FAMU College of Pharmacy 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

QueenBPharmD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey everyone, as guessed this thread is for the pre-pharmacy and transfer students that will be applying this upcoming spring (2013) to FAMU college of pharmacy. good luck. and lets stay informed. :)

Members don't see this ad.

hey everyone, as guessed this thread is for the pre-pharmacy and transfer students that will be applying this upcoming spring (2013) to FAMU college of pharmacy. good luck. and lets stay informed. :)
Yeah Im applying to FAMU for the fall 2013 year.....how the application coming along for you QueenBPharmD

I also am applying to FAMU's college of pharmacy this spring (2013). I am feeling pretty excited about it and nervous but I am hopeful. Wishing everyone success.

lghazi99

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah Im applying to FAMU for the fall 2013 year.....how the application coming along for you QueenBPharmD

Hello people. I wanted to ask a question about the supplemental app. When I go to fill it out, I am unableto to complete the form. How were you guys able to fill out the form. WHich Adobe program are you using?

Thank you

Hi!!!
I'm also applying to FAMU this spring. Has anybody mailed their application? Where is everybody from?
Good luck on your application!!

I'm applying to FAMU as well. But I have a few questions... :confused:

1) I already took Cal. I but I haven't taken pre-calc...do I still have to take it? (on the FAMU website it says it's required)
2) Which application do you fill out in addition to the supplemental application?

I'm applying to FAMU as well. But I have a few questions... :confused:

1) I already took Cal. I but I haven't taken pre-calc...do I still have to take it? (on the FAMU website it says it's required)
2) Which application do you fill out in addition to the supplemental application?

HI! I would take Pre-Cal, just to be on the safe side. I'd rather be over prepared than under prepared. Did you take the Cal-based Physics or the Algebra-based?

Hello Pasofinab,
I printed out my supplemental application and did it that way. If you want to be absolutely sure. I would call the school of pharmacy. So far, they have been very helpful.

Good luck
Lghazi99

Hello Pbskid,
I am in the process of submitting mine. Waiting for my last letter of recommendation from my professor. I am from Panama City, Florida. Where are you from? Good luck to you as we'll.

Lghazi99

Thanks! I am currently in the process of completing my application as well. I'm from Blakely, Ga. Have you or anyone else already been accepted into the school?

Hello everybody I'm also in the process of completing my app and should have everything sent in no later than 1/10/13. I wish you all luck. I have some friends in the program and they say it's amazing so let's just handle business and pray we get in

Hey all, (First post. Huzzah!)

I put in my application last month and I am just playing the waiting game along with the rest. This is one out of three schools that I've applied for. Really hoping for FAMU though. I'm going in as a transfer with a bachelor's. LOL I'm going to be an old fogey surrounded by young'uns.

Best of luck to all of us. :3

Anybody still working on their application?

Members don't see this ad :)
So there is life in this thread. But it's understandable as FAMU won't do much until they reviewed all applications. So folks I've been told that around April we should hear something. Methinks it should be earlier than that but hey, it is what it is.

Like I've said, I finished mine's last month and mailed it in Christmas Eve. *twiddling thumbs*

I check the thread at least once a day. Although all this talk about mailing applications and getting accepted makes me nervous, I still like to talk about it with people that are going through the same process. Quick question about your undergraduate application: Which address did you send your transcripts to? The 400 address or the 1700 address? I'm confused!

Yeah I do the same thing. More than once a day.

To answer your question, I can't accurately recall but I think it is 1700 Foote Hilyer or something like that.

Sent from my SPH-M930BST using SDN Mobile

That's where I sent my college transcript, but then I looked at the paper application online and it said send your transcripts to the 400 address. I'm not sure if they changed buildings or what. I tried calling, but I was unable to talk to anybody.

I'm sure it'll get to the right place without a doubt. Not to worry. :)

When I wasn't sure myself, I called the main number and asked the operator to patch me through to either undergrad admissions or the registrar's office. Hope that helps.

It's the 1700 address. I called the school and asked and they said that's the address but it should get to its destination regardless

Thanks for the info. I followed my instinct and sent my transcripts to the 1700 address. I'm really glad I did now. Can you guys believe next Friday is February 1st???? Time has flown by so quickly!!! =))
Does anyone have any information about scholarships? I NEED them!!

You, me and everyone else applying to pharmacy school my friend. Although, I hate to say it but I don't think there are that many scholarships. It depends on the school and the scholarships do little to moderate damage against the tuition.

Of course I would like to be wrong and since we're dealing with an HBCU there could be some good amount of money out there.

Hey! How did you write over the PDF for the supplemental application? Im applying here last minute, wasnt initially going to because they where not in pharmcas. But anyway Im having trouble because it has to be typed and i cant seem to find a program that will let me type over it!

THANKS SOOOO MUCH

Hey Nikki. It's very hard to explain as my grasp on Adobe products is amateur at best. You will need Adobe Reader Professional software. Could be 9 or 10 (X) from my understanding. I think you can also do it with Standard but I'm not entirely sure. When in doubt, just go straight for professional.

Also there's physically printing the application and using the typewriter but lol who has those anymore? *coughmecough*

Those are the only two suggestions I know of to go about this.

There's an option after you download the Supplemental application that allows you to edit the form. If time allows, I would do better with screen caps of the step by step instructions because I don't know Adobe like I know Microsoft Word. I'm sorry about that.

A question though, have you gotten all of your transcripts in by now (1 from every institution to undergrad/2 to the office of student services)? If not, I wouldn't even bother as the deadline for everything to be in is next week.

Hey Nikki. It's very hard to explain as my grasp on Adobe products is amateur at best. You will need Adobe Reader Professional software. Could be 9 or 10 (X) from my understanding. I think you can also do it with Standard but I'm not entirely sure. When in doubt, just go straight for professional.

Also there's physically printing the application and using the typewriter but lol who has those anymore? *coughmecough*

Those are the only two suggestions I know of to go about this.

There's an option after you download the Supplemental application that allows you to edit the form. If time allows, I would do better with screen caps of the step by step instructions because I don't know Adobe like I know Microsoft Word. I'm sorry about that.

A question though, have you gotten all of your transcripts in by now (1 from every institution to undergrad/2 to the office of student services)? If not, I wouldn't even bother as the deadline for everything to be in is next week.

Thanks I will try that. And yes they have my transcripts already. Im right here in Tallahassee. I just finished with my BS from Florida State so It was not problem to do that. I have letters and everything else. Just gotta finished this supp app and turn everything in. Dont have to mail it, just going to turn the packet into their office since Im here already. Thanks a lot for responding so fast.

Nikki, were you able to get the form features in Adobe? If not, I have my screen caps ready. Also, I'll post this for any body else for future reference.

transcripts should be sent to both the 1415 address and the 1700 address.

Okay folks. Seeing as the deadline is this Friday and I'm guessing rest of the majority can just walk in and hand deliver the application package I'm just going to post the way I did it.

Like I've mentioned you do need a professional version of Adobe Reader. The version I'm using here is Acrobat 9 so if you are using a different version, I'm confident that you can still get the same procedures.

(Gah, my job won't let me upload pictures directly from a hard drive. I have to wait until this evening to upload pictures along with tutorial.)

I'm sure it'll get to the right place without a doubt. Not to worry. :)

I wouldn't be so sure about that, i would send them again to the correct address or call and make sure they have everything for you.

Hey Guys, I guess now we wait. Looking at last years thread we have a good 4-6 weeks before the Interview fun begins. Best of luck to all of us (Fingers Crossed)

I'm an attending undergrad, I was offered a scholarship for getting my AA from a community college. 3,000 for maintaining a 3.0 GPA. Not sure if it will carry over to the pharm.d program though.

Everybody should have their applications submitted and awaiting a thorough review. I wish everyone the best of luck and I hope we are future classmates!!!

Hey guys. Good luck to all with their applications. Has anyone received a letter for a Interview yet? I was reading through some threads from the class of 2016 and some individuals were lucky enough to get theirs by the end of Feb!!

Sit back and relax he says. :laugh:

LOL you cray-cray. But seriously, we just gotta wait it out. Anyone who knows somebody on the inside wanna give us a timeline?

A lot of undergrads have already received their interview letters. The first interview batch is next week! Mon-fri.

^Thanks for the info.

So we gotta see how many they'll accept and from there we should have a good idea on how many of us transfers they'll take in.

Last edited:
I just called and they said they won't be sending out interview and rejection letters for transfers until a couple of weeks from now. They are still making sure everyone has all their documentation in. And the wait continues.....

Not trying to state the obvious, but I guess this means those participating in the 6 year program are getting their letters/interviews first. The rest of us should hopefully hear something around 2nd week of March.

Not trying to state the obvious, but I guess this means those participating in the 6 year program are getting their letters/interviews first. The rest of us should hopefully hear something around 2nd week of March.

I got the same info when I called. We should be receiving our letters by the second week of march. I was told by a student that got into the program last fall that it always helps to continually check the status of your application

This new information makes me super nervous. Good luck to everybody!

Hey I am nervous as well! I am considered a transfer student even though I have been attending Famu since my freshmen year, but my major is biology. So hopefully we will hear something by next week! Best of luck to everyone!

Yeah I am starting to get more nervous as the days get closer. I'm pretty sure we will receive the letters sometime next week. Last years thread said they received the letters on the week of the 12th. I am a transfer student as well.

So how bout them letters huh? Anyone got an update?

EDIT: So I just got off the phone with someone from the office of student services and she said the letters for transfers won't go out for about a couple of weeks as I hope that's not the case.

If you do get a letter soon please let us know so that we have some hope. It's a shame that they are super slow in the process. :/

Last edited:
Hi,
I am a P1 student at FAMU. Things maybe going a bit slower this time around because the college of pharmacy had been focusing on the accreditation board visit that we had last week. Please be patient. Good luck everyone.

Hi,
I am a P1 student at FAMU. Things maybe going a bit slower this time around because the college of pharmacy had been focusing on the accreditation board visit that we had last week. Please be patient. Good luck everyone.

How do you like the school and curriculum?

Omg the suspense is killing me! Because I was looking forward to us hearing something this week, but we shall continue to wait. Good luck everyone!! :)

How do you like the school and curriculum?

To be honest, I am transfer student so I hadn't seen much of the school to give you an overall review. As for what I do know, the school has several places on campus where you can eat. There is a research center behind the pharmacy building, which have a library. So, if you do not want to study on the 2nd floor of the pharmacy building you can go there. There is another library a few minutes away from the school. I normally go to those places, because you will be in the pharmacy building until 5pm or a little bit longer (on certain days).

My class is like a family. We help one another all the time. It will be challenging at first because your class will have more than a 100 students (depending if you are in Tallahassee or Cretsview). I'm normally good with faces, but it took me at least a few weeks to become familiar with every one in my class. You will also have to dress professionally everyday, except Fridays. You can wear a polo and slacks, but you cannot wear jeans, etc...

Financial aid (FA) can be a pain! My suggestion to you guys is when you get accepted try to contact FA around the start of July to make sure you have everything in place. DO NOT WAIT until school start. You will attempt to go to FA in between classes to see them, which is difficult because the lines are going to be super long.

The curriculum...
1. Pathophysiology- mainly reading and make sure you understand the powerpoints)
2. Calculations -if you are ok with algebra, calculations won't be too bad...
3. Pharmaceutics- this is the class that will be very challenging for most. It stretch back into general chemistry, topics such as: valence, phase diagram, etc will be covered... You will also began understanding how different drug formulations (aerosols, emulsions, solutions, etc) are used .
4. PHYS CHEM & DRUG ANA (AKA Biochemistry)- it the same as undergraduate biochemistry. If you have already taken it it would be a refresher, for those who hadn't it will be a bit challenging.
5. Lab- you will have weekly quizzes. Be on time (usually 8am) or you won't be allowed to take the quiz. In labs we actually make the medication. The first semester is all about liquids medication. You will prepare it, and once it's graded you can take it home. You will have 2 wet labs (midterms and final). With wet labs, you won't know which lab you will have to perform. You will show up and they will give you three sheets of paper. The 1st sheet will be a quiz over all the info you covered. The 2nd and 3rd sheet will be the experiment you have to perform. You will have to know all the procedures and the calculations in order to calculate the right amount of ingredients needed.
6. IPPE- this class will divide your class into four. The 1st group will intern for 3 weeks at various pharmacy practices. The next group will continue after the 1st group and so on... In this class, you will also learn a few of the top 200 drugs, write in a weekly journal on black board from a book you will be assigned to read, and learn medical terminology.
7. Drug Information- teaches you about different sites where you can find drug information.
8. Pharmacy Health Care and Behavior- more like a psychology class. You will have to learn different behavior theories.
9. Forum- guest speakers come speak... This is where all the p1-p3s will sit in the same room (blue cross blue shield) at the same time.

You are also required to do community service. You have to do a total of 200 hours before graduation. As a P1, it won't be hard to find community service. All and all, the program is very time consuming, but as long as you stay on top of your studies you will be fine.

Last edited:
Thanks mission707! The information you gave was really insightful. I really hope I get accepted. If I do, I plan to stay on top of my studies. I didn't take Biochemistry, but I plan to do a little independent studying so I won't be completely lost. Please share more information about the school and curriculum, if you can.
Thanks again!

Thanks mission707! The information you gave was really insightful. I really hope I get accepted. If I do, I plan to stay on top of my studies. I didn't take Biochemistry, but I plan to do a little independent studying so I won't be completely lost. Please share more information about the school and curriculum, if you can.
Thanks again!

No problem at all. If you have specific questions please feel free to ask.