Family Medicine Boards now testing most up to date material!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedicineMan99

Family Medicine Attending (DO)
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
After much research, I found out (directly from the ABFM) that the Family Medicine Boards now test the most up to date material. No more "Oh that won't be on the test because it's too new of a guideline." Now, I think they will end up throwing most of these questions out, but still it has me concerned. This is mostly because I am using the AAFP board review lectures and all of the in-training exams to study. And none of these sources are entirely up to date with changes today. So, I feel like we're on our own for areas like the DSM-5, immunizations, JNC-8, cholesterol guideline changes, and new changes in ICD-10 coding.

How are you guys studying for the most up to date things? Do you have any input?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

After much research, I found out (directly from the ABFM) that the Family Medicine Boards now test the most up to date material. No more "Oh that won't be on the test because it's too new of a guideline." Now, I think they will end up throwing most of these questions out, but still it has me concerned. This is mostly because I am using the AAFP board review lectures and all of the in-training exams to study. And none of these sources are entirely up to date with changes today. So, I feel like we're on our own for areas like the DSM-5, immunizations, JNC-8, cholesterol guideline changes, and new changes in ICD-10 coding.

How are you guys studying for the most up to date things? Do you have any input?

Thanks!
I can almost guarantee that JNC-8 and the new lipid guidelines will NOT be on the boards next month - unless you heard directly from the ABFM that those new guidelines, specifically, would be. Saying "the test is up to date" isn't the same as saying "JNC-8 will be on the exam". Immunizations don't usually change that much from year to year so you should be OK on that one.

Coding wasn't on the boards last year so I find it hard to believe it will be this year.

Our psych questions are never really dependent on a thorough understanding of the DSM. In the questions, the diagnosis will usually be pretty obvious even if you're never opened the DSM.