Family Medicine Shelf

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pardonnemoi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
My family medicine shelf is in 4.5 wks, and I was wondering which question book I should be using. I've heard that case files is pretty good, what do yall think? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all,
My family medicine shelf is in 4.5 wks, and I was wondering which question book I should be using. I've heard that case files is pretty good, what do yall think? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

I read case files, but it seems kinda weak considering the specialty is so broad. Step-Up to medicine along with reviewing some Peds, OB, psych stuff in a Step 2 book would probably be another option. Do the AAFP board review questions on their website (the membership is free for students).

I take it at the end of this week. So I can't say how well the resources correspond to actual test content.

The AAFP online questions are great. It's free to sign up, they're hard but they give good support for the answers and there's a bunch for you to work through.

I've already exhausted MKSAP4 and UWorld, but I'd definitely give those a go if you haven't already.

Step-Up to Medicine and I never really clicked, but a lot of people recommend the ambulatory section for Family Med.

Members don't see this ad :)
can someone please explain how you can sign up for the aafp questions? as far as i can see, you have to be either a member of the board already or a subscriber to their magazine or home study program. am i missing something?

thanks a log. shelf is next friday so i would really appreciate a reply asap!

can someone please explain how you can sign up for the aafp questions? as far as i can see, you have to be either a member of the board already or a subscriber to their magazine or home study program. am i missing something?

thanks a log. shelf is next friday so i would really appreciate a reply asap!

You join the AAFP. It's free for students. Verification takes a day or two.

After that, you go to the board review questions.

I take it at the end of this week. So I can't say how well the resources correspond to actual test content.

The AAFP online questions are great. It's free to sign up, they're hard but they give good support for the answers and there's a bunch for you to work through.

I've already exhausted MKSAP4 and UWorld, but I'd definitely give those a go if you haven't already.

Step-Up to Medicine and I never really clicked, but a lot of people recommend the ambulatory section for Family Med.

hey thanks, y'all -- for all the info. fam med = 1st rotation so i appreciate all the help.
ambulatory section of step up to medicine. check.
what sections of uworld should i try to cover? (sorry if that's a stupid q. i just don't know what i can cover in however many weeks and wanted to know what would give me a good shot at making it through this shelf)

The problem with UWorld is that you'd really need to hit all of it to get the full benefit for the Family shelf.

I'm tempted to say try the AAFP and MKSAP 4 questions before UWorld in your case... just b/c you'll get the better use of UWorld in the other rotations and the volume might be prohibitive for such a short rotation.

edit: if you are going to use UWorld, you could probably click everything except Surgery and count it as effective study for the Family shelf. I'd say there's Peds, OB/Gyn, Psych and Internal on there.

Is reading the ambulatory section of Step Up to Medicine + Casefiles and/or the AAFP questions enough to do well on the shelf? Or is there another family medicine text I should get?

This is my first rotation, so I've had no exposure whatsoever to peds or OB. It's also the first year our school is giving the actual shelf exam for family medicine (in previous years it was an in-house exam), so MS4s haven't been able to give any advice. Thanks!

I read case files, but it seems kinda weak considering the specialty is so broad. Step-Up to medicine along with reviewing some Peds, OB, psych stuff in a Step 2 book would probably be another option. Do the AAFP board review questions on their website (the membership is free for students).

83/86th percentile. I studied just >1wk for this shelf and plowed through case files and all the AAFP questions. It was my last shelf of 3rd year so I probably retained some from all the other rotations. This was actually better than I expected to do so I'm pretty happy about that.

The problem with UWorld is that you'd really need to hit all of it to get the full benefit for the Family shelf.

I'm tempted to say try the AAFP and MKSAP 4 questions before UWorld in your case... just b/c you'll get the better use of UWorld in the other rotations and the volume might be prohibitive for such a short rotation.

edit: if you are going to use UWorld, you could probably click everything except Surgery and count it as effective study for the Family shelf. I'd say there's Peds, OB/Gyn, Psych and Internal on there.

thanks for the reply. i didnt see it til now. appreciate.