Family situation and med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Continue living at home?

• NO, get out while you can and save your health

Votes: 20 42.6%
  • YES, survive the last year and save the money

Votes: 27 57.4%

• Total voters

dr_dre

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going into my final year of undergrad next year and applying to med schools now.

I've been living at home for my entire undergrad because the school is within driving distance and I don't have the money for residence, etc.
Lately I've been beginning to notice that my messed up family (parents and younger siblings still in high school) is contributing to a lot of stress in my life, and basically ruining my ability to do anything productive here at home, while at the same time somewhat ruining my sanity.

During the school year, I spend as much time as possible outside the house - ie. I go to school as early as possible and study in the libraries as late as possible. Basically I'm trying not to spend too much time in the house around the constant bickering and shouting.

I don't know if I should just leave and go into debt trying to live on my own, or should I stick it out for my last year, knowing that if I get into a professional school I will be gone anyway?

I didn't even apply to any schools within driving distance of my home because I don't want to even consider living here.

What's everyone's opinion?

Members don't see this ad.

If you're going to move somewhere else in a year anyway, it might not be the best idea to get an apartment now (or move into a dorm) if you're going to leave it in 12 months. I'd just try to avoid the folks as much as possible, while being kind to your little siblings. They'd never admit it, but they'll miss you (and you'll miss them) when you're gone. Be the bigger person, and if you can't make happy memories of your last year with them, try not to make bad ones.

you could always pick up another job too. Make a little money and get out of the house, double win.

Members don't see this ad :)
Phillyborn has been smokin' that stuff!!!! Stay at home and duke it out for one more year. This application process is extremely expensive and the last thing you will want to worry about is paying some mad rent and utility bills while trying to pay for 2ndaries and interview travel. If you have younger siblings...LAY THE SMACK DOWN!!!! Let them know what's up...

good luck with the application process!!!!

dr_dre said:
I'm going into my final year of undergrad next year and applying to med schools now.

I've been living at home for my entire undergrad because the school is within driving distance and I don't have the money for residence, etc.
Lately I've been beginning to notice that my messed up family (parents and younger siblings still in high school) is contributing to a lot of stress in my life, and basically ruining my ability to do anything productive here at home, while at the same time somewhat ruining my sanity.

During the school year, I spend as much time as possible outside the house - ie. I go to school as early as possible and study in the libraries as late as possible. Basically I'm trying not to spend too much time in the house around the constant bickering and shouting.

I don't know if I should just leave and go into debt trying to live on my own, or should I stick it out for my last year, knowing that if I get into a professional school I will be gone anyway?

I didn't even apply to any schools within driving distance of my home because I don't want to even consider living here.

What's everyone's opinion?

I would have a serious sit-down conversation with your family and lay out your needs.

1. You NEED a quiet place to study, and you NEED it in the house.
2. You NEED your privacy to study without interruption.
3. You NEED some support from your family to do your best and meet your goals.

In return, you will do your part to be the absolute best student you can be and make your parents proud.

If they balk, move out. It'll be worth the money spent.

On another note, it may be worth moving out and getting used to being on your own before you dive into medical school. You don't need the stress of figuring out how to live on your own (and do it well) AND med school at the same time. Depends on you and how you handle that kind of thing.

ShyRem said:
I would have a serious sit-down conversation with your family and lay out your needs.

1. You NEED a quiet place to study, and you NEED it in the house.
2. You NEED your privacy to study without interruption.
3. You NEED some support from your family to do your best and meet your goals.

In return, you will do your part to be the absolute best student you can be and make your parents proud.

This is a good idea. You've lasted three years, whats one more? Besides, you'll harldy see them the next four years...

I say get out. You can move in with some friends and split the rent. Plus, you can get used to being on your own and gather your sanity back in preparation for the trials of med school. Have some fun. Your only young once so don't waste it boiling in your family's drama cauldron. Under more pleasant ciurcumstances, I would almost always recommend staying at home for as long as possible. But it sounds like a bad scene, and you don't need that.