Fall 2012 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys!! im a new member here!! I've just completed my course and am now a pharmacist but i hate hate hate it!! i've been thinking about doing audiology for a long time and have decided i will apply for the 2013 uptake (such a long way away but i guess it means i can try to do my best to improve my chances of getting in) since i have missed the 2012 applications. Its so nice to read all your comments. How did everyone go?? good news from all of you i hope!! im really worried they will look at me and reject me because i don't have a speech and language background!! im really interested in audiology though. What things could i do to improve my chances of getting in besides shadowing an audiologist??

Welcome! :).

You can still apply if you'd like. I know some places have rolling admissions and UTD has applications open till March 15th.

I think your background as a pharmacist will help you IMMENSELY during the application process. A lot of hearing loss occurs as a result of ototoxic drugs and you likely have a biology/chemistry background that can assist you in the AuD program-especially if you want to do research.

Most of my classmates come from NON-speech and hearing background, and I'm at a very well regarded program. I find it incredibly refreshing that my classmates can provide such unique insights as a result of their backgrounds. Their backgrounds include psych, linguistics, neuroscience, cognitive science and spanish.

I think a big thing you need to pay attention to is your SOP because you need to express why you think audiology is your calling and what insight you can offer to the field. Anyone with tons of experience relating to audiology can write a crappy one and not get in anywhere. The SOP matters more in my opinion.

However, volunteering can't hurt. Maybe try to learn ASL, volunteer at clinics or hospitals, shadow an audiologist. There is plenty you can do :).

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Kit Kat,
I am applying to Washington Univ. I havent made my appointment to visit yet but it seems as if it is pretty much mandatory if I want to be considered for admission... now i'm just trying to get the funds together. Anything you can share would be helpful. This is my second round at the application process, I applied last year but only made it as far as the waitlist for all my schools. So how do you like the program? Pros..Cons???

Hi Kit Kat,
I am applying to Washington Univ. I havent made my appointment to visit yet but it seems as if it is pretty much mandatory if I want to be considered for admission... now i'm just trying to get the funds together. Anything you can share would be helpful. This is my second round at the application process, I applied last year but only made it as far as the waitlist for all my schools. So how do you like the program? Pros..Cons???

Hi otoscopin u out, thanks for sharing. Do you mind me asking if you're applying to the same schools or different ones? I'm not even sure how the wait lists work. Do they give you a number or just leave you hanging?
I'd love to hear Kit Kat's response, too. I did visit Wash U and it was one of my most helpful visits I made. I think they also do phone interviews if you can't get there in person.
I'm done with my applications, but get so anxious whenever I think about hearing back from everyone! :scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi otoscopin u out, thanks for sharing. Do you mind me asking if you're applying to the same schools or different ones? I'm not even sure how the wait lists work. Do they give you a number or just leave you hanging?
I'd love to hear Kit Kat's response, too. I did visit Wash U and it was one of my most helpful visits I made. I think they also do phone interviews if you can't get there in person.
I'm done with my applications, but get so anxious whenever I think about hearing back from everyone! :scared:
I am applying to All different schools this time... A bit more informed and not so rushed! So my experience was that the schools all had their own waitlist protocals. A few sent me letters and said that I was ranked high so the likelihood of acceptance was strong.. but I didn't get in. Another school had different waitlists by rank... 1st set waitlist, alternate waitlist, alternate to the alternate wait list lol! I'm sure it went on and on!!!. Another school waitlisted me but told me not to count it out because it can carry into late summer... I would periodically give them a buzz just to check on the progress and would usually just be told" the list has not yet closed and we cannot tell you where you are on the waitlist. Its rough, but I respect the process. I was disappointed not to get in on my first try (only applied to four schools last round) but I wasn't defeated! Here I am again... gonna get in this round.. I can feel it. If you do not mind me asking... was the WU visit some sort of panel interview or was it kind of informal. I called to schedule a phone interview due to funds but was encouraged to still try for a visit before the deadline. Tryin to work it out.. it is all that I can do!

Hey all, another Fall 2012 applicant here. And a new member.

I'm applying to a number of different AuD schools, coming from a non-CSD undergrad. I recently visited my number one choice and I'm really worried that I blew it. On paper, I seem like a fine applicant, but I really get the feeling that I didn't make a solid, personal impression on the faculty/students with whom I met. I mentioned to them that the school was far and away my top choice, but I'm unsure that my reassurances helped my cause much. Perhaps I'm being a little neurotic, but in any case, can someone offer some suggestions for how I could follow up and ensure the admissions department that I'm serious about attending?

Hey all, another Fall 2012 applicant here. And a new member.

I'm applying to a number of different AuD schools, coming from a non-CSD undergrad. I recently visited my number one choice and I'm really worried that I blew it. On paper, I seem like a fine applicant, but I really get the feeling that I didn't make a solid, personal impression on the faculty/students with whom I met. I mentioned to them that the school was far and away my top choice, but I'm unsure that my reassurances helped my cause much. Perhaps I'm being a little neurotic, but in any case, can someone offer some suggestions for how I could follow up and ensure the admissions department that I'm serious about attending?

Hi CarbonCtrlc,

After my visits, I personally emailed each faculty member I met with and thanked them for their time. I did this because it's the polite thing to do and I wanted to express gratitude for the time they took to meet with me.

If you haven't already, I would email the people you met with, thank them for their time, mention something you enjoyed about your visit with them, tell them that their program is one you are strongly interested in and perhaps dig up a couple more questions to ask them. Keeping that dialog open enables you to continue to express your interest. I've learned interest, enthusiasm and confidence is key in this process.

If you haven't already, I would email the people you met with, thank them for their time, mention something you enjoyed about your visit with them, tell them that their program is one you are strongly interested in and perhaps dig up a couple more questions to ask them.

Not that an email isn't nice or adequate, but why not send a good old fashioned letter? If I were a faculty member, that would impress me more than an email.

By the way, welcome to the forum! Love the name. :) Keep your chin up; I think we're all harder on ourselves than anyone else.

If you do not mind me asking... was the WU visit some sort of panel interview or was it kind of informal. I called to schedule a phone interview due to funds but was encouraged to still try for a visit before the deadline. Tryin to work it out.. it is all that I can do!

Sorry - guess it's been a couple weeks since I was on here. When I visited, there was one other personal also visiting. We met with the chair of the department and the person who heads up the audiology program. For that, we sat down with them and told a little about ourselves, how we became interested in audiology, and that kind of thing. Very informal. They both then gave us a tour of the program and the clinic, school for the deaf, and research labs they have there in their building. After that we sat down again with them and the admissions person so we could ask questions. At the end, we went to lunch with a 2nd year Au.D. student and she walked us across campus so we could see where some of the other campus clinics were located, like the adult CI program, children's hospital, etc. There was a lot of info, but not as formal of an interview as I expected.

I think they said their first admissions meeting is next week.

Hi all!

How is everybody doing with the app process?

I was late to the game last year and only able to apply to one school at the last minute(Bloomsburg U). I got accepted but didn't accept the offer in return after visiting the campus...

This year I'm more prepared (I've been working as an Audiology Asst since last summer). I applied to a couple of schools but really want to get into JMU. I was offered an interview; which will be on Monday, Feb. 20th.

I'm super excited and a little nervous. Has anybody else had an interview at JMU? If so, can you provide any feedback or tips?

Are other programs doing interviews? How are they going for everybody?

Keeping my fingers crossed for acceptances for all of us! :)

Hey, good luck! Iowa's interview day is next Friday. I know people are getting super-nervous, but I'm sure you all will do just fine!

Sent from my DROIDX using SDN Mobile

Thanks so much!

Hey, good luck! Iowa's interview day is next Friday. I know people are getting super-nervous, but I'm sure you all will do just fine!

Sent from my DROIDX using SDN Mobile

I still have an interview to schedule for one program, and I'm waiting to hear back from a couple of schools. I just need to figure out funding.

Once I have funding proposals, I can actual make decisions that make logical sense.

Sorry - guess it's been a couple weeks since I was on here. When I visited, there was one other personal also visiting. We met with the chair of the department and the person who heads up the audiology program. For that, we sat down with them and told a little about ourselves, how we became interested in audiology, and that kind of thing. Very informal. They both then gave us a tour of the program and the clinic, school for the deaf, and research labs they have there in their building. After that we sat down again with them and the admissions person so we could ask questions. At the end, we went to lunch with a 2nd year Au.D. student and she walked us across campus so we could see where some of the other campus clinics were located, like the adult CI program, children's hospital, etc. There was a lot of info, but not as formal of an interview as I expected.

I think they said their first admissions meeting is next week.
Wannabeaud... no worries.. Thanks for the info. I hope we all start to hear things sooner rather than later.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all!

I was late to the game last year and only able to apply to one school at the last minute(Bloomsburg U). I got accepted but didn't accept the offer in return after visiting the campus...

This year I'm more prepared (I've been working as an Audiology Asst since last summer). I applied to a couple of schools but really want to get into JMU. I was offered an interview; which will be on Monday, Feb. 20th.

I'm super excited and a little nervous. Has anybody else had an interview at JMU? If so, can you provide any feedback or tips?

Keeping my fingers crossed for acceptances for all of us! :)
AUDITY, OMG your interview is tomorrow. I just want to wish you the best of luck.. Go in there and put your best foot forward. Let JMU see that you are the choice for them! Lets us know how it goes o.k. Best Wishes.

Hi all!

Audity,

Wishing you the best on your interview tomorrow!!!! :clap: Don't be nervous; just go in there and tell them why you want this so much! You will do great! :)

Best regards,

SoCalAuD

Audity-

Good luck! I had my interview at JMU last week!! It's a long day, but take it all in! The grad students are so nice and the professors are really friendly and want to get to know you. Best of luck!

Thanks everybody!

I'm more excited than anything. I've been taking notes about all of the current research projects going on there and coming up with some questions to ask. My clothes are laid out and ironed. I think I'm ready! :)

Here goes nothin'...

(GradSchool2012: Best wishes to you on an acceptance and here's to hoping we'll be classmates next year!).

Audity... Don't forget to tell us how your interview went.. I'm so excited to hear about it!

Audity... Don't forget to tell us how your interview went.. I'm so excited to hear about it!

I think it went well! Everybody I met was helpful and knowledgeable. We met with current students and the professors in the department. They've got a great program there! Apparently (and fortunately), they move fairly quickly so I should hear something next Monday. I will definitely keep you posted. (in the meantime, i'm keeping my fingers crossed). :xf: Thanks for caring!

and Best Wishes to anybody else going to interviews and/or waiting to hear back about admission. :)

Glad to hear your interview went well!

What programs are you guys seriously considering?

I'm trying to decide between Towson and Maryland, and waiting to hear from JMU on Monday like Audity said. Those are my top 3, I've been comparing and contrasting different aspects and I am just so unsure! Any words of advice?

No advice from me... UMD is my #1. I'm interested to know how many applicants they had this year to be quite honest. I'm already a bit apprehensive about Towson because of class size, and I haven't even interviewed there yet. I love the availability of dedicated labs on campus as well as the location there, though.

I'd hate to run into the class size issue with UMD, though.

They've got a great program there! Apparently (and fortunately), they move fairly quickly so I should hear something next Monday. :)

Fall 2011 applicant here: It is true that JMU fills their class up fast. I was drawn to the program because of their strong tuition support. I took part in the last set of interviews there last spring, and received my rejection letter the very next week (the first week of March). I had heard back from only one other school at that point and JMU had already filled their class.

I ended up getting accepted to every other school I applied to and my program took until at least late April to fill the class. JMU intrigued me (cool research, good tuition support), but I probably would not have chosen it in the end anyways.

Good luck to this year's applicants!

Would you mind me asking why you think you wouldn't have chosen it in the end if you were excepted? You don't have to say real personal reasons! I'm just interested in hearing what it lacks in comparison to other programs, and what would deter you. I'm really just torn between JMU Towson and UMD.

Like 2EarisHuman said, the class size at Towson is a big con for me, but they have great connections and their new clinic is supposed to be amazing. Plus, I love the general area. However, I have heard in-house clinic hours aren't as available as say UMD or JMU, and also I like how at JMU and UMD you are put right into the clinic in first semester and they have a very strong research background.

I felt the people were most friendly at Towson and JMU however though. And, JMU offers great funding, and so does Towson (not as much though I believe...) However, I have to wait till Monday to hear from JMU anyway! Hard decision, anyone feel free to weigh in!! Current or past applicants!! What do you look for in a program??

I have two phone interviews with Texas Tech and Oklahoma tomorrow.

Anyone done these schools in the past?

Gradschool2012,
I just realized I must have met you at the Towson interview! I'm sort of in the same situation as you. I was accepted to both Towson and UMD as well. However, I haven't visited UMD yet. (I'm going to try to schedule a visit over spring break.)
I'm wondering if you or anyone else would mind telling me a little bit about your experience visiting UMD and what aspects you're thinking about when comparing the two programs. (Maybe why UMD is your #1 choice 2EarlsHuman?) Any information at all about UMD would be really helpful until I can visit. Thanks!

Hi guys! I am new to the forum. I'm graduating, in May, from the CSD department at Southeastern Louisiana University. I'm getting so nervous reading all of the posts!!:eek: I'm a "non-traditional student" and have a family of my own, so I have only applied to LSU New Orleans (its within driving distance for me). I am hoping and praying that I get in!!!!!!:xf:

Hey guys!! im a new member here!! I've just completed my course and am now a pharmacist but i hate hate hate it!! i've been thinking about doing audiology for a long time and have decided i will apply for the 2013 uptake (such a long way away but i guess it means i can try to do my best to improve my chances of getting in) since i have missed the 2012 applications. Its so nice to read all your comments. How did everyone go?? good news from all of you i hope!! im really worried they will look at me and reject me because i don't have a speech and language background!! im really interested in audiology though. What things could i do to improve my chances of getting in besides shadowing an audiologist??

Though I'm working on a degree in speech & hearing now, when applying I only had a few introductory courses under my belt. If you're genuinely worried that it will work against you, you can take some S&H course work, which just might be a good idea anyway.

Be sure to get strong recommendations: don't be scared to ask if someone you have in mind can write not just a recommendation, but a positive one on your behalf. No one wants to waste time, so that alone might knock out a few obstacles.

Be honest in your essay and make a point to talk about why you're leaving pharmacy and why you believe audiology is the right choice for you, and you should have as good as a shot as anyone else with comparable scores & stats at getting accepted. Good luck!

Hello AudHopefully,
Welcome to the forum.. I'm kind of new as well! I have a friend that started at LSU New Orleans last Fall and so far he is enjoying it. He mentioned some pros and cons as can happen with any school a person applies to (depending on the individual of course). If you are accepted, make sure to post it on the Official 2012 Audiology acceptance thread! And if you want I can ask him any questions you may want answers to (from a current students perspective!) Best of Luck!

:thumbup:Thanks so much! I'll have to think of some questions. I will definitely post when (if :oops:) I get in.

I got an invite to interview at Pacific University in Oregon! As excited as I am, 2 weeks notice to come up with money for a flight and hotel is not looking very good for me. I am waiting to find out if the school will do telephone or video conferencing for out of state interviews. If I am unable to attend the interview day on campus, am I out of the running for admissions? Any words of advice or suggestions would be great!

Hello everyone I'm a new member! I applied to ATSU and was wondering if anyone could share their experience. Just anything--Interview process, numberof students they accept, do they focus heavily in grades/gre/experience, about the school, etc. Thanks! Good luck to all of us! :p

Gradschool2012,
I just realized I must have met you at the Towson interview! I'm sort of in the same situation as you. I was accepted to both Towson and UMD as well. However, I haven't visited UMD yet. (I'm going to try to schedule a visit over spring break.)
I'm wondering if you or anyone else would mind telling me a little bit about your experience visiting UMD and what aspects you're thinking about when comparing the two programs. (Maybe why UMD is your #1 choice 2EarlsHuman?) Any information at all about UMD would be really helpful until I can visit. Thanks!

I apologize for looking over your comment until now.

My main preference for UMD is their heavy research focus, as well as the possibility to do the combined AuD./Ph.D. I'm very torn on whether I'd like to get the combined degrees, so I want to keep my options open. Whatever I decide, the faculty at UMD are the most varied of the schools I applied to and have focuses among them that match my current interests more than any other collective faculty at the other schools I'm applying to. There also seems to be some kind of pending financial aid, and well, that's always a plus. I just need to find out what it is...

Anyone else out there getting impatient/worried? I have only heard from one of my schools....still waiting to hear from four more. Now that's a whole lotta waiting lol! I can't take this much longer...(fingers crossed!) :xf: :scared:

Anyone else out there getting impatient/worried? I have only heard from one of my schools....still waiting to hear from four more. Now that's a whole lotta waiting lol! I can't take this much longer...(fingers crossed!) :xf: :scared:

I am. At least you've heard from others. I haven't heard from any of my schools yet. I have two interviews coming up! So you're not alone. :)

I wouldn't worry too much. If you check all of the Fall 20** Acceptance threads, you can get a general idea of when the schools you applied to send back decisions. All of the ones I'm waiting on seem to make their decisions this week of the year.

Thanks CarbonCtrlc!.... You are soooo right. I am going to check that now! So far I only have acceptance to one school.. I am very happy about that, don't get me wrong.. Its an amazing school, but its always nice to have options. Just trying to wait..patiently lol!

I am so nervous!! I still have a while to wait. The graduate admissions is just sending all of the complete apps to the AuD dept at LSU!!! Aaauuugghhh!

Is anyone else out there about to jump out of their skin with anxiety?! This waiting game is gonna kill me! I'm glad they take time to really review applications...but...I'm just so stinking impatient!

Is anyone else out there about to jump out of their skin with anxiety?! This waiting game is gonna kill me! I'm glad they take time to really review applications...but...I'm just so stinking impatient!

Oh Me too. And all of my schools are clear across the country so the sooner I can narrow things down the better. Plus I have a daughter that I need to find an excellent school district to enroll her in. Can't just think about myself when considering these schools! My number 1 pick is Wash U in St. Louis but nobody should ever make a decision in haste right? LOL! I need the rest of these schools to roll in so I can make "an informed decision" LOL! Anyone else considering Wash U in St. Louis?

Gonnabeanaud, congrats on your acceptance to your schools thus far! Hope the rest are all positive and roll in sooner than later.... Mine too!

Thank you! What an agonizing game!

What kind of criteria are you going to use to decide? Right now I'm mainly considering research opportunities and who is gonna save me the most dollah bills!

Thank you! What an agonizing game!

What kind of criteria are you going to use to decide? Right now I'm mainly considering research opportunities and who is gonna save me the most dollah bills!

As of now I am also considering research opps since I have a specific interest or specialty that I would like to explore. Funding is definitely important but I am willing to give a little on that if there is a superb school that I can get my daughter into. Also, schools that are directly part of a medical school/medical environment (for exposure/opportunity/variety) rather than schools who are associated or have contracts with nearby facilities. Ugggg... s much to consider... so little time!

Has anyone heard back from ATSU? I know they accept some individuals immediately following the interview, but I wasn't one of them, and now the wait is killing me.

Hey everyone!
New member, Fall 2012 applicant.

I applied to UT-Austin (waitlisted) and UT-Dallas (still waiting to hear...), and I'm wondering id anyone has any input on either of their programs?

I was anxious to get back to UT-Austin since that's where I did my undergrad and I love the city, but I've heard from a couple people that their program isn't exactly up to date, or on par with some of the better programs out there, such as UT-Dallas. Anyone know anything they'd like to share on that point?

Also, does anyone know when UTD starts accepting people? I know their application deadline is really late, but the waiting is awful!

Hey everyone!
New member, Fall 2012 applicant.

I applied to UT-Austin (waitlisted) and UT-Dallas (still waiting to hear...), and I'm wondering id anyone has any input on either of their programs?

I was anxious to get back to UT-Austin since that's where I did my undergrad and I love the city, but I've heard from a couple people that their program isn't exactly up to date, or on par with some of the better programs out there, such as UT-Dallas. Anyone know anything they'd like to share on that point?

Also, does anyone know when UTD starts accepting people? I know their application deadline is really late, but the waiting is awful!

Hi sierradawn0,

I think UT-Dallas is a fantastic program and they have excellent faculty who are involved with their students. In addition, they have top-notch research and clinical opportunities. UTD was my top choice but when it came down to it, I wasn't ready to move so far away to an unfamiliar city. However, I consider myself very happy where I'm currently at.

UT-Dallas has several rounds of acceptances before they dip down into their wait list. They do their notifications differently from other programs.My acceptance letter was dated Feb 28th and I received it about a week later. I'm under the impression I was in the first round of decisions. Connie, the program assistant, is very friendly and responds quickly to emails and phone calls, I suggest you contact her if you would like an update to your application.

Please PM me if you have any further questions. I'd be glad to help you answer them. I will keep my fingers crossed for you!

Hi guys! I am new to the forum. I'm graduating, in May, from the CSD department at Southeastern Louisiana University. I'm getting so nervous reading all of the posts!!:eek: I'm a "non-traditional student" and have a family of my own, so I have only applied to LSU New Orleans (its within driving distance for me). I am hoping and praying that I get in!!!!!!:xf:

Hi! I currently attend LSUHSC in New Orleans and am in my first year. I havn't heard anything definite but it seems like they want to start getting their incoming class for this fall together soon. Feel free to message me if you have any questions!

As of now I am also considering research opps since I have a specific interest or specialty that I would like to explore. Funding is definitely important but I am willing to give a little on that if there is a superb school that I can get my daughter into. Also, schools that are directly part of a medical school/medical environment (for exposure/opportunity/variety) rather than schools who are associated or have contracts with nearby facilities. Ugggg... s much to consider... so little time!

I was wondering with those who have been accepted into programs, how do you find out about the funding available to you? If I end up with my choice of programs, funding is a HUGE factor for me and I want to have the most information I can.

For some schools that will occur with the acceptance letter/packet, others it depends on where you stand in line for funding. If you did not receive any information with the acceptance information, it wouldn't hurt to email your contact at the school.

Oh my GOSH!!! I found out, today, that I got into LSUHSC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is one happy and relieved girl!!!!! :laugh::p

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys, fellow fall 2012 applicant here.

I just wanted to remind you that if you've definitively ruled out one school where you've been accepted, please be kind enough to rescind your application as soon as possible. I'm sure that those who were wait-listed are super anxious waiting to receive that coveted letter of acceptance.

Best of luck to everyone!