General Admissions & OTCAS Fall 2016 OT applicant - what are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OTrunnergirl

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a senior at the University of Minnesota Twin Cities and I'm applying to OT schools for Fall 2016 admission!

Child Psychology Major, Neuroscience Minor
Cumulative GPA: 3.298
Major GPA: 3.46
Prereq GPA: 3.23
Last 60 credits (so far): 3.4

GRE scores:
Verbal 144
Quantitative 152
Writing 3.0

Desired schools:
University of Minnesota - Twin Cities
University of Minnesota - Rochester
St. Catherine University (St. Kate's)
St. Scholastica
Chatham University

I have 800+ hours in work-based experience as a PCA, 100+ hours in OT shadowing/volunteering, and leadership experience as an RA in the dorms. I work as a Research Assistant and am trained with HIPAA regulations. I've traveled to China twice as an English teacher, attended a Social Justice Leadership Retreat.

My GPA is definitely lower, but it did increase over time. The credits I took in high school and freshman year brought my GPA down the most. Sophomore year and junior year I had a steady 3.4 and I earned a 3.846 last semester. I took the GRE once and will take it again before I apply in December.

So, what are my chances? Which schools should I also consider?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm from the Midwest and will be attending Chatham this fall, feel free to private message me if you have any questions about the program/Pittsburgh! I check those more frequently and am willing to privately share my stats/school list. :)

I think that you are looking good. Your GPA is slightly below average, but you have so much experience that schools would be silly to not consider you. Apply to D' Youville in Buffalo, NY. Applications are free, and Mrs. Gressley is incredibly sweet and helpful. If you apply early, you'll have a better chance. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm currently a senior at the University of Minnesota Twin Cities and I'm applying to OT schools for Fall 2016 admission!

GRE scores:
Verbal 144
Quantitative 152
Writing 3.0

Desired schools:
St. Scholastica
Chatham University

I have 800+ hours in work-based experience as a PCA, 100+ hours in OT shadowing/volunteering, and leadership experience as an RA in the dorms. I work as a Research Assistant and am trained with HIPAA regulations. I've traveled to China twice as an English teacher, attended a Social Justice Leadership Retreat.

My GPA is definitely lower, but it did increase over time. The credits I took in high school and freshman year brought my GPA down the most. Sophomore year and junior year I had a steady 3.4 and I earned a 3.846 last semester. I took the GRE once and will take it again before I apply in December.

If you like Chatham you should also look at Salus University... and any other schools that require interviews as apart of their application... interviews can really help make you stand out!!!

I'm from the Midwest and will be attending Chatham this fall, feel free to private message me if you have any questions about the program/Pittsburgh! I check those more frequently and am willing to privately share my stats/school list. :)

I have an interview this weekend at Chatham and I was wondering if you had any tips for the interview/writing portion.
Anything would be greatly appreciated!!

Reactions: 1 user
I have an interview this weekend at Chatham and I was wondering if you had any tips for the interview/writing portion.
Anything would be greatly appreciated!!

I have an interview this weekend as well! I found it very useful to google specific questions that will be asked at Chatham's interview. There are so many useful resources on the internet to prepare for a graduate school interview! This is my first time invited to interview (after applying for two application cycles) so I am nervous and excited! I read some forums stating the writing sample is along the lines of critiquing a research study, however there is not way to be sure. I hope that helps a little bit :) good luck, see you Saturday!

GRE scores:
Verbal 144
Quantitative 152
Writing 3.0

Desired schools:
St. Scholastica
Chatham University

Have you heard back from St. Kate's yet? I have no idea when to expect a decision from them

From what I understand, we won't hear back till march :/

Such a bummer, I'm anxious to be able to make a final decision on where I'll be attending, guess we'll have to wait

Has anyone heard back from St. Kates or Springfield College yet? I received an email from both saying we should find out by the end of February

Have you heard back from St. Kate's yet? I have no idea when to expect a decision from them

I heard back from them yesterday, I got in!! It was postmarked the 19th, so they must be starting to send out decisions! Have you heard back yet? I am anxiously awaiting to hear from the U of M now, wish they would send out decisions earlier!

P.S....Goodluck!!

I heard back from them yesterday, I got in!! It was postmarked the 19th, so they must be starting to send out decisions! Have you heard back yet? I am anxiously awaiting to hear from the U of M now, wish they would send out decisions earlier!

P.S....Goodluck!!

I checked the mail and nothing yet! And I agree on the U of M...I am currently accepted at a program that is out of state and starts in May, so it would be nice to hear from them sooner rather than later so I don't have to make moving arrangements last minute! Congratulations by the way!

I checked the mail and nothing yet! And I agree on the U of M...I am currently accepted at a program that is out of state and starts in May, so it would be nice to hear from them sooner rather than later so I don't have to make moving arrangements last minute! Congratulations by the way!
Thank you!

Has anyone heard back from St. Kates or Springfield College yet? I received an email from both saying we should find out by the end of February
When did Springfield tell you that we would hear by the end of February? Did you email to ask them? Just curious, as I haven't heard anything at all from them, not even an email stating they received my application.

When did Springfield tell you that we would hear by the end of February? Did you email to ask them? Just curious, as I haven't heard anything at all from them, not even an email stating they received my application.
They sent me an email in November I believe saying that I made it past the first phase and had to pay 50 dollars to make it to the second and then after I paid it they sent an email saying 6-8 weeks after the 1st of the year we should be hearing back, but I have not yet

I got waitlisted at St. Kate's. Waiting to hear back from U. of Minnesota.