Fall semester is over.... Please rate my semester

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GlobalDomination

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey my fellow SDNe. My first semester is finally over and I will have a 3.8 GPA (13 credits). Can you guys rate my performance so far. I'm currently pre-med, but I am still uncertain about my true passions.

Fall 1st Sem. GPA: 3.8 (13 credits)
ECs:
Got involved in research in medicinal chemistry (PI is trying to get funding towards my own research for summer)
Weekly volunteer at the hospital
Got a assistant director position in Area government (focused on community service)
Leadership position in Students without Boarders.

Also, Here is my 2nd semester schedule (18 cred):
Biology 1 w/Lab
Chemistry 2 w/lab
Calculus 2
Medical elective
Theater Appreciation

What do you guys think about my first semester? Any suggesting etc? Might join an intramural sport later on like fencing.

Members don't see this ad.

Outstanding. Now keep these activities up for a prolonged period of time. Unless your grades begin to slip.
It's better to have 1 or 2 long term activities than to incorporate a plethora of short-term activities, while your GPA drops.

Sports are wonderful. It's vital (no pun intended) to demonstrate that you have interests outside of medicine and science, as well.

Reactions: 1 user
Great first semester in both academics and extra curriculars. Keep up the good work, but make sure you don't burn yourself out with all of your activities. You are on the right track!

Members don't see this ad :)
ummm, do you really need validation to do something fun in college like play a sport?

Nearly worth two dancing bananas, but your lack of shadowing drops your score to four beavers. :beaver::beaver::beaver::beaver:

Reactions: 2 users
I'd rate it about, ohhh idk....maybe a 3.8

Maybe increase your weekly extracurricular activities (volunteering, research and shadowing).

Last edited:
Captain Obvious, we need more useful info than that.

13 credits is kinda light to be honest...

but OP, aside from my cynical answer above... You're on a message board looking for validation of your academic credentials and activities. with a perfectly fine GPA. Seriously?

Did you have fun the first semester? Have you made friends? Are you adjusting to what is (likely) your first time living permanently away from home? Are you picking your activities because you want them on your future academic applications or are you doing things because you LIKE them? Are you taking care of yourself physically and mentally? Is playing that sport next semester going to require an investment of your time to an extent that you're worried about not having enough time? (and if the answer is "yes" then you need to re-examine your priorities).

I'm being blunt and brutal here, but none of what you posted above (aside from the GPA) matters unless you're answering "yes" to the question of "am I enjoying college for reasons that will never matter on an application or essay?"

...a good first semester CV is fine and all but I'd prefer not to have to read another "I hate my pre-med life" 4 semesters from now.

Reactions: 1 users
13 credits is kinda light to be honest...

but OP, aside from my cynical answer above... You're on a message board looking for validation of your academic credentials and activities. with a perfectly fine GPA. Seriously?

Did you have fun the first semester? Have you made friends? Are you adjusting to what is (likely) your first time living permanently away from home? Are you picking your activities because you want them on your future academic applications or are you doing things because you LIKE them? Are you taking care of yourself physically and mentally? Is playing that sport next semester going to require an investment of your time to an extent that you're worried about not having enough time? (and if the answer is "yes" then you need to re-examine your priorities).

I'm being blunt and brutal here, but none of what you posted above (aside from the GPA) matters unless you're answering "yes" to the question of "am I enjoying college for reasons that will never matter on an application or essay?"

...a good first semester CV is fine and all but I'd prefer not to have to read another "I hate my pre-med life" 4 semesters from now.
I did have a lot of fun this semester. I had more time to meet new friends and do other things with my light coursework. Thanks for your input. I will have to think about fencing and see how it would affect my academic performance.

As for everyone else, I do want to shadow a physician possibly in the summer. Any tips or suggestions as to how I should do this? Are doctors looking for students with previous knowledge on their practice or what?

I did have a lot of fun this semester. I had more time to meet new friends and do other things with my light coursework. Thanks for your input. I will have to think about fencing and see how it would affect my academic performance.

As for everyone else, I do want to shadow a physician possibly in the summer. Any tips or suggestions as to how I should do this? Are doctors looking for students with previous knowledge on their practice or what?

Try for any physicians you know first. Your primary care doc, any doc that takes care of you, family friends who are docs etc, maybe faculty at your university if there happen to be practicing clinicians. As for the actual shadowing my advice is pretty simple: Get there when the doctor gets there, leave when the doctor leaves. Listen more than you speak. Be nice to patients but don't be in the way.

not a 4.0? i think you know the rating ....

You're uncertain about your true passions? Try knitting.