Famous Med Movies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

celts5

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone knew of any inspirational Doc movies.

I'm 23 and I'm applying to a Post-Bac pre-med program. I have a B.A. in Philosophy and there are some philosophers that were Doctors. Infact John Locke was a Doctor and helped pave the way for the founding fathers of the U.S. ideologies and the making of the U.S. Constiution. Quite remarkable!

I'm hoping to get in and waiting (with a little anxiousness) to hear back from the school I applied to.

I'm from the Southern part of the U.S. but I applied to a Northern school out of my state.

Thanks for your input in advance if you know of any ~~

and Happy St. Patrick's Day / week for the Irish!

--C

Members don't see this ad.

Off the top of my head, Gifted Hands - The Ben Carson Story is a good one.

Reactions: 1 user
See, I became a doctor 'cuz of the movie Patch Adams.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank for your input yall. I will look some of them up.

Not movies, but Boston Med and New York Med are great series and free somewhere on the web too. I enjoyed that Ben Carson movie ( also on youtube for those wondering), thanks. There's a thread somewhere if you search where they recommended a bunch of documentaries and movies. Someone find it.

Edit: Here's the thread.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/medical-documentaries-list.831578/

Last edited:
Not sure if I'll call this movie inspirational or even medically related but the movie: 'Malice' featuring Alec Baldwin had this powerful monologue where he rants about being a doctor. Watch the clip in YouTube. You won't be disappointed.

1. Dr Kildare's Strange Case
2. MASH
3. Bad Medicine
4. Flatliners

5. The Doctor
6. Something the Lord Made
7. Doc Martin

Last edited:
Not movies, but Boston Med and New York Med are great series and free somewhere on the web too. I enjoyed that Ben Carson movie ( also on youtube for those wondering), thanks. There's a thread somewhere if you search where they recommended a bunch of documentaries and movies. Someone find it.

Thanks guys, and thanks popo I watched episode 1 of Boston med, it is very moving.... and the honest take of what a day could possibly be like was a big eye opener....

GL and many thanks for the thread about the lists.

The infamous book House of God was made into a movie. It may be worth your time.

The infamous book House of God was made into a movie. It may be worth your time.
I knew this was made into a movie, but I could never find it. Other medically themed books that were made into movies:
1. MASH
2. A Taste of My own Medicine( later re-titled The Doctor) into The Doctor
3. The Citadel
4. Of Human Bondage
5. Middlemarch
( a book that Osler recommended every medical student should read)

I am God:

Cool video following medical students through a year of school:

I'd stay away from the Harvard med student class documentary. Utterly depressing. Seems like most ended up dysfunctional, divorced, or just uninteresting.

patch adams, greys anatomy ( i follow almost all season), house, gifted hand,:soexcited: