Famous DOs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

callipygian

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know nobody does it for the fame, but which DO physicians made it big in their specialty?

I want names, so I can see how they rose the ranks and the path they took to get there

Members don't see this ad.

The search function will bring up a much better list, but just off the top of my head:

Dr. Will Kirby of Dr. 90210 and Big Brother fame is a DO from NOVA, the current head of space medicine at Nasa who helped with the Chilean minor crisis is a DO from KCOM, Several Presidents (including Clinton) had DOs as their official docs, the Dr. who officially diagnosed the last pope with Parkinson's is a very famous DO neurologist, the current head of the federal state medical board association is a DO, etc, etc, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ronnie from Jersey Shore visited a DO to get his a** checked.

Reactions: 1 user
Maurizio Miglietta. Couldn't tell you which school he went to, but I know where he went after that. He did a surgery residency and then was the first DO accepted at University of Maryland's shock trauma fellowship (considered the best in the nation for trauma). He went on to be the head of trauma for Bellevue for a while, and is currently the head of trauma for Columbia Presbyterian.

Oh and he is Obama's personal surgeon when he is in the NYC area. Interesting, Miglietta's brother is Obama's physician when he is in the NYC area. Nepotism? hahaha.

Oh and he also funded the "mobile trauma unit" a group of trauma surgeons who provide healthcare to the secret service. And in his free time he sells kits to heal GSR and other ballistic traumas to police forces and the army. The dude is a pimp. He also never took the USMLE. Only COMLEX and charisma from this guy.

Dr. Andrew Taylor Still, sorry I couldn't resist the urge.

Members don't see this ad :)

CANt-tell-if-serious-or-trolling.jpg

Not trolling, check all my prior posts. Posted the web link for anyone interested in reading about his practice. Not sure how this would be considered trolling. Also, he is pretty well known in Chicago.

I guess I was answering the OPs original question. I guess because of issues with some aspects of his practice that it may not have been the best example. However, he has a financially successful practice and is well know..

Last edited:
Not trolling, check all my prior posts. Posted the web link for anyone interested in reading about his practice. Not sure how this would be considered trolling. Also, he is pretty well known in Chicago.

Certainly I don't think you were trolling, I just think DocE was more-or-less referencing the fact that certain aspects of Mercola's beliefs regarding healthcare are non-traditional at best and harmful at worst (read: he's in the immunizations are bad camp, among other things) and that his site primarily peddles wares in nearly every story it publishes and that all of this is the type of notoriety DOs as a whole have been trying to avoid.

Certainly I don't think you were trolling, I just think DocE was more-or-less referencing the fact that certain aspects of Mercola's beliefs regarding healthcare are non-traditional at best and harmful at worst (read: he's in the immunizations are bad camp, among other things) and that his site primarily peddles wares in nearly every story it publishes and that all of this is the type of notoriety DOs as a whole have been trying to avoid.

I agree with you on that, and don't agree with a lot of his views either. I know a lot of DOs and MDs in the Chicago area that do share his belief. Either way, sorry for the bad example.

Yea. I was just thinking that he has a few (not tons, though) crazy views that i think are very much what we want to distance from. and then him shilling his wares in every article, thats just a personal quality of his I dislike.

Interesting. I just can't believe a physician who went to school in the US believes immunizations are bad. Might as well be one of those who think HIV doesn't cause AIDS.