Family Medicine Second Looks?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gabdel

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone receive an invite for a second look? If so can you list which program it was? Im trying to cross check with programs I've IV'd at

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone receive an invite for a second look? If so can you list which program it was? Im trying to cross check with programs I've IV'd at

Almost every program mentioned at the end of the interview - that if I wanted to learn evevn more to come for a second look. The programs that did send second looks - I am 100% sure they sent it to everyone since it was one of those generic e-mails. Out of anonyminity I am not going to list the programs - but pretty much all programs either offer you in person during interview or sent an e-mail.

You are wrong here. My top choice program interviewed about 80 - 90 candidates for <10 spots. They called 18 ppl for a formal second look event. This was by invite only.

Members don't see this ad :)
NRMP policy is that programs cannot require a second look. http://www.nrmp.org/code-of-conduct/

There is a huge variance by region on the issue of second looks. If all of a program's candidates are in driving distance, so what, but when candidates have to pay additional hundreds or thousands in travel expenses again and take time off from clinical training again that's ridiculous and irresponsible. The NRMP and ACGME are clear in their disapproval of programs that use second looks as part of their candidate review processes.

I might ask for a second look when I can't make it to the resident dinner and am not otherwise able to form an opinion on the current residents at one of my top program choices. I don't expect a 2nd look to do anything tangible to my chances at a program.

This is completely different from the med school admissions process where you're holding an acceptance as you're making a decision, and a second look is on top of a sure thing.

I suggest that if there's no further information that you need from a program after interviewing, and you love the program, that you should then consider asking your department chair (with maximum polite professionalism) to make a phone call on your behalf instead of using time and money to go visit again.

In resp to jennashell My bad what I meant was all the interviews that I went on for family medicine almost all either offered a second look during interview day or by email. I applied Mostly in Mid Atlantic and midwest