Family and HPSP or UHUHS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gigidiamond

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, new to the forum, so if there's already a thread pertaining to my question, please let me know!

I'm finishing up my first year at college at 22 yo, on a pre-med track. I was an enlisted military wife (Marines) for 4 years, so in general I'm familiar with certain aspects of the military life. I'm now going through a divorce and will be a single parent of two with little to no support from him. However, I decided to not let the situation get in the way of my dream of becoming a doctor (at this point, I'm unsure what specialty I would like to pursue), and I've been doing a lot of research into various medical schools and scholarships and whatnot. Before I became pregnant so young, I had intended on joining the military in some capacity, so I feel like this would be a "happy medium," so to speak. I was wondering if anyone had any advice/experience to share with the pros and cons of each option.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

At one time the military was not accepting single custodial parents. I'm not sure if this is still the case, but it is something you should look in to before getting your heart set on the military.

OP, my response really isn't military medicine specific but I do want to let you know that you can become a doctor, it has been done before, and that you don't have to take poop from the multitudes of people that will be telling you "it can't be done". But the road you're traveling on will be a long and difficult...

http://abcnews.go.com/US/time-teen-mother-er-doctor/story?id=16636350

Members don't see this ad :)
Do well in undergrad. Get into medical school. Ask the same question once you've made it into medical school. There are just too many variables now to give you any kind of practical advise at the start of your undergraduate studies.

Do well in undergrad. Get into medical school. Ask the same question once you've made it into medical school. There are just too many variables now to give you any kind of practical advise at the start of your undergraduate studies.

There is at least one, maybe more, single mom(s) at USUHS right now. If you were dead set on military then USUHS may be the better option as being on active duty you would have full health insurance for you and your children. There is also a day care available for students with kids as far as I know.

Reactions: 1 user
Being a military physician is difficult enough as it is. Being a single mother is going to be incredibly difficult for you.

You are going to need a nanny or family member to take care of the children. Daycare may work for the first two years...but when you get on 3rd/4th year rotations you will be working unpredictable hours and you really need 24hr care for your children. That is going to be just about impossible unless you have a good support staff.

Cooperd0g did make a VERY good point about health insurance for your children. USUHS would definitely give you more benefits in regard to pay, childcare through the CDC, and health insurance. But at the same time you will be pegging yourself into a longer commitment which I don't believe is smart in your situation. You are going to want as much flexibility as possible.

I completely understand not wanting to give up on a dream...but you are a mother and have to also consider if you are doing the responsible thing for your children. If you don't have an excellent fail-proof childcare plan...it will be a huge distraction for you in medical school...and you will likely do poorly.

I think that "get into med school then think about it" is a bad plan. You need not think about these things now before you invest the time and money in applying.

Good luck!

We had a single mom in med school who did fine and is a fine physician. It is hard but doable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, first you need to understand the biases that temper our enthusiasm for you. Very few freshman premeds become physicians. Depending on the study, somewhere between 12 to 35% of college freshmen have similar aspirations. From that population of ~ 1 million about 20k will matriculate to an allopathic medical school.

All of us remember a single mom or two but the exception proves the rule, this is a tough road. Your main advantage will be that you will treat undergrad like a job. Your main disadvantage will be time.

Don't worry about the military or even medicine yet. Focus on getting As and being mom. That's more than most could do (or I could have done back then).

If premed doesn't work out, there's no shame in that. Nursing is a much more flexible and family friendly career path (shift work, much shorter pipeline, can be an NP down the road when your kids are in school). Not telling you to dump your dreams but take a hard look at yourself after a year or two.