Family death...Poor grades...stressing....what do I do ....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

meddymaxi

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, so Freshman year in college i didn't do so well due to my own lazy mistakes and thought I could kick ass this year (Sophomore year) except that my father passed away this past summer before I started school. Long story short, I thought I'd be okay to continue school only to find myself in this huge dump. I was granted in completes for 3 of my classes fall quarter and failed horribly this past winter quarter. I really should've took the quarter off but I really thought I could do it......so now that what's done is done I need advice...... I'm going to talk to an advisor at school but I want as much advice as possible. I really really want to pursue this dream of mine and will do anything I can at this point to make sure I do.

Freshman:
2 Bio courses: C+, C+
3 Gen Chem courses: B-, C, C
1 Gen Chem Lab: B-

Sophomore:
Biochem: D
O-chem: D
2 Chem labs: B, B-
(Need to complete a Bio course in which I believe a B is possible and O-chem class in which a B may be possible as well)

Right now I'm at a 2.4 gpa very low yes even though the Incompletes affect it even with Bs in those classes it is still low I know.....

My main concern is those Ds and Cs..... I've never gotten a D ever so I'm pretty freaked out. I know I must retake them of course but I need genuine advice please..

Members don't see this ad.

I agree with @Goro . I wouldn't suggest stressing yourself and risking more low grades due to the amount of grief that has struck you. I know you probably want this so much, but you come first. Take care of yourself, and everything else will follow. I am so sorry for your loss.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've realized that and wish I could've took off last quarter to avoid those Ds and I'm thinking if I can take some time off I can spend that time volunteering and whatnot.
Thank you.

But any advice on where I am right now? I know it's not good but is it really really bad? Or is there some hope? Thanks in advance.

I've realized that and wish I could've took off last quarter to avoid those Ds and I'm thinking if I can take some time off I can spend that time volunteering and whatnot.
Thank you.

But any advice on where I am right now? I know it's not good but is it really really bad? Or is there some hope? Thanks in advance.
Of course there is hope. Just make sure to retake some of those courses to increase your gpa. As long as there a upward trend from now on you shall be fine.

Yes there is hope, but I'm going to be very honest with you. It is really bad. My advice would be to immediately arrange to take a break from school. Try to get grade withdraws for this semester as well to stop having the grades being factored into your GPA. You should seek full professional counseling also.

I would devote a full year or two to concentrate on recovering. Try to not put too much pressure on yourself, maybe find part-time work if you can handle it. DO some shadowing and volunteer work while you are out of school. They are not very stressful and you can still be building your resume somewhat.

Because of the GPA damage, you should accept that you will have to protract your plans for getting into medical school. Not only that, applying to medical school is a bad state is not going to end well. Additionally, the closer you apply to a "bad" period of grades or unusual circumstances, the more schools are going to question the strength of your candidacy. This means your timeline is going to be much longer than a typical applicant.

Again, yes there is hope. Take a break, recover, resume school. Come back stable, focused, and stronger than before. Destroy the MCAT with a vengeance and ace your classes. Do not apply to medical school out of undergrad. Seek to enter the best Masters (NOT SMP) program at the most competitive institution you can. Ace all of those classes, and be doing research while completing your degree. Network always. Make friends. Reapply to medical school.

You will have a different story, and a great track record that will put to ease concerns of past academic troubles.

If you want more advice in the future, feel free to PM me. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
I know multiple people who have had entire quarters stricken from their records due to mental health problems and subsequent bad grades. They just needed to go talk with the advisors and the deans office and have a doctor sign off on it.

My roommate freshman year's father passed away during our second semester. He finished freshman year with a 2.3 because he failed every single class second semester. After talking it over with counselors, he decided to do a peace corps-type program in Tanzania for a year to clear his head, have some solitude, and reflect upon his past and future.

He came back really radiant, happy, and motivated. We're about to graduate this may, and he's gotten a 4.0 every single semester since he's been back. He's a year behind me in graduation, but he just got his MCAT score back...36! Sick! I'm confident he will be accepted somewhere.

Maybe pause for a year and think about your past, your future, and your goals. You need time to reflect. Don't let people think you are weak for that.

That is a great comeback story. But keep in mind those 4.0s will be averaged with the failed classes and 2.3 GPA. That essentially destroys the cumulative GPA for applying to medical school. OP will not be doing him/herself any favors by applying out of undergrad even with 4.0s hereafter.

My roommate freshman year's father passed away during our second semester. He finished freshman year with a 2.3 because he failed every single class second semester. After talking it over with counselors, he decided to do a peace corps-type program in Tanzania for a year to clear his head, have some solitude, and reflect upon his past and future.

He came back really radiant, happy, and motivated. We're about to graduate this may, and he's gotten a 4.0 every single semester since he's been back. He's a year behind me in graduation, but he just got his MCAT score back...36! Sick! I'm confident he will be accepted somewhere.

Maybe pause for a year and think about your past, your future, and your goals. You need time to reflect. Don't let people think you are weak for that.

Like others have said, take a break from school. Then come back and do well in your classes, even retake those you got a C or worse in and go DO. Not the end of the world.

Last edited:
That is a great comeback story. But keep in mind those 4.0s will be averaged with the failed classes and 2.3 GPA. That essentially destroys the cumulative GPA for applying to medical school. OP will not be doing him/herself any favors by applying out of undergrad even with 4.0s hereafter.
Right..in my roomie's case, he'll be at a 3.6 after finishing next year, if he continues his straight a streak. So I think he's all right.

To OP, I would advise taking time, returning to graduate strong, kill the MCAT, enroll in an SMP if your cGPA is below a 3.4, and I still think you'll be ok.