Fall Orals

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sputnik80

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you taking the Fall Oral, are you guys freaking out? I can't believe it has creeped up on me so fast, working so much and of course procrastinating has really taken a toll. I"ve been trying to read Essential Board Review by HO and have practiced a few cases with co workers but still feeling pretty dumb like I don't know anything lol. Also taking a Jensen review course next month only b/c its in my hometown, so hoping that helps/motivates me a lot. HOw are you guys feeling? Sorry to rant:)

Members don't see this ad.

do one case a day more on the weekends with someone else. it can be done.

For those of you taking the Fall Oral, are you guys freaking out? I can't believe it has creeped up on me so fast, working so much and of course procrastinating has really taken a toll. I"ve been trying to read Essential Board Review by HO and have practiced a few cases with co workers but still feeling pretty dumb like I don't know anything lol. Also taking a Jensen review course next month only b/c its in my hometown, so hoping that helps/motivates me a lot. HOw are you guys feeling? Sorry to rant:)

Every case you do every day is a practice for the Orals. That's all it is, talking about patient care on complicated cases. You do it everyday.

Members don't see this ad :)

Read 90% of the HO book and retained somewhere between 2-5%.

Read 80% of the coexisting disease handbook which I thought was fairly useless.

Currently reading Knock Out book and it seems pretty decent.

Overall I feel less than confident. I just started a busy pain practice and have no one to practice with. Also haven't done a case for a long time. Wish me luck because Im going to need it.

Overall I feel less than confident. I just started a busy pain practice and have no one to practice with. Also haven't done a case for a long time. Wish me luck because Im going to need it.

You don't need another anesthesiologist to practice with. The only anesthesiologists I practiced with were at Ho's course, and that was mostly useful because it was a few solid days of talking. You can have someone (anyone) read a script of case questions at you. The practice speaking aloud is worthwhile no matter who's listening ... and anyone will be able to tell when you start BS'ing an answer you don't know.

I think reading is not good practice for orals, unless your knowledge base was shaky to start. Talk.

There are many very predictable questions. Everything from handling desaturation, to doing an awake intubation, to approaching a bleeding tonsil, to oliguria, to a seizing eclamptic patient ... you know what to do for these. Actually saying what you'd do in a way that sounds confident, fluid, and organized is the hard part. For that you have to talk. You don't need a practice partner to tell the wall how you'd induce someone with a mediastinal mass. Practice speaking these scenarios (and others) until you sound good.

You know ACLS cold (I hope :)). But if the examiner tells you your patient is in vfib and that's the first time you SPEAK out loud exactly what you'd do, you're boned, because you'll sound like a disorganized uncertain disoriented fool.

You don't need another anesthesiologist to practice with. The only anesthesiologists I practiced with were at Ho's course, and that was mostly useful because it was a few solid days of talking. You can have someone (anyone) read a script of case questions at you. The practice speaking aloud is worthwhile no matter who's listening ... and anyone will be able to tell when you start BS'ing an answer you don't know.

I think reading is not good practice for orals, unless your knowledge base was shaky to start. Talk.

There are many very predictable questions. Everything from handling desaturation, to doing an awake intubation, to approaching a bleeding tonsil, to oliguria, to a seizing eclamptic patient ... you know what to do for these. Actually saying what you'd do in a way that sounds confident, fluid, and organized is the hard part. For that you have to talk. You don't need a practice partner to tell the wall how you'd induce someone with a mediastinal mass. Practice speaking these scenarios (and others) until you sound good.

You know ACLS cold (I hope :)). But if the examiner tells you your patient is in vfib and that's the first time you SPEAK out loud exactly what you'd do, you're boned, because you'll sound like a disorganized uncertain disoriented fool.

Any recommendation on where to get a script of questions? All I have are the questions at the end of the HO chapters.

- Board Stiff 3: Seems like everybody says to read it. I did and thought it was ok but definitely not enough info for the orals. What I did like was his outlook on difficult cases. I would find myself trying to make a refined plan out of a crappy case. He kind of presents it like "this case is a train wreck, there is no perfect answer but I'm going to do X-Y-and-Z and do the best I can". Gets you thinking a little more realistically.

- The Ultimate Board Prep: This was the very best resource that I bought. Four volumes each with I think 10 cases and 10 grab-bag scenarios. Very detailed answers (some I didn't agree with) and by the end you cover a lot of material. I did the cases by my self and did a lot of talking out loud.

- Anesthesiology Oral Board Flash Cards: set of nice laminated cards. Went through them once. They're decent and you can cover a lot of pathology in a short time.

- Anesthesia Oral Board Review: a nice book but kinda tedious to go through.

- Board Stiff 3: Seems like everybody says to read it. I did and thought it was ok but definitely not enough info for the orals. What I did like was his outlook on difficult cases. I would find myself trying to make a refined plan out of a crappy case. He kind of presents it like "this case is a train wreck, there is no perfect answer but I'm going to do X-Y-and-Z and do the best I can". Gets you thinking a little more realistically.

- The Ultimate Board Prep: This was the very best resource that I bought. Four volumes each with I think 10 cases and 10 grab-bag scenarios. Very detailed answers (some I didn't agree with) and by the end you cover a lot of material. I did the cases by my self and did a lot of talking out loud.

- Anesthesiology Oral Board Flash Cards: set of nice laminated cards. Went through them once. They're decent and you can cover a lot of pathology in a short time.

- Anesthesia Oral Board Review: a nice book but kinda tedious to go through.

If anyone has the ultimate board prep which they are done with, I would be happy to purchase it from you. Let me know. Thanks.

You can buy them online. If you really want a discount for whatever reason, talk to them directly. They are some of the nicest people I have ever met.

I'm not pimping for the Ho. I took the crash 4-day, and paid for 2 extra exams each of the 4 days. I felt that was the most beneficial part of the course. Watching other candidates do the public exams made me aware of words, phrases, and mannerisms that would po the examiners. I think he's done a good job of predicting cases and questions that show up on the orals. I know people get po'd about Ho, I'm just reporting my own experience, and I believe the practice exams and course helped me pass in April.

Has anyone here taken Ultimate Board Prep course? 2 day vs. 4 day. Worth it?

Seems like everyone takes Ho's course, but most say only the practice portion was worth it.

Doing questions with someone and speaking out loud is the best. Many of those who are smart and know their stuff fail because they can not verbalize the answers. Furthermore, the questions come at you fast and you don't have a lot of time to answer.

Some of those taking the boards at my place are using Anesthesia 101 which is rumored to have been written by an examiner as a question-answer style resource. Do to its structure, it has served many as an excellent review for the Boards.

Any recommendation on where to get a script of questions? All I have are the questions at the end of the HO chapters.

There are some practice exams in the Board Stiff books, I think.

Ho emails out a series of practice exams to students in his course. I saved them but can't find them at the moment, so I don't know if there's any copyright / don't redistribute issue with them. But he emailed them out so I'd guess he doesn't care about people forwarding them.

Yao & Artusio is laid out in kind of a Q&A format. Good enough for someone to read questions at you, anyway.

Everyone has a different recipe for the orals. My recipe consisted of Board Stiff 3, pracetice and the hand book to Anesthesia and Co-existing Disease. Yao is way to much. Practice is the key to cracking the orals.

Cambie
ps.
I know more about the orals than I want to admit.