Fair compensation per RVU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

two guys

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Some of the recent threads on firefighter positions and pay got me trying to figure out how much of the money I generate goes to overhead or someone elses profit. I know the medicare payment per rvu is $34, I imagine the insurance companies are paying a little more and there's also a ton of unpayed and uncollected rvus. Obviously this varies geographically. It's hard to go from that $34 to what is a reasonable reimbursement since we don't know the overhead, unpayed percentage, and private insurance percentage.

Instead, I thought I'd ask what are people finding is a typical $/RVU for their areas? There's been a few threads on this that I found by searching but there hasn't been a great deal of answers.

It seems like this is as important as all the threads on hourly pay. I bet there's a great deal of us who are effectively paid by RVU even if we have some guaranteed hourly.

Most of us have in our contracts to not discuss our actual pay, so I'll refrain from talking about my current contract. I do know that when I went looking last year the numbers varied broadly and were as low as $17 (but counting rvus generated by midlevels charts signed) and as high as $25 (not counting any rvus generated by midlevel charts you sign). These were from a few democratic groups and a few cmgs mostly in the south.

What have y'all seen?

Members don't see this ad.

It will vary depending on your pay structure. For example, mine is a hourly pay + RVU. so the RVU here will be a lot lower than someone who is just RVU based or has a lower/higher guaranteed hourly rate.

Thanks for the reply drguy,

Even for a lot of jobs with guaranteed hourly, you're getting paid only by RVU.

For example, at one of the places I looked at the guaranteed hourly was $170. The $/rvu was $22 and the average rvu/hr was 9. 9x22=$198/hr. Anybody generating less than $170/hr in rvus made $170 (no one in the group since the lowest guy generated 8 rvu/hr). Anybody generating more just got their rvu pay. So, for that job, it didn't really matter what the guaranteed hourly was because you were always going to get paid by rvu.

I did look at another place where the guaranteed hourly was much higher (200). They had rvu incentives but the multiplier was so low (I think it was $15) that no one ever got paid by rvu. They all just made their hourly.

I guess there are some places where the rvu is a pool of money that always gets paid out no matter what the collections are. Everyone just gets a percentage based on their ranking among the group in terms of rvu generated. For those guys, I guess the multiplier really doesn't matter as much.

I'm looking forward to hearing from more of y'all

This totally depends on your group. I dont have a number to provide but I know in some places private insurance is only 110% of medicare and others are getting 300% of medicare. This is a huge difference.

I think if people in good jobs are making $250/hr and they are at 9 RVUs then they are getting a little under $30/RVU. This is such a complex question due to midlevels etc. Payment schemes (and thats what they are schemes) are often complicated and therefore tough to compare.

If you look at the Daniel Stern data on pay and figure out most peoples avg RVU you could get a number but I doubt it would be applicable to your situation.