Fall 2012 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SoCalAud

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

The Fall 2012 cycle is finally here and it is our turn to start preparing for grad school applications!!! :soexcited:

The purpose of this thread is to ask questions, discuss any issues, and to help each other out.

Here are some topic ideas you might want to bring up:

• Au.D Programs
  • GRE (old/revised version)
  • Letter of Intent
  • Letter of Recommendations
  • Scholarships/Loans/other financial questions
  • Specialty areas
  • PhD route
  • and the list could go on!!!
Let's do this!!! :highfive:

Members don't see this ad.

You're so adorable, SoCal! I love that you're starting so early!

:oops: I am too excited!!! Even though the application process already feels like a part-time job, I know it will be worth it at the end.

Members don't see this ad :)
Which GRE are you Fall 2012 applicants taking? I am taking the New (Revised) GRE

Taking the old version. I'd like to get my scores before November.

Last edited:
Taking the old version. I'd like to get my scores before November.

Advice to GRE test-takers: I suggest that you go to http://www.asha.org/edfind.htm and find out what the average GRE scores are for accepted applicants at programs you might be interested in. I did this and set my target GRE score for 100 points over the average. It's good to work towards a number.

Test Prep: I recommend Nova's GRE Math Bible. It's a 300 page PDF file and will cover everything you need to know for the old GRE. Also, it purposely put more difficult questions than you will see on the actual GRE for practice. If you master those questions, you should be able to master the most difficult questions on the GRE. I used this, got through half and improved my score 130 points in one month. (I took the GRE for the first time in December..bombed it and retook it in January, I don't recommend people doing this). Also, I recommend the Barron's Math Workbook if you want something on paper.

For the Verbal: MEMORIZE VOCAB! If people say otherwise, they are WRONG. If you memorize 1000 words, you improve your score a 100 points. I recommend the Kaplan GRE exam vocab flashcards as well as the Barron's word lists. Don't try to memorize definitions but instead do something like this: "My boyfriend is LACONIC, he doesn't speak much." With this sentence, you associate the word with something you can associate it with AND incorporate a brief definition within the sentence. Write the word on one side of the flashcard and your made up sentence on the other side.

I suggest you don't focus on latin/greek roots until you have learned at least 1000 words. You have will have a better understanding of the roots in words by then.

I suggest focusing on the recommended strategies of BOTH Princeton Review and Kaplan. They both employ different strategies on how to tackle the GRE and by looking over both, you can find which strategies work best for you. This is probably most important thing you can possibly do. The GRE is easily mastered if you have a strong grasp of test strategies that work for you. For instance: How can you still get a question right if you don't know the word? There are strategies for that.

Read "The New York Times" and "The Economist", this will help you with the most difficult part of the test, reading comprehension.

If you are aiming to get over 600 on the GRE, like I was, I recommend Kaplan GRE Exam Advanced Verbal. This helps you "fine tune" your test taking skills for the verbal portion. However, if you aren't scoring at least 550 on the verbal, this may not be the best option for you to start off with.

Take as MANY practice tests as you can, a big part of doing well is being familiar with the test and understanding how it works.

You may have to take the test more than once, that's okay. Not everyone can be like my boyfriend who studied ten hours for the GRE and broke 1300 (some people are just good at taking tests). I had to take it twice and did about 300 points better the second time. I focused on my weaknesses and made them my strengths :).

Take as MANY practice tests as you can, a big part of doing well is being familiar with the test and understanding how it works.

You may have to take the test more than once, that's okay. Not everyone can be like my boyfriend who studied ten hours for the GRE and broke 1300 (some people are just good at taking tests). I had to take it twice and did about 300 points better the second time. I focused on my weaknesses and made them my strengths :).

Princeton offers practice tests online (FREE) and in some of their handbooks. I got three Princeton Reviews books (friends') with everything on there, one verbal workout book, and one vocabulary book. I suggest making sentences with these words because you'll actually remember them. Of course, if you continue applying them. I always mess with my boyfriend by using these words. For example, I said "J-, you're the most loquacious person in the room! Shhhhh!" And his facial expressions help me remember the vocabs very well.

How was the analytical writing section for you guys?

I just took the GRE yesterday. I have mixed feelings about my scores. I did pretty well on math (690) but pretty horrible on verbal (460). I definitely didn't study enough vocab. Does anyone know if grad schools look more at the cumulative score or like each part separately? I hope my writing shows that I don't suck that much at English! I don't really want to retake it but I guess I will if it'll hurt my chances. Also does everyone know where they are applying? There are so many schools I get overwhelmed!

SoCalAuD, I did average with a 4 and 4.5 (retake). I believe the writing portion is important but it's not the end of the world if you don't do that well. I feel like there is a lot more variability with the writing questions and not enough variability with scoring so schools most likely take that into account. A strong verbal score, good grades in English/Comp Lit classes and a well written personal statement would help negate a low writing score.

If you do like five GRE practice essays timed, you should be fine. I would also review the timing recommendations in your Kaplan book.

UpstateAuD, your cumulative is average for accepted applicants at competitive programs. I don't know how much your low verbal score will matter but you appear to be someone who will benefit from a retake...especially since you didn't place much emphasis on studying for the verbal. I feel like a strong verbal score is more likely to impress because it's harder to get a high verbal score than it is for math. Also, you may want to wait and see what your percentile is compared to everyone else. This will be mailed out to you in 10-15 days (if you took the GRE today).

Does anyone know if grad schools look more at the cumulative score or like each part separately? I hope my writing shows that I don't suck that much at English! I don't really want to retake it but I guess I will if it'll hurt my chances.

Well, I'm looking at application forms right now and they ask for both your math and verbal scores, and then your combined score. I'm pretty sure they would focus more on your overall score. I think you did pretty well considering that was your first test! I'd take it again to see if I can do better.

How was the analytical writing section for you guys?

I got a 5 on the AWA because I paid careful attention to what the scoring criteria were. You can find them on the ets.org/gre website, along with all of the possible essay prompts. I did brainstorming for a few of the prompts ahead of time but never really wrote out a full essay.

Basically, they want to see that you can analyze an argument (even in your 'form an argument' response) and produce/dispute a potential counterargument, complete with plenty of applicable examples and application.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was on facebook earlier today and noticed how large some of the incoming AuD classes are. I've also heard through other people that their classes are at like 15+. How large is too large?? Do you think this is something to take note of when one is applying to AuD programs? I didn't think of when I was applying and it didn't matter because both my top choices were capped at 10 and 13 respectively.

I'm concerned because how on earth does everyone get enough practice in clinic if you have large numbers? Or individual attention by faculty?

What are your reasons for a pursuing a career in audiology?

SoCal-

I was searching for my AuD group on facebook but forgot to put the name of the school (just a fluke) so a bunch of groups popped up :). But really, how many is too many in a class?

Last edited:
I was on facebook earlier today and noticed how large some of the incoming AuD classes are. I've also heard through other people that their classes are at like 15+. How large is too large?? Do you think this is something to take note of when one is applying to AuD programs? I didn't think of when I was applying and it didn't matter because both my top choices were capped at 10 and 13 respectively.

I'm concerned because how on earth does everyone get enough practice in clinic if you have large numbers? Or individual attention by faculty?

It really depends on the program. Personally I don't think size is too big an issue when it comes to academic classes. The main issue arises re: clinical placements and having enough available for 3 years of students that are on campus. I knew a student at Missouri State who was having to drive ~2 hours each way for one clinical placement b/c there weren't enough nearby. The program I am in doesn't cap, but typically admits 20 students per year and has found that class size generally averages out. The current distro is something like 5, 7, and 13 (incoming 1st years). I thought the 13 sounded big but I was talking with our clinical director and she had at one pointed successfully placed successive classes of 12 and 13 students. It helps that we are in a largish metro area (Memphis) that has a strong medical community that also is willing to work with students. Take a look at the area in which the program is and find out about clinical placements.

It really depends on the program. Personally I don't think size is too big an issue when it comes to academic classes. The main issue arises re: clinical placements and having enough available for 3 years of students that are on campus. I knew a student at Missouri State who was having to drive ~2 hours each way for one clinical placement b/c there weren't enough nearby. The program I am in doesn't cap, but typically admits 20 students per year and has found that class size generally averages out. The current distro is something like 5, 7, and 13 (incoming 1st years). I thought the 13 sounded big but I was talking with our clinical director and she had at one pointed successfully placed successive classes of 12 and 13 students. It helps that we are in a largish metro area (Memphis) that has a strong medical community that also is willing to work with students. Take a look at the area in which the program is and find out about clinical placements.

My class size is also at thirteen which my program can reasonably support given the size of the department and locale (Seattle). Each class varies from 11 to 13 and we usually admit about twenty as well. . It's just that I've been noticing how much class size has grown from the previous year to this year. If I was in a class of twenty people (which I have heard about), I'd be very nervous about clinical placements.

The thought didn't even occur to me when I was applying last year (obviously it didn't end up mattering) but with budget cuts and increasing numbers of applicants, more schools will likely increase the number of spots with the same number of clinic placements. So what I'm asking is should we recommend 2012 applicants to seek info about class size and how it might relate to clinic placements? I didn't realize how much clinic placements matter until I heard some people in their 2nd and 3rd years talking about it. Plentiful clinic placements equates to better externship opportunities is what I've heard.

Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum. :p I'm Christie and a recent graduate at SFSU in communication disorders. Before I begin applying to audiology schools for fall 2012, I'd like to know if we must have chemistry, physics, and trigonometry. I was never aware that i'd have to take these courses until now.

I noticed some of the prerequisites for some schools gives us an option to take one or the other (like ATSU, but I do not know which physical science course). Any suggestions/advice? Are there schools that don't require such prerequisites? I'm stressed. :(

Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum. :p I'm Christie and a recent graduate at SFSU in communication disorders. Before I begin applying to audiology schools for fall 2012, I'd like to know if we must have chemistry, physics, and trigonometry. I was never aware that i'd have to take these courses until now.

I noticed some of the prerequisites for some schools gives us an option to take one or the other (like ATSU, but I do not know which physical science course). Any suggestions/advice? Are there schools that don't require such prerequisites? I'm stressed. :(

You aren't required to take any of the above. It looks good if you do but it isn't required. Northwestern has a good list of what classes they recommend you to take:

http://www.communication.northwestern.edu/programs/doctor_audiology/prerequisites.php

Anxiously waiting for everyone to start their Au.D program! :) Would love to hear about your first few week's experience.

I'm open to hearing from current Au.D students, as well! :)

Last edited:
Hello everyone, quick question. Is there a centralized system where you can upload all your letter of recommendations to be sent out to multiple schools, or do you have to send them individually by mail with the signature on the flap?

Hello everyone, quick question. Is there a centralized system where you can upload all your letter of recommendations to be sent out to multiple schools, or do you have to send them individually by mail with the signature on the flap?

Unfortunately, this varies by program. If your prospective school uses the CSDCAS system, you will be able to have the letters uploaded or submitted electronically. Many other programs still require the classic signature-over-flap style. Take a gander at each school's "Admissions FAQ" for more information, or just figure it out when you apply.

What helped me keep things straight was creating packets for my recommenders. I had instructions for each school and envelopes already addressed, etc.

It can get complicated, so good luck! :)

I know, guys! I've been here since 2008!!! I can't wait!

I've got three schools to visit this Fall and a 1:1 meeting with one of my dream schools in September.

<3 If only one of my favorite AR researchers chose to stay there, but CID called her name.

The only thing I am focusing on right now is studying for the GRE. What else can we do to start preparing for the applications?

The only thing I am focusing on right now is studying for the GRE. What else can we do to start preparing for the applications?

I think we've pretty much covered it, here... Start your CSDCAS if any of your schools use the system (UIowa does). Ask early for letters of recommendation, and provide your writers with stuff they can write about or something to help them remember you. Work on your statement of purpose, and check to see if one school has a different prompt than others (in which case, write your papers separately).

You can prepare almost all of your application materials early, even if you won't turn them in until January. It will make your semester MUCH less stressful.

My class size is also at thirteen which my program can reasonably support given the size of the department and locale (Seattle). Each class varies from 11 to 13 and we usually admit about twenty as well. . It's just that I've been noticing how much class size has grown from the previous year to this year. If I was in a class of twenty people (which I have heard about), I'd be very nervous about clinical placements.

The thought didn't even occur to me when I was applying last year (obviously it didn't end up mattering) but with budget cuts and increasing numbers of applicants, more schools will likely increase the number of spots with the same number of clinic placements. So what I'm asking is should we recommend 2012 applicants to seek info about class size and how it might relate to clinic placements? I didn't realize how much clinic placements matter until I heard some people in their 2nd and 3rd years talking about it. Plentiful clinic placements equates to better externship opportunities is what I've heard.

i agree-class size can be an issue. it really just depends on how many students your program can support in its clinic if it has an on-campus practicum, and then also how many audiologists in the area are willing to take on interns. a lot of students isn't an issue if the practicum site has enough opportunities for everyone and there are more internship sites than students.

no program is going to admit that this could be an issue when they are trying to recruit you. i would recomend asking about how many internship sites they have contracts with. if they say they have contracts with 20 audiologists in the area then that's pretty good, but keep in mind not all 20 may accept students every semester. also if you want to stay in that area, ask about what percentage of the students are able to find 4th year positions locally.

a heads up to anyone coming to DC - there are 3 AuD programs in this area. even though we're a large metropolitan area, 3 programs is still a lot to support. most people move for the 4th year placements, at least from my program. that's partially because people want to get out of dodge (it takes a certain person to really like life in DC-like me!) :) but it's also because there just aren't enough good sites for everyone.

isly-happy-fourth-of-july-graphic.png

Have a great weekend, everyone! And be safe!!!

-S

P.S. Plug your ears ;)

Last edited:
I am also going to apply this year, but I am Canadian, so I'll be applying here & not in the US!

Best of luck to everyone!! :)

Hi sunshiineAUD,

Which schools in Canada are you applying to?

Hi SoCalAud!

I'm applying to the University of Ottawa, which is where I am currently doing my BSc honours in biology (it's a bilingual institution, but the audiology program at the school is taught in french, and I happen to be fluent in both languages lol). I am also applying to the University of Western Ontario, and the Universite de Montreal (program at that school is also taught in french). Unfortunately, we only have 5 audiology schools in this country! And they take few students each year...so I'm crossing my fingers I get in!! Where will you be applying? I can only start sending in my applications mid-october/early november but I was planning on writing my statement of intent this summer as from what I can see by looking at various posts on this forum, the application process can be very time consuming!!

By the way, will you be doing an honours project this year?! I will be doing one, but since I am specializing in bio my research has nothing to do with communication sciences :( so I'd love to hear what other seniors on this forum will be researching!

Anxiously waiting for everyone to start their Au.D program! :) Would love to hear about your first few week's experience.

I'm open to hearing from current Au.D students, as well! :)

i remember the first few weeks being information overload trying to get a handle on university, departmental, and clinical procedures and rules.

it was exciting getting to know my fellow classmates and snagging a minute here and there from the busy 2nd and 3rd years to get the skinny on what my future might have in store.

i didn't know what to expect from classes so i was really disciplined at first (which has slowly weakened ever since). the new material was super interesting especially adding fine details to the basics i had already studied, and slowly putting all the pieces together for a more comprehensive systemic understanding.

the concept that i was actually going to be responsible for other people clinically was unreal at first. i was super nervous for every clinical appointment i had that first semester, especially because i had to use a 2nd language most of the time. all the same every clinical contact was exciting and empowering and i always felt good afterwards.

not to scare anybody but be prepared for weight changes in your first year. most people in my class either gained or lost weight. i was so stressed out and busy that first semester that i lost 10% of my body weight! i was afraid i had some disease and i even went to get an endoscopy but it turned out to be stress! lots of my classmates gained weight too. don't worry by the second semester we had all chilled out and people starting getting back to normal. :)

i remember the first few weeks being information overload trying to get a handle on university, departmental, and clinical procedures and rules.

it was exciting getting to know my fellow classmates and snagging a minute here and there from the busy 2nd and 3rd years to get the skinny on what my future might have in store.

i didn't know what to expect from classes so i was really disciplined at first (which has slowly weakened ever since). the new material was super interesting especially adding fine details to the basics i had already studied, and slowly putting all the pieces together for a more comprehensive systemic understanding.

the concept that i was actually going to be responsible for other people clinically was unreal at first. i was super nervous for every clinical appointment i had that first semester, especially because i had to use a 2nd language most of the time. all the same every clinical contact was exciting and empowering and i always felt good afterwards.

not to scare anybody but be prepared for weight changes in your first year. most people in my class either gained or lost weight. i was so stressed out and busy that first semester that i lost 10% of my body weight! i was afraid i had some disease and i even went to get an endoscopy but it turned out to be stress! lots of my classmates gained weight too. don't worry by the second semester we had all chilled out and people starting getting back to normal. :)

Great. I look at food and gain weight.

Is the first year really that busy? We are only taking 3 classes and then clinical, and we only have classes Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday for a few hours each day...it seems like nothing!

Is the first year really that busy? We are only taking 3 classes and then clinical, and we only have classes Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday for a few hours each day...it seems like nothing!

Famous last words. ;)

I would like to vouch for the weight change comment. If I drink a milk shake, my ass jiggles for a week. For the course work, you will do fine. The biggest shock to my system was the need to have time management perfected. I missed two required meetings within my first month because I really could not grasp what the hell was going on. Carry a small notebook in your back pocket and write down everything you could possibly need to remember immediately. The studying part is easy. Clinic and external obligations, not so much (if you're like me).

well in my curriculum we were taking 12 credits of graduate classes (three 3-credit classes, one 2-credit class, and one 1-credit class) plus 1 credit of clinical practicum, plus intermediate ASL through professional studies.

but even in semesters where it's only been 3 classes and clinic, it's still a lot. you look at your schedule and think oh i'll have so much free time during the day! and before you know it you're basically living at school.

I would like to vouch for the weight change comment. If I drink a milk shake, my ass jiggles for a week. For the course work, you will do fine. The biggest shock to my system was the need to have time management perfected. I missed two required meetings within my first month because I really could not grasp what the hell was going on. Carry a small notebook in your back pocket and write down everything you could possibly need to remember immediately. The studying part is easy. Clinic and external obligations, not so much (if you're like me).

i'm not gonna agree that the studying part is easy, but i do agree that it's the extra shi*t that makes it overwhelming. my cohort created a google calendar where we all can upload assignments, deadlines, group meetings, anything that we all have in common that needs to be done. it was a saving grace during the first year when i felt like i was running around like a chicken with its head cut off. i could look at the calendar and assure myself that if there was something i was supposed to be doing that i wasn't, at least nobody else was doing it either. :)

Has anyone gotten serious about visiting schools, yet?! Besides those people who already have their final list all made out, of course.

I'm really wanting to visit the University of Washington and Vanderbilt. I also wanna go check things out at UTD. Anyone visited any of those schools and have any advice? My undergrad is from UT Austin, so I was hoping some of my references might carry a bit more weight over there...

Has anyone gotten serious about visiting schools, yet?!

Yep! I visited a few schools last November and will be visiting University of Washington in January. Maybe we will bump into each other there? :)

I think you should definitely visit UTD since you're close compared to UW and Vandy. Are you also going to apply to Austin?

You betcha! I did a clinical honors practicum in the spring before I graduated, and got to know a lot of the professors and graduate students. It's a great program, I'm just not 100% that I want to keep living in Austin for another three years. I'm ready for a change of scenery. However, for anyone considering UT Austin it gets a big recommendation from me!

Has anyone gotten serious about visiting schools, yet?! Besides those people who already have their final list all made out, of course.

I'm really wanting to visit the University of Washington and Vanderbilt. I also wanna go check things out at UTD. Anyone visited any of those schools and have any advice? My undergrad is from UT Austin, so I was hoping some of my references might carry a bit more weight over there...

I visited UTD last year and they really did a fabulous job in setting up a visit for me. I don't think I've ever EVEN seen six AuD faculty members in one day but at UTD, I met with six faculty members, separately, in one day. They are really interested in meeting their applicants and they really go out of their way to host. I recommend you email the head of the Audiology program at UTD (he is really good at responding to emails) and express your interest in visiting. I would also figure out in advance who else you may be interested in meeting (like a faculty member who does a type of research you are interested in, etc) and email them as well.

At the UW, they host an open house for potential applicants. I'm not sure when it is this year but I will check for you! UW does a nice job with hosting as they put more of an emphasis on prospective student interaction with AuD students and clinical faculty, you get more of a day to day feel as to how the program is run, in my opinion.

I strongly recommend people to email a couple of months beforehand, express why you want to visit, who you might want to visit with (and why) and once you do set up a visit, send them a list of questions (questions that can't be answered on the website) beforehand that you are hoping to get answered upon your visit. Stay in contact right up until your visit.

Good luck!

Last edited: