Family Medicine Sleep Fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OklahomaFP

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So now that Sleep is a possible fellowship option for FP's, how realistic is it to get into a sleep fellowship. I know that most Sleep programs through Neurology seem to be specific to neurology residents. I am in Family Medicine and am very interested in potentially pursuing Sleep Medicine in the future. Grandfathering not an option as I will graduate in 2011. Any programs that you all know of that typically take IM,FM, Psych? I am planning on doing a Sleep Elective and some Sleep Research so I should have that as part of my application.

Members don't see this ad.

So now that Sleep is a possible fellowship option for FP's, how realistic is it to get into a sleep fellowship. I know that most Sleep programs through Neurology seem to be specific to neurology residents. I am in Family Medicine and am very interested in potentially pursuing Sleep Medicine in the future. Grandfathering not an option as I will graduate in 2011. Any programs that you all know of that typically take IM,FM, Psych? I am planning on doing a Sleep Elective and some Sleep Research so I should have that as part of my application.

Try UPenn

I realize I posted back in May, but there have been almost 1400 views and only 1 post with nothing more than to look at UPenn. Do any of ya'll have any advice regarding what I can do to have a good chance at securing a fellowship or know of any other programs that may be more FP friendly. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad :)
I realize I posted back in May, but there have been almost 1400 views and only 1 post with nothing more than to look at UPenn. Do any of ya'll have any advice regarding what I can do to have a good chance at securing a fellowship or know of any other programs that may be more FP friendly. Thanks in advance!

The Univ Of MS medical center in JACKSON, Mississippi took a fam prac sleep fellow a few years ago

Stanford has taken several FM residents. Many did a rotation and were liked, however.

so far no such fellowship exist
hopefully in the future it will

I am BC in family medicine and Sleep medicine. I went to Medical college of Wisconsin for the adult and pediatric sleep medicine fellowship. I took the first CAQ in sleep in 2007.

The fellowship is truly multi-disciplinary. The Program director in Pulm/CC, the program is under the ENT department and there are BC sleep ENT, neurologists with sleep and pulm pediatricians with sleep training too.

The competition will be stiff. But you have to set yourself apart. I did a dual psych/FP residency... which is unusual ... electives at the cleveland clinic, elective in pediatric sleep medicine ....co-authored on geriatric insomnia with my FP chair. Chose to discuss OSA and pregnancy/perinatal issues during the interview. I tried to put my best foot forward:laugh: