Family med or Internal med and 1 yr EM fellowship a good plan B?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

acesup

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So if I don't match in EM is Family med or Internal med residency and 1 yr EM fellowship a good plan B? Can I get an EM job in an urban area, or am I limited to hospitals in middle of nowhere Kansas.

Members don't see this ad.

Search this forum and you'll find tons of threads on this.

Punchline is that you'll have less applicable training and limited job opportunities (and they won't be in major areas).

Members don't see this ad :)
You'll be limited

Agree. Also, to take a non-accredited EM "fellowship" and still not get ABEM certified doesn't get you any further than just being IM or FP boarded. You can work in a few under served EDs with that alone. ABEM certification is the bar you have to get over; nothing else. Why waste your time with a non-accredited EM "fellowship"? If you hope to work EM full-time, do an EM residency. If you don't do an EM residency, don't count on ever being a "full citizen" in the EM community. Not that you won't be able to fill in here or there, because you will, but you'll never be on equal footing. Right or wrong, that's the way it is, and will be.

copied from a prior post on this topic

"You should understand that those of us that did a residency in EM and are board certified in the field find this analogous to us saying:

"I know how to manage airways and sedate patients, can I just do a 1 year anesthesia fellowship and be a practicing anesthesiologist?"

"I do a lot of procedures, can I do a 1 year general surgery fellowship and be a surgeon?"

"I know how to do deliveries and know a lot about womens' health, can I do a 1 year Ob fellowship and practice?"

This kind of thing might fly in the developing world and where there is no doctor. For the developed world, if you care enough about your patients to be good at your specialty - do a residency in it."

If I went the FP or IM route I would skip the fellowship and try to start moonlighting in EM early in my FPor IM residency. Also, I'd try to find a program that allowed me to rotate in the ED and and actually see patients. I've heard of residents that rotate in the ED and basically shadow which is not going to help you. FP puts you closer to EM, but IM gives you more options and I'd rather go the more options route.

1. you may find that you actually don't like EM.
2. I'm not sure how much that fellowship is worth but experience in working in EDs is definitely a plus.
3. You'll still be limited.
4. Do all you can to match in an EM program the first cycle.
5. When you go another residency to work in EM you put yourself in a godawful career path as you have no idea when some "freshly minted EM guy" might replace you.

Good luck defending a court case of a dead child as a board-certified internist.

Thanks for the input, hopefully I get an EM residency.