family friendly neurology residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

piamater

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I am planning to do my residency in either neurology or child neurology. I have a PhD and am a pretty competitive candidate. I also have a small daughter I would like to see occasionally and a husband I'd like to keep. While I'd love to go to a quality program, I am more interested in finding a program with as few hours as possible.

I know UCSF has flexible residencies, but it seems that those just give you chunks of time off, instead of just spending a liveable amount of time in the hospital every day. Does anyone know of any other flexible residencies for neuro?

Can anyone recommend family-friendly programs? Programs with low hours?

Much appreciated! :)

Members don't see this ad.

UTMB-Galveston. I felt it was an extremely family friendly environment and very laid-back (not sure about the hours). Do you have a preference of where do you want to live and how much are you willing to sacrifice on the quality of training?

I do have preferences -- we'd love to be either in Chicago or Washington state -- but lifestyle is really more important right now.

Thanks for the tip. I'll look into Galveston.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've read on this forum that Miami is family friendly as well as a strong academic program.

I was wondering what you have heard about audition rotations and which programs 'require' them. I'm looking into away rotations, but with my husband as chief resident and an infant at home I'm hesitant to leave for a whole month.

I haven't heard anything about away rotation requirements. If I had to do one, I would take the baby and husband with me. How old is your infant? What are you planning to do for residency?

Does anyone know about the average hours-per-week at Northwestern, UIC, Loyola or Rush?

Of the places that i interviewed at, Vanderbilt and WashU stood out as very family friendly

Does anyone know about the average hours-per-week at Northwestern, UIC, Loyola or Rush?

I interviewed at all of them and each program had some married people but I don't recall anyone having a child. NW and Rush seemed super busy for PGY2 (but I think every program is that way). Since I don't have a family or child I did not ask any specific questions regarding those.

University of Iowa had a couple of married guys with children and they said it was alright.

Hi! I am planning to do my residency in either neurology or child neurology. I have a PhD and am a pretty competitive candidate. I also have a small daughter I would like to see occasionally and a husband I'd like to keep. While I'd love to go to a quality program, I am more interested in finding a program with as few hours as possible.

I know UCSF has flexible residencies, but it seems that those just give you chunks of time off, instead of just spending a liveable amount of time in the hospital every day. Does anyone know of any other flexible residencies for neuro?

Can anyone recommend family-friendly programs? Programs with low hours?

Much appreciated! :)

Seriously? Noone mentioned Utah?? I don't think alot of the residents had 'families' but are definitely headed in that direction. And it's a great program, I have nothing but good things to say about it. I'm sure they'd be flexible and understanding.

well first off, it's Neurology residency and not General Surgery so almost all programs are on the better end of family friendliness. I agree with that was said about NW and Rush, I interviewed at both and intern year is rough (no getting around that anywhere IMO), they are front-loaded workwise so most work happens in PGY-2 with lots of elective time you can use for research in PGY-3 and PGY-4 and more home call than someone in IM is getting. Also, both programs are night float. In general, bigger programs that can go to night float to comply with ACGME hour requirements have, some smaller places are trying different methods, so keep that in mind.