Family Medicine Boards

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedicineMan99

Family Medicine Attending (DO)
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm a PGY-III who will be taking both the osteopathic and allopathic Family Medicine boards this spring. Who else is? What is the absolute quickest, most effective way to prepare?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

So I'm a PGY-III who will be taking both the osteopathic and allopathic Family Medicine boards this spring. Who else is? What is the absolute quickest, most effective way to prepare?

Thanks!
Cheap/easy/quick - AAFP review questions online, read old AFP articles/take CME quizzes

Easy/bit pricey/what I did - AAFP board review express audio lectures, 30 minutes each with quiz at the end

Expensive/draining/tends to work well - AAFP board review express live course

That's all for the allopathic, not sure what one should do for osteopathic boards.

Members don't see this ad :)
I bought the self study program. With the resident discount, it was $715. My education fund paid for $500 of that. So far I think it is worth it. I'm not the type that does well with review classes. These are the same videos and 600 page notes. I can do it at my own and re-watch videos as I please. Mine came with the MP3 discs too, so I loaded those on my ipod so I could listen to them on my 11 hour road trip to my parents Thanksgiving and Christmas. I also read the AAFP journal every month and do the board questions on their website.

I bought the self study program. With the resident discount, it was $715. My education fund paid for $500 of that. So far I think it is worth it. I'm not the type that does well with review classes. These are the same videos and 600 page notes. I can do it at my own and re-watch videos as I please. Mine came with the MP3 discs too, so I loaded those on my ipod so I could listen to them on my 11 hour road trip to my parents Thanksgiving and Christmas. I also read the AAFP journal every month and do the board questions on their website.

At my program, we get about $900 per year as an educational stipend. However, this year that is all spent on fees associated with taking boards. And, since I'm a DO in a dual-accredited program, I have to take both MD and DO boards. So, that's tons of money this year, and my program only covers $900 worth.

How did you get an additional $500 of money to pay for it?

By the way, do you think the videos are worth it? (And can I borrow them?;-) )

The $500 was my educational fund. Each program is different and will cover different things. For mention is worth it. I don't like sharing study materials and relying on people to return them. See if other residents in your program want to split the costs. I have known about this expense so I have been putting money back to covering and the cost of boards.

Anyone notice that in the AAFP videos the presenters basically read off the powerpoints? Like, 99% of the words they speak are on the powerpoint. So, shouldn't I just review the powerpoints to save time?