Family member = faculty member/alumni?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

choo301

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've seen some secondaries ask about this, but does it actually matter? To be more specific, would it give me an edge over an applicant with similar stats to myself? I feel like the legacy factor is far less important than in the undergrad admissions process, but I could be wrong...

(Just wanted to see what you all think, as it's an itch I've been meaning to scratch for a while, or maybe I'm just plain bored)

Members don't see this ad.

i do believe that some schools give 'courtesy interviews' to legacy/relatives of faculty applicants. i think what this means is that they get to interview at the school even if they may otherwise not have based on their application but they don't necessarily get a leg up when deciding whether to actually admit.

...of course, if you get an interview and your application is so-so, it seems like you at least would then have the opportunity to make a great impression in person and get a shot, whereas if you didn't get invited to interview you wouldn't have that opportunity (duh)