Fall 2012 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I completely agree with CarbonCtrl! I've actually selected and notified the program I will be attending in the Fall and the first thing I did was tell all the others that I would not be. Some professors and friends suggested holding onto the others to see what kind of financial aid the would offer, but honestly it just didn't seem right, especially when I was more than satisfied with the one I received.

Can we start a thread soon when people decide where they will be attending?? It'd be fun to see! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I just got done with my interview with Pacific University. I think it went extremely well and I can't wait to hear back from them. They are using a block curriculum design which really appeals to me and I think I would benefit from this model of education. They asked pretty standard interview questions but no strengths/weaknesses question!

What is block curriculum?? Did they ask you about your background in audiology or anything like that??

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I just got done with my interview with Pacific University. I think it went extremely well and I can't wait to hear back from them. They are using a block curriculum design which really appeals to me and I think I would benefit from this model of education. They asked pretty standard interview questions but no strengths/weaknesses question!

Hello EdemaKNN! Were you able to do the interview over the telephone or skype? I recall you mentioning you were hoping to do that. Good to hear you got that done! :) Are you concern about their accreditation process? Do you know how many students they will be accepting?

Just wondering if anybody else is biting their nails waiting to hear back from Vandy? They are the last one I'm waiting on, and I'm going CRACEEE!

I am!! I've been checking my email every two minutes since they said hopefully we'd know something by today. I'm thinking we'll have to wait until next week now! It's the last school I'm waiting to hear from too.

Ugh! It's torture. I emailed the woman mentioned in the email that Ms. Welch said to contact if we hadn't heard anything by the end of the week! I'm doubtful that she'll get back to me today, though.

In the meantime, I've gnawed all of my fingers down to nubs, which is going to make using the audiometer MUCH more tricky. :oops:)

Just got a reply back from Vandy with good news! Hope everyone else hears back soon!

Congrats gonnabeanaud!! I just emailed them so I hope to hear back soon.

What is block curriculum?? Did they ask you about your background in audiology or anything like that??

Block Curriculum is interesting and I would be willing to give it a try. Instead of having all 4-5 classes a semester at the same time, you would focus on one class for 2-3 weeks. Each day of "classes" is for the same class during the block and can include lecture, lab, observations, etc on during each day. At the end of the block there is a final exam which you have to pass in order to move on to the next block. Rinse and repeat until the semester is over in which a comprehensive final is given.

I did get to do my interview via Skype. I was asked why I couldn't attend the on-campus interview day. I was asked some basic questions like why audiology and why this program. Then questions on teamwork, professionalism, and how my undergraduate background (psychology) will benefit me in audiology. I am not too concerned about the accreditation because of the pre-accreditation process required in order to admit students. I hope I hear back soon because I like the prospects of the program for sure.

Has anyone heard from Gallaudet? I think they forgot about me LOL! :laugh: Maybe I should call :confused:

All I want is to come off the waiting list I am on!!! So frustrating!! I just had to vent! :xf: Good luck to anyone still waiting, I feel your pain.

Members don't see this ad :)
I browsed thru the Pacific University's website and i find it interesting that it's a 3 year program. Anyone went to the interview in person that could share their experiences? How many students do they accept? Looks like it'll be a great school when it gets accredited.

I browsed thru the Pacific University's website and i find it interesting that it's a 3 year program. Anyone went to the interview in person that could share their experiences? How many students do they accept? Looks like it'll be a great school when it gets accredited.

Not sure... but I think northwestern is a 3 year program too.

Aside from Pacific University in Oregon, is anyone still waiting to hear their initial decision from any schools? I know the waitlists are the hot topic right now, but is there anyone who hasnt heard anything yet from a particular school... The forum is pretty quiet now! :sleep:

Hey y'all! I'm new to this thread but I am also biting my nails off in anticipation of hearing back from grad schools for fall 2012.

I applied to 5 schools.
KU- not accepted
UT- Dallas- no word back
University of North Texas- no word back
Texas Tech- alternate
Lamar University- waitlisted

His anyone else heard from these schools? I hate being an alternate but at least it's not a definite NO.
So nervous. :/

Hey y'all! I'm new to this thread but I am also biting my nails off in anticipation of hearing back from grad schools for fall 2012.

I applied to 5 schools.
KU- not accepted
UT- Dallas- no word back
Texas Tech- alternate

His anyone else heard from these schools? I hate being an alternate but at least it's not a definite NO.

Hello Odderee!
If you go to " the official 2012 audiology acceptance thread" you will be able to see what schools everyone has already heard back from.. Its very helpful! Best of Luck to you!

I applied to 5 schools.
KU- not accepted
UT- Dallas- no word back
Texas Tech- alternate

I am kinda in the same boat as you! Don't worry though, it will all work out in the end! Is alternate and waitlisted the same but that different schools call it different things? I'm just curious. Good luck to you!!!:xf:

WOOOOOO! sorrry guys but I'm BEYOND excited right now! (If that's even possible lol) I didn't want to post on here until I heard news from the school I applied to, but I received my acceptance to an audiology program today!! :D (I'm Canadian, so considering the fact that there are only 4 schools here, it was such a relief to know I got in!) Now let's just finish this undergrad...hahaha

So I'm feeling kinda bummed, as I got waitlisted at Univ of Washington. Just wondering if anybody else had maybe made their way off the waitlist? I know they don't accept many folks from out of region, but I'm still hoping against hope!

So I'm feeling kinda bummed, as I got waitlisted at Univ of Washington. Just wondering if anybody else had maybe made their way off the waitlist? I know they don't accept many folks from out of region, but I'm still hoping against hope!

Sorry to hear that. I know the feeling.... but its just all part of the process. Be sure to check in with them once in a while if you haven't heard anything to let them know that you are still interested even though waitlisted. Good luck. :xf: for you!!!

I was waitlisted there as well. I e-mailed asking if I could know my position on the waitlist, but did not get a response. I didn't know they accept few people from out of the region. Do you know how few?

I doubt that people have made their way off of waitlists just yet, but I know for a fact that it does happes. I expect that will start after the April 15th date. Schools make waitlists because they have learned in that past that there is a need for one. Not everyone they accept will chose to attend, so they need an alternates list. Schools may have need to use their waitlist well into the summer. For example, if a student accepted to UofW decides to go to UT Dallas, then the spot at UofW is filled with someone who may have planned to go somewhere else, which makes a spot to be filled at that somewhere else.. And so on down the line. So if someone somewhere changes their plans for whatever reason, it could affect a handful of other people and schools. A school wants to fill all of their spots even if someone changes their plans late in the game. If there is an empty spot left empty in their incoming cohort, then it is empty for 4 years; that's 4 years of tuition that the program missed out on, and they don't want that to happen.

So for those of us on waitlists, I think it's good to be realistic, but also to remain hopeful. It's imoprtant to remember that no single school will make or break our future in audiology.

I don't think it hurts to continue to express your interest to programs you are waitlisted at, especially if you are interested in attending.

AuD23 is absolutely correct in saying that if one person declines at say UTD, for say WUSTL, that opens up a spot on the wait list at UTD, assuming UTD doesn't already fill their class with the people they initially accepted. Just because a program has ten-twelve spots, doesn't mean they will only accept ten-twelve people initially. I bet it's more like twenty or so.

I had a classmate from undergrad who got into two top three programs, according to the updated rankings, off the wait list. So if you are on the waitlist, there is always hope :).

Last edited:
Aside from Pacific University in Oregon, is anyone still waiting to hear their initial decision from any schools? I know the waitlists are the hot topic right now, but is there anyone who hasnt heard anything yet from a particular school... The forum is pretty quiet now! :sleep:

I haven't heard from Kent State of Ohio or the Northeast Ohio Audiology Consortium. Pacific told me today that they sent out letters at the beginning of this week. I will be checking my mailbox!

I haven't heard from Kent State of Ohio or the Northeast Ohio Audiology Consortium. Pacific told me today that they sent out letters at the beginning of this week. I will be checking my mailbox!

Best wishes on PU. I'm sure it will be great news. Crazy that you are waiting on two schools. They are making the pins and needles really sting huh! LOL I know this waiting game is horrible but it usually pays off in the end!!!! :luck:

Officially accepted admission at the University of Arkansas, complete with in-state-tuition and a graduate assistantship. :)

So is there a thread where everyone can put what school they accepted their offer to? Or do we post that on this thread as well?

I'm still waiting to hear anything back from UT-Dallas, and I know a few other people here are as well, so I thought I'd share: In an email from the program administrator today (April 17), I was told that their admissions committee is still in the process of reviewing applicants, and that it may still be a couple of weeks before final decisions are made.

I was glad to know that they didn't just forget about me, but it seems like they're not on top of their game. I feel like waiting so long will make them miss a lot of students since people have already had to give their decisions to many programs.

So is there a thread where everyone can put what school they accepted their offer to? Or do we post that on this thread as well?

Not a bad idea. Maybe you could start one? We could get a leg up on meeting future classmates.

I'm still waiting to hear anything back from UT-Dallas, and I know a few other people here are as well, so I thought I'd share: In an email from the program administrator today (April 17), I was told that their admissions committee is still in the process of reviewing applicants, and that it may still be a couple of weeks before final decisions are made.

I was glad to know that they didn't just forget about me, but it seems like they're not on top of their game. I feel like waiting so long will make them miss a lot of students since people have already had to give their decisions to many programs.

Thanks for sharing the info... And I think you're right about them missing out on students.

Cmc, they're talking about a decision thread.

Sent from my DROIDX using SDN Mobile

I always thought it was a bit of an unspoken rule that most people kind of fly under the radar as far as which school they ultimately decide. Something about people in the program ID'ing each other and risking repercussions on some level?

I dunno... People just seem suspicious about things like that around here for some reason.