruction in bio mechanics as it relates to OMM. That and they have poor questions for the exams. I use board review books and get nearly 100% on those questions. Last semester 25% was about to fail and ended up failing just over 10% of the class.

Holy crap, what school are you at?

Savarese is a good resource. Is your OMM done via a practical or written test? If it's practical, practice, practice, practice. If not, Savarese, Foundations of Osteopathic Medicine, and some other things can be okay.

I go to a newer school. But we have written exams for grades and mandatory competencies (pass/fail). I actually like OMM and have done really well with competencies.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yah, I'd like to know what school this is. I mean if 10% failed os, I don't even want to imagine what percent failed the other courses tbh.

I agree with Savarese, but honestly you need to talk to your OMT department and figure out how to learn how to avoid distractors.

I go to a newer school. But we have written exams for grades and mandatory competencies (pass/fail). I actually like OMM and have done really well with competencies.

It sounds a lot like the issue is that you don't get the biomechanics of the muscle groups you're dealing with. Which is tbh fine because I don't think anyone really remembers them beyond the test. But yah, spend some time learning your muscles groups and their actions.

Reactions: 1 user
It sounds a lot like the issue is that you don't get the biomechanics of the muscle groups you're dealing with. Which is tbh fine because I don't think anyone really remembers them beyond the test. But yah, spend some time learning your muscles groups and their actions.

Yeah, I have been working on the bio-mechanics, but the OPP departments anatomy is different then what was taught in the anatomy department. Then become defensive when questions are brought up. It has really become what is the question writer was thinking and guess their answer. But I am really frustrated. Admin seems to have a closed unsympathetic ear. We have numerous students thinking they are going to apply for transfers which is really sad because I think overall most the professors are great, full well knowing that their chances are low. But, unfortunately one department is ruining it for the school.

Yeah, I have been working on the bio-mechanics, but the OPP departments anatomy is different then what was taught in the anatomy department. Then become defensive when questions are brought up. It has really become what is the question writer was thinking and guess their answer. But I am really frustrated. Admin seems to have a closed unsympathetic ear. We have numerous students thinking they are going to apply for transfers which is really sad because I think overall most the professors are great, full well knowing that their chances are low. But, unfortunately one department is ruining it for the school.

That's most of medical school to be entirely fair. It's a game of what is the writer thinking and or what is the writer want me to prove I know at the end of the course. That's why for example you shouldn't choose answers that have never been talked about in class or fall for distractors that seem correct but usually have a flaw in them and or are not as correct as the other answer.

My recommendation is to try your best at understanding what you know and learning not to second guess yourself. I know for rib mechanics on our test I second guessed myself and spent a lot of time having to back track. You need to really try get a gut feel for the basic flow of the stuff.

So have you purchased your OMM-to-English translator yet? sorry -- bad joke that we used to use -- the problem is likely not with you, but with OMM and the poorly written/worded questions ---

I was in the same pickle -- going into the end of 1st year final exam which covered pelvis/sacrum, I had a 68.5% average -- the OMM year 1 course director was an old line DO who used to dress A.T. Still-ish, smoked like a chimney, knew only HVLA techniques and various other things --- when I told him I was failing, he responded that I wasn't failing but had failed an exam but had one to cover --

So, I grabbed the big Kuchera & Kuchera white book and proceeded to read the required reading for the section and took the time to make sure I understood the biomechanics rather than just read the PPTs the weekend before like I had been doing --- grade went up into the almost-90s and I passed the class.

So --- a few things:

if you learn by reading, use Kuchera and Kuchera -- it's about a 2 inch thick white book and has detailed explanations -- granted, they're trying to be scientific and are laughably failing but it's what you need to know to pass the exams which is what's important --- after you're out, go to an ACGME residency and you won't have to screw with OMM ever again ---

Sit down with the ppts and a few classmates, come up with the most bass ackward way to ask a question and list the answer the same way -- you'll see some of those on the exam.....

hope this helps.

Reactions: 1 users

We had the same thing -- took almost a riot and major embarrassment of the OMM department to knock them off of their high horse ---

That type of attrition in appalling. You need to get your classmates to give your Dean an earful. The problem is the OMM dep't, not the Class. If the grading is subjective, perhaps demand that the DO faculty from other dep'ts intervene.

That type of attrition in appalling. You need to get your classmates to give your Dean an earful. The problem is the OMM dep't, not the Class. If the grading is subjective, perhaps demand that the DO faculty from other dep'ts intervene.

Riot riot riot!!

So anyone have any guesses about what the school is tho?

Members don't see this ad :)
How'd that happen
The OMM department had grown a little upset with our class during second year. Most of the class had recognized them for the idiots that they were and were cramming the weekend before the exam using the ppts. The department figured they would teach us a lesson by taking over 60% of the exam questions for a particular exam from the required reading.

Our class had the most failures of any one exam in the history of TCOM. People were pissed off...and I don't just mean the usual suspects, I'm talking about the nice, kind go along to get along types. More than one person walked into that exam review loaded for bear. Some had even discussed going to the Academic Dean in protest but cooler heads prevailed.

Turns out the Academic Dean and the overall second year course director show up to keep the peace and keep the exam review from degenerating into an all out brawl. Plus we has casually filled them in on where OMM A&P differed from real A&P and that it may impact board scores (which is all that mattered to them because THAT'S HOW THEY GET THEIR RAISES AND BONUSES).

With every question reviewed the answer was,"It was in the assigned reading"....that went on for about 10 questions with the OMM profs standing off to the side, arms folded, smiling smugly...

I'll never forget when the class president from first year (who was now not in leadership) calmly raised her hand and said,"What reading?". "The readings that were in the syllabus." "What syllabus?". "The one posted on the department website." "There's no syllabus posted and we never got one." "You never got a syllabus," "No"

As I watched the blood drain from the OMM department chairs face, you could've heard a pin drop....the OMM course director, department chair and entire OMM team quickly folded up their stuff and left, promising to "review" the items in question.

We got all but 2 of the questions back, all but 1 person passed and after that, they never screwed with us again. Of course, we were all over them after that for any deviance from their own material and hammered them with information from regular anatomy texts and their own texts. It delighted us to no end to point out with gleeful abandon ever single contradiction they spouted.

Peckerwoods....

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
So anyone have any guesses about what the school is tho?
I don't think it's okay to guess which school this is b/c 1) to protect OP's privacy 2) we don't know the true story, by air dirty laundry on SDN, it makes the school looks bad, and 3) this is internal problem, let them deal with it.

Yeah, I have been working on the bio-mechanics, but the OPP departments anatomy is different then what was taught in the anatomy department. Then become defensive when questions are brought up. It has really become what is the question writer was thinking and guess their answer. But I am really frustrated. We have numerous students thinking they are going to apply for transfers which is really sad because I think overall most the professors are great, full well knowing that their chances are low. But, unfortunately one department is ruining it for the school.
I think we might go to the same school, if not, I can totally share this sentiment. I don't bother to study for OMM anymore -- just cram for it a few days before enough to get a pass, and by cramming I mean of doing nothing but OMM for 72 hrs. OMM has ruined med school experience for me. I would not go to DO if I knew of how poorly OMM is being taught and how ridiculous the exams/grading are. Meanwhile, I effortlessly pass every other blocks, including the subjects that most students have trouble with. Sorry for the vent, hopefully, you'll pull through it and get to burn Savarese one day.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
I don't think it's okay to guess which school this is b/c 1) to protect OP's privacy 2) we don't know the true story, by air dirty laundry on SDN, it makes the school looks bad, and 3) this is internal problem, let them deal with it.

I think we might go to the same school, if not, I can totally share this sentiment. I don't bother to study for OMM anymore -- just cram for it a few days before enough to get a pass, and by cramming I mean of doing nothing but OMM for 72 hrs. OMM has ruined med school experience for me. I would not go to DO if I knew of how poorly OMM is being taught and how ridiculous the exams/grading are. Meanwhile, I effortlessly pass every other blocks, including the subjects that most students have trouble with. Sorry for the vent, hopefully, you'll pull through it and get to burn Savarese one day.

can I join this party? I promise to bring Foundations, Kimberly to add to the fire, a keg of beer and some Black Rifle Coffee and LeadSlingers Whiskey to the party along with cigars....

At GA-PCOM (my campus) we must have a solid foundation in lecture AND lab to do well on the paper tests. Some of the questions are giveaways, while some require a detailed understanding of the lectures. I advise outlining (writing your own lecture notes) before attending class noting every single detail on the slide, THEN going to class, and then finally incorporating it all into one big study packet 1-2 days before the test. Study the packet, and know everything, including the stuff that's going to be tested in lab. Do not group study until a week out, and until having looked over the material a few times. Study old test questions (if you have access), as well as any quizzes in the last few days.

You should be able to correctly answer a significant portion of the questions using reasoning and omm knowledge (e.g., breathing problems > phrenic nerve > C3-5). Make sure you look for buzzwords and giveaways in the question stems so you can figure out what the question writer is trying to ask (e.g., "boggy edema" > probably acute inflammation > use indirect technique/direct technique contraindicated).

Sucks that you're struggling. Just treat OMM as you would any science class, and respect the hell out of the paper tests.

Last edited:
I've never heard of someone failing school because of OMM. I've seen people fail out because they had academic difficulties in other classes and then a failure in OMM theory or practice was the final straw.

Yeah I've seen similar situations. Just be careful in how you approach anyone in the OMM department in regards to correctness or validity of their subject and lessons. Many of them see themselves as the vanguard of the true Osteopathic profession. They tend to be hypersensitive to any criticism and see any correction or incredulity as an affront to eveything to which they have dedicated themselves. They are not looking to answer criticism or change their teaching to be more inline with the mainstream curriculum. It is critical that you understand this. They want you to learn what they teach. If they teach you the sacrum moves in such and such a way but you learned something different in anatomy, they won't care and you will need to learn it the way they state it for the exam. It sucks that OMM tends to do its own thing and is not correlated well with the other subjects but that's how it goes.

More hints for coping: (1) Regurgitate, imitate, and move on; (2) The correct answer is not always logical; (3) Pass or you'll be stuck with the AOA forever.

Reactions: 3 users
Totally agree with the above.

The sacral garbage, for instance, NEVER made sense to me no matter how many times I read it (or how many 'card tricks' somebody did with tilting a card to supposedly represent sacral motion etc). I'm convinced it just doesn't make sense period. Copy, regurgitate, get through with it and get on with your life.

Reactions: 3 users
can I join this party? I promise to bring Foundations, Kimberly to add to the fire, a keg of beer and some Black Rifle Coffee and LeadSlingers Whiskey to the party along with cigars....

I never bought a single OMM book in med school.
I only bought one now as I wish to integrate into my future practice and it discusses coding/business side as well.

You should be able to correctly answer a significant portion of the questions using reasoning and omm knowledge (e.g., breathing problems > phrenic nerve > C3-5). Make sure you look for buzzwords and giveaways in the question stems so you can figure out what the question writer is trying to ask (e.g., "boggy edema" > probably acute inflammation > use indirect technique/direct technique contraindicated).

I've struggled with OPP too, but I agree with this advice. I don't make outlines and notes for it, but I do make giant flashcard sets for every exam, and that helps a lot. Making the flashcards forces me to review, and then actually doing them forces enough buzzwords and high-yield facts into my head to pass somewhat comfortably.

Saverse should massively help. The comlex is extremely OMM heavy. It's kinda the DOs brand and it's like trying to graduate from hamburger university without being able to make a Big Mac. What helped me is there are basically like 7 or so techniques (muscle energy, counters train, etc) that just get applied to most major muscles in the body. You're just doing the same thing over and over again though. If u know what each of those do the the muscle or structure you can apply them everywhere.

I used 1. Saverese. 2. Pocket OMT manual (OMG thank the Lord! Have an HVLA and sacrum OMM practical on wednesday) 3. Didactics online youtube 4. OMMinutes 5. Counterstrain Atlas youtube and finally in class, I just started recording with my ipad the moment the mechanism is presented. Better to have a 9 minute video than several hours to be fishing and hunting through.

It was hard for me to understand sacral motion but those resources helped me tremendously.

I used 1. Saverese. 2. Pocket OMT manual (OMG thank the Lord! Have an HVLA and sacrum OMM practical on wednesday) 3. Didactics online youtube 4. OMMinutes 5. Counterstrain Atlas youtube and finally in class, I just started recording with my ipad the moment the mechanism is presented. Better to have a 9 minute video than several hours to be fishing and hunting through.

It was hard for me to understand sacral motion but those resources helped me tremendously.

Sacrum was honestly a low point in my education. Being done with it offered my more relief than anything so far.

Sacrum was honestly a low point in my education. Being done with it offered my more relief than anything so far.
Wait until you get to cranial. Speaking of the devil, my school made everyone go through sacrum TWICE...b/c they think that it's so d*mn important. :bang:
d7e14310c0261a3c5f84b11d7f8e91f4.jpg

Wait until you get to cranial. Speaking of the devil, my school made everyone go through sacrum TWICE...b/c they think that it's so d*mn important. :bang:

I mean, at the very least scalp and butt massages are pretty great things.

It was. Sadly it does NOT go away for us. We have Dr. Stiles, Dr. Griffin and Dr. Buser teaching us. Thank the LORD Dr. Buser taught us HVLA. He is AMAZING at it. Dr. Griffin sadly will be leaving us because she is the president elect of the American Academy of Osteopathy. That will make me pray and hope sacrum does not come up again. Sacrum was Block 4, we are at the end of block 6 and it will be on this POM practical. It just never goes away. Dr. Stiles's power points are psychidelic, you can find them on youtube.
I have been warned about cranial. I believe it is next block for us. Cranial mixed with Ortho. :(

Last edited:
I don't go to a DO school but I was under the impression that the OMM stuff at DO schools was supposed to be the easiest part.

Yeah this is crazy. OMM is a for sure A for many at my program. As long as we learn and study what they tell us to we do very well.. As it should be, I don't see how tricking students with undiscussed material is beneficial.

Yeah this is crazy. OMM is a for sure A for many at my program. As long as we learn and study what they tell us to we do very well.. As it should be, I don't see how tricking students with undiscussed material is beneficial.

Agreed, at my school the class is a damn annoying weekly time sink but the tests are super easy if you put in even a small amount of effort. I literally started looking over the PPT slides at 5pm the evening before the midterm last semester and still got a high B. I don't know of anyone that is even close to failing, and it sucks that at some schools this isn't the case. Considering how few DOs actually use OMT on a consistent basis I don't think the bar to pass this class should be set so high that it actually becomes barrier to graduation if you are doing well in your other core classes.

Yeah OMM can be annoying but it certainly helps having a fair evaluation system. I want to give it the benefit of the doubt, I don't feel like our school has covered the 'more applicable' areas of the trade yet.

One has to work at actually failing OMM, but as per the OP, when you have Dr A and Dr B both testing you on the same technique,and scoring you divergently, then it's the faculty that has a problem, not the student. My poor students rail about this all the time, yet some of my DO colleagues never get the message. Drives the rest of us up the wall.

I don't go to a DO school but I was under the impression that the OMM stuff at DO schools was supposed to be the easiest part.

Reactions: 2 users
I need a tutor for OMM/ OMT written questions for further clarifications. Please email me: [email protected]

I'm a first year DO student.

Thanks