Family Medicine Shelf vs Internal Medicien Shelf

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

colts

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I were to read Step Up to Medicine 2ed and do all the internal medicine UWORLD questions would that be enough to pass the family medicine shelf?

I would not use any other resources, like case files, blueprints, kaplan questions, med-u cases, etc.

(I have both exams back to back, and wanted to see if uworld internal medicine and step up to med would be good enough for family medicine)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I have not yet taken the IM shelf but did very well on the FM shelf. I used Swanson's Family Practice review and listened to all the FM mp3s my program loaded for us (some AAFP board review, very good). I did about half of the AAFP questions (free as a student member) which were excellent with outstanding explanations and current citations.
In fairness though, I feel I did so well because I had worked as a PA in FM and EM for more than a decade and knew the work up and management of common FM problems. That said, it was really a general medicine test with some prevention and immunizations thrown in. I think if you prepare well for your IM shelf then review some Peds/simple OB concepts before the FM shelf you should do fine.
Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
bump...anyone else?

Members don't see this ad :)
Really, you could probably pass the FM shelf without doing anything, depending on what your school sets as the passing grade.

That would be more than adequate. The IM questions also have preventative things in them, so that would pretty much cover all of FM. You might want to skim over some OB/GYN and Peds material, though.

people who have done (or know people who have done) Step Up to Medicine and UWORLD internal medicine questions only for family, can they post they scores...

And what rotations they had done before family medicine...

Your IM shelf prep would be definitely enough to pass the FM shelf but not necessarily enough to 75th%+ it. I just relied on my IM knowledge and did about half of the Pre-Test FM the 2 days before the FM shelf and ended up 97%ile or so.

thanks....anyone else have input on this issue...

Your IM shelf prep would be definitely enough to pass the FM shelf but not necessarily enough to 75th%+ it. I just relied on my IM knowledge and did about half of the Pre-Test FM the 2 days before the FM shelf and ended up 97%ile or so.

What rotations did you have before family medicine?

really? no one has any advice???????

any updated input on this?
No, it won't really help. Because the family medicine shelf doesn't just include internal medicine but questions geared around outpatient and preventative medicine. Which, the questions on the aafp site do a great job of helping with that.

Sent from my One using Tapatalk

No, it won't really help. Because the family medicine shelf doesn't just include internal medicine but questions geared around outpatient and preventative medicine. Which, the questions on the aafp site do a great job of helping with that.

Sent from my One using Tapatalk

thanks!

Any advice on the peds and OB that shows up on this shelf? I did well on the medicine shelf, but haven't had any exposure to OB and very little to peds on this clerkship (and haven't had peds or OB clerkship yet).

Any advice on the peds and OB that shows up on this shelf? I did well on the medicine shelf, but haven't had any exposure to OB and very little to peds on this clerkship (and haven't had peds or OB clerkship yet).

Previous knowledge and the Female Repro AAFP questions seemed sufficient to me. There was some child & adolescent psych on mine in terms of peds, other than that knowing things like the Centor criteria and peds ID stuff was helpful (I hadn't had peds or OB when I took it and didn't have an issue). Obviously know vaccine schedules and USPSTF recs. Other people I talked to had questions about developmental milestones, so it might be worth reviewing that the day before.

Just realized this was an old post, but I'll leave it for others interested.

Last edited:
Sharing my experience on the family shelf:

If you had IM and psych prior to this shelf then don't sweat it. For me, the shelf was basically a really easy version of the IM shelf + a good portion of psych (easier than the psych shelf) + some peds (haven't had peds yet so can't comment) + a dash of gyn (easier than the obgyn shelf).

All I did was about 700 AAFP questions (not sure how helpful these were since most of it was irrelevant). Did half of case files but really disliked it (too superficial). Went in expecting to get owned since I've historically heard this was the hardest shelf + I barely studied. I walked out feeling this was the easiest shelf. I ended up getting 99th percentile and one pt higher than the IM shelf.

Doing family after IM/psych puts you at a huge advantage. I'd say just review some ambulatory medicine, DM/HTN mgmt, and health maintenance stuff and you'll probably be good. Maybe also some MSK/back pain/common ambulatory complaints. For MS2's, schedule this rotation after IM/psych (or at least after IM) if possible.

Reactions: 1 user