Family, debt and school decisions . . .

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ammonihah99

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So here's my situation: I live in AZ, I am 29, I am married, I have 4.5 kids, I work full-time, I go to school full-time and I have recently decided to become a DPT. If I was younger and single or even married with no kids, this would not be as difficult a decision. My problem is how to go to school and take care of my family while incurring as little debt as possible.

The plan originally (Plan A) was to finish at MCC, transfer to ASU (while working at ASU by hook or by crook for the subsidized tuition rate), get my degree in kinesiology, quit working, move the family to Northern Arizona University and get my DPT. All while incurring a lot of debt, even at NAU's very cheap tuition rate, because of my large family. Even if my wife were to work full time, it would be expensive.

After doing some more research, we decided maybe (Plan B) I should do MCC, ASU, then apply to Army-Baylor, take the debt out of the equation, but serve an extra 4 years. The problem is that by the time I would be done my oldest (she's 7 now) would be 17 or 18! I'm just not sure I want to wait that long or put my kids through that instability.

Then I discovered (Plan C) that Gateway Community College has a PTA program that I could finish in less than two years. I know it's not a stepping stone to DPT, but it pays decent (more than I make now), and it would look really good on an application to graduate school. The problem is that I would basically have to start school all over again because, with very few exceptions, NONE of the NAU DPT or ASU Kinesiology BS pre-reqs are covered in the PTA program, so I would have to start all over again. Only with a bit more money in my pocket and a much better graduate school application. The reason I'm even including Plan C is because I work full-time and along with school and family, volunteering for hours or shadowing will prove difficult. If I were to get a job as a PTA, I could create a relationship with my supervising DPT, easily get a LOR, get tons of hours, all while making a decent living for my family. During this time, I could take a break from school and my wife could get her masters degree she's been wanting to get. Then when she's done, we could switch back and I could choose Plan A or Plan B.

So there it is. Anyone have any advice? How many folks here have attempted this kind of school with a family in tow? Am I being realistic or sensible in avoiding student loans as much as possible? Anyone ever try PTA ---> DPT?

Ughhhh! Decisions!

Members don't see this ad.

Here is my opinion....

At your age, I would go with Plan B and try to get in the Army Baylor program. They pay you approx $40,000 a year while you are in the program (from what I have been able to find), you and your family will have healthcare, and the 3 years of school counts towards your 7 year obligation.

Also, from what I have read, you will receive some of the best DPT training available with the autonomy to do some things that civilian PT's cannot. Your oldest kid is going to be the same age in 8-10 years no matter what you do, so why not go to a school that, not only is free, but also pays you and gives you great training.

Good luck!

John does make a good point. Time will pass regardless, but I understand your reservations about going through all of that.

I know of one person who was a PTA and then transferred to DPT through a program in Ohio.

I have a feeling (and I don't really know all that much about the profession) that PTAs will become more and more patient oriented as DPTs are required to do more and more paperwork.

Depending on where you get a job some PTAs act as DPTs. They do everything themselves (other than the initial diagnosis/starting treatment plan). You may be just as happy if you were in the right place.

Definitely a hard choice as you have an entire family, but I'm sure that they will support you in whatever you do!!

Members don't see this ad :)
This isn't meant to be snarky... but how do you have 4.5 kids?

Things to consider:
1. Are you a member of the military now? If not, obviously you will have to become a commisioned officer in one of the armed forces - see this web site - http://www.baylor.edu/graduate/pt/index.php?id=27028
2. Do you want to uproot the family multiple times? You'll not only be moving them to Baylor, but then also to where ever you are deployed to. If you talk to some military PTs, they have had to move several times during their post-graduation committment.
3. You state that a PTA degree would look good on a grad school application. This is supposition. If I were you, I would call the school I was interested in and determine if they would truly view this as a positive or would you be better served to have fantastic pre-requisite grades, GRE scores, etc. My guess would be the latter.
4. What area do you evenutally want to practice in? PTAs are often utilized more frequently in skilled nursing facilities and in acute care hospitals and less often in outpatient orthopaedics.

Things to consider:
1. Are you a member of the military now? If not, obviously you will have to become a commisioned officer in one of the armed forces - see this web site - http://www.baylor.edu/graduate/pt/index.php?id=27028
2. Do you want to uproot the family multiple times? You'll not only be moving them to Baylor, but then also to where ever you are deployed to. If you talk to some military PTs, they have had to move several times during their post-graduation committment.
3. You state that a PTA degree would look good on a grad school application. This is supposition. If I were you, I would call the school I was interested in and determine if they would truly view this as a positive or would you be better served to have fantastic pre-requisite grades, GRE scores, etc. My guess would be the latter.
4. What area do you evenutally want to practice in? PTAs are often utilized more frequently in skilled nursing facilities and in acute care hospitals and less often in outpatient orthopaedics.

Being a commissioned officer is not a prerequisite, nor is being in the military. You become a commissioned officer after graduation from the program.

From the Baylor site: "Must Be a United States citizen. Service in the U.S. military is not an eligibility requirement for application to the program", also (and this is what sells me on the program, but due to medical reasons I am not eligible): "You will receive a free education. Tuition and fees are paid by the uniformed services. In addition, we pay YOU! You will be paid to go to school! Students receive an average starting salary of approximately $41,000 per year while in school. You will also receive complete medical and dental coverage (FREE!!!). You start accruing 30 days of paid vacation per year beginning on the first day of the program. You will serve as a commissioned officer and physical therapist in the uniformed services upon graduation.".....I just wanted to post this so that the OP would not be thinking he had to become a commissioned officer prior to getting into the program.

If I did not have a disqualifying condition, I would jump in that program in a heartbeat even at 45 years old. Free education, PLUS getting $41,000 a year while in school, PLUS free healthcare and dental for the family......It's a no-brainer, in my opinion for anyone wanting to be a PT who is not adverse to moving a bit.

Make sure you do plenty of research and know exactly what you are getting into before you make the decision. Coming from someone that was active duty military for 4 years, military life is not the easiest...and I was single while I was in. Married with kids can only be tougher. But you definitely can't beat the benefits and the free education. Just make sure that it's the right decision for you and you will be just fine.

What is your wife's input on all of this? Is there an option she favors more than another?

The decision is a tough one, but I have to agree with what John mentioned above ^ However, if you're content with starting from scratch and the role of becoming a PTA, I think that's an excellent option as well.

If it provides any comfort to you, I have a classmate who is 31, married, 4 kids, and a 5th one on the way. He was a financial loan officer and one day decided the profession wasn't for him and wanted to pursue PT. He isn't working in the program, his wife picks up some hours here and there. But, they are making it work...and he couldn't be happier with where he is right now. I'm sure that with whatever you decide, you'll make it work :)