Family Friendly and Good Cost of Living

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrVanNostran

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any input on former applicants on what programs they thought were in family friendly cities with good costs of living? When I go through my list of programs, applying to UCLA, USC, MSSM, etc seem a bit futile given that that I am not sure if the location is a good fit for me since I am on a resident salary with kids.

My thoughts on programs in family friendly cities with a good COL:
- UC Davis
- University of Arizona
- Mayo-Az
- Wash U
- MDACC
- Baylor
- UTSW
- UAB
- Wisconsin
- Mayo MN
- Minnesota
- OSU
- Cleveland clinic
- Iowa
- Vanderbilt
- Wake
- Duke
- Dartmouth
- Moffitt
- Mayo Jax
-? Yale-not sure if new haven is safe....
- Emory--not sure about COL in ATL
- Wayne State
- Michigan
- UPMC

Any thought or recommendations are helpful! I hope this thread is useful to other parents applying out there!

Members don't see this ad.

Big public institutions generally will fit the bill. A few more I can think of that are strong in various areas of HONC:

Kansas
Indiana
Colorado
UNC
Nebraska

Big public institutions generally will fit the bill. A few more I can think of that are strong in various areas of HONC:

Kansas
Indiana
Colorado
UNC
Nebraska

I just looked up Aurora, CO. I'm pretty surprised at the cost of living and square footage you get. My wife already axed kansas and nebraska lol. But She did give me the thumbs up for Iowa lol

Members don't see this ad :)
I lived in ATL during med school and paid <$800 for a large 1-BR apartment. It's pretty inexpensive compared to most places (NYC where I currenty reside and am sinking further into this quicksand of debt) although I did not live in the heart of ATL, but still pretty good.

I am a medical student in Pittsburgh.

You are 100% correct about UPMC in regards to family friendly city and good cost of living.

Before medical school, I purchased a home in the suburbs for ~55k. Brick, attached garage, 3BR, deck, yard, private school one block away. Prices this low, no mortgage necessary depending on your savings.

Drawback is that it is ~30 minutes from Prezby/VA/Montefiore/Shadyside/Mercy/etc (maybe 20 minutes if you travel when there is zero traffic). There is certainly a surplus of housing closer to the "heart" of UPMC -- however, as you get closer, the neighborhoods get more "hit or miss" in regards to safety, crime, aesthetics, noise, and whatnot.

If you want the nice neighborhoods closer to these hospitals, you are looking at a home price way way above 50k -- easily 200k+.

If you are looking to rent, then naturally there is the full range from cheap studios to luxury 4-5 BR's.

Overall, Pittsburgh has a good rep for family events, festivals, shows, arts, sports, parks, etc. COL is pretty good, groceries are super cheap at Bottom Dollar (sells actual brands, not generic food items). Cheap at Giant Eagle. More expensive at Trader Joe's. Even more expensive at Whole Foods. Gas is much cheaper than I have seen in other cities such as Chicago. Utilities aren't bad either. Cable/Internet is likely the same monopoly-esque competition as the rest of the US, you have two options essentially: Comcast or Verizon.

I wouldn't have any reservations about bringing my family to Pittsburgh (of course, somewhat biased perhaps as I'm already here).

I can't speak for the Heme/Onc programs in Pittsburgh (UPMC/Allegheny), given my lack of experience.

But, if you value a family-friendly city and good COL, Pittsburgh should definitely be considered.

If you have any questions about the city or region, please let me know!

Thanks for this post! I was wondering, could you name a few of the nicer/affordable suburbs? Safety/family friendly are numero uno in my concerns.

Hi everyone, I am a single Mom and I am thinking of going to Hem/onc fellowship at UMN, Minneapolis, Minnesota. I was wondering if anyone has information on the ability to find good nannies and if it will be affordable given that I will be getting a fellows salary? Are there good schools and daycares too? Thank you in advance

Hi everyone, I am a single Mom and I am thinking of going to Hem/onc fellowship at UMN, Minneapolis, Minnesota. I was wondering if anyone has information on the ability to find good nannies and if it will be affordable given that I will be getting a fellows salary? Are there good schools and daycares too? Thank you in advance

I would call gme or hr and ask I they have on site day care. Also some va hospitals have it also if you are their employee. If they do have it, ask for the wait list time.