FAMU College of Pharmacy 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I don't think we can get financial aid period... We are considered graduate students if I'm not mistaken.

To my understanding, you can get financial aid as a grad student, it's just offered in Loans only.... You can't get grants. I'm going to look into it for sure.
But I think I'm more than sure we can if we qualify for it.

Members don't see this ad.

To my understanding, you can get financial aid as a grad student, it's just offered in Loans only.... You can't get grants. I'm going to look into it for sure.

I know we're still considered undergrad for financial reasons until P3 year.

I know we're still considered undergrad for financial reasons until P3 year.

Let me see if I can clear things up a bit here. If you have your BA/BS degree you cannot get the pell grant. You are considered an undergraduate your p1 and p2 year, rather you have your degree or not. The law says that you can't get the pell grant once you received your first degree. So it doesn't matter if you was in the pharmacy program or if you went back to get another BA/BS degree, you will not be eligible for the pell grant. However, if you do not have a BA/BS degree you can still get the pell grant your first 2 years in the pharmacy program...

Please be careful with what you put down on your FAFSA. If you do not have a BA/BS or a higher degree, do not put that you are a graduate student. This may cause your refund to be late.

Those who have degrees and are independent can still apply for unsubsidized Stafford graduate loans and grad plus loans (I know it's weird because I said you are technically not a grad student).

Those who have their degrees and are dependents can apply for unsubsidized Stafford graduate loans and Parent Plus loans.

Those who do not have a degree and are not from Florida can get the pell grant, assuming you hadn't gone over your limit. You will have to apply for a private loan though because financial aid won't be enough to cover your tuition and living expenses.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
So, basically don't finish your degree you were working on if you want financial aid in pharmacy school. Right? I called and asked financial aid about it and they said what you did but when I said I don't need to finish my degree they kinda freaked on me. So, I called fasfa to correct my form and they told me to fix it. I chose graduate professional but working on my first bachelors dehree which qualifies me as an undergrad.

So, basically don't finish your degree you were working on if you want financial aid in pharmacy school. Right? I called and asked financial aid about it and they said what you did but when I said I don't need to finish my degree they kinda freaked on me. So, I called fasfa to correct my form and they told me to fix it. I chose graduate professional but working on my first bachelors dehree which qualifies me as an undergrad.

If you have over 120 hours and no BA/BS you have to select grad student on the fafsa as well because you will be over the hours allowed for funding from the others.

and just expect financial aid to take a WHILE the 1st semester, I would suggest saving some money up we didn't get it until the beginning of Oct. I believe.

Maybe if I was in-state I would go the no degree route, but if was not in-state I I would much rather take out a government loan than a private loan.

and just expect financial aid to take a WHILE the 1st semester, I would suggest saving some money up we didn't get it until the beginning of Oct. I believe.

yes!!! this can't be stressed enough.

I have a B.S. degree so this was very helpful.... Thanks!! Any suggestions on housing?? I really want to live off campus but I was told that you couldn't have a job in pharmacy school. so I am trying to figure out paying for rent since asking mom is not really an option. Lol

I have a B.S. degree so this was very helpful.... Thanks!! Any suggestions on housing?? I really want to live off campus but I was told that you couldn't have a job in pharmacy school. so I am trying to figure out paying for rent since asking mom is not really an option. Lol

It really depends on the person. There are people in my class who have jobs. Some even found the time to join sororities last semester. If you don't want to work, my suggestion to you is to take out the max amount of loan you can take out for the year.You will see what your expenses are and see what you can survive off of. Then you can make the adjustments for the 2nd semester and so on.

As far as housing, majority of us live off campus in Tallahassee. If I was you I would find some pharmacy students on this site or maybe the facebook page who are looking for roommates. Tallahassee is a college town and it is very expensive if you are trying to live on your own.

It really depends on the person. There are people in my class who have jobs. Some even found the time to join sororities last semester. If you don't want to work, my suggestion to you is to take out the max amount of loan you can take out for the year.You will see what your expenses are and see what you can survive off of. Then you can make the adjustments for the 2nd semester and so on.

As far as housing, majority of us live off campus in Tallahassee. If I was you I would find some pharmacy students on this site or maybe the facebook page who are looking for roommates. Tallahassee is a college town and it is very expensive if you are trying to live on your own.

Any nice apartments you would recommend?

Anybody from Montgomery, Alabama, Georgia or just within my region will also be attending the Tallahassee location in the fall??

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok, today I just received a package of certificate of admission from FAMU. In the package has many papers related to summer classes, general info, orientation and housing. What I want to make sure is :
1. We don't need to go to the general orientation, right? Just the pharmacy orientation. (8/19-8/21)
2. Get our own place to stay for orientation.
3. No register and payment for orientation.
4. Bring cash money for orientation ( money order )
5. We need the immunization form before orientation.

Ok, today I just received a package of certificate of admission from FAMU. In the package has many papers related to summer classes, general info, orientation and housing. What I want to make sure is :
1. We don't need to go to the general orientation, right? Just the pharmacy orientation. (8/19-8/21)
2. Get our own place to stay for orientation.
3. No register and payment for orientation.
4. Bring cash money for orientation ( money order )
5. We need the immunization form before orientation.

LOL they need to pay Chris and me. You guys heard all of this from us first...

Make sure you also have about $20 in cash for your name tag...

*edit* yes only go to the pharmacy orientation...

Last edited:
Hello everyone, congrats to everyone who got in, I am from Pensacola, FL and will be attending the crestview campus I would love to get to know all of my future classmates :)
anybody found housing in crestview as of yet??

I have a few ideas for housing. Actually I'm going to pick out my actual apartment the first weekend of June. Do you have Facebook? I actually go to uwf in pensacola! I don't live there though!

Which of these off campus housing is better?
1. Jennings Place
2. University Garden
3. The Pointe At Adams Place
4. The Cottages At Magnolia

Does any of you know the earlist move in date too?( before orientation )

Thanks

LOL they need to pay Chris and me. You guys heard all of this from us first...

Make sure you also have about $20 in cash for your name tag...

*edit* yes only go to the pharmacy orientation...

Thanks mission707, u helped a lot!:):)

Which of these off campus housing is better?
1. Jennings Place
2. University Garden
3. The Pointe At Adams Place
4. The Cottages At Magnolia

Does any of you know the earlist move in date too?( before orientation )

Thanks

I know about University Gardens thats where I got my lease at and the move in date for most is August 18. Its cheap and you get your privacy and its not too far from campus. I have a friend there and I stayed there a couple days for my interview and it was nice.

I have a few ideas for housing. Actually I'm going to pick out my actual apartment the first weekend of June. Do you have Facebook? I actually go to uwf in pensacola! I don't live there though!

yes i have a facebook, hit me up, Phylicia Williams Pensacola,Fl .....I would love to hear where you've looked into for housing!

Does anyone know about obtaining scholarships in pharmacy school? I assume it may different than undergrad.

Hello All,

Congrats to all that were accepted!!! Is there anyone that was accepted to the Tallahassee campus willing to switch to the Crestview campus??

Hello All,

Congrats to all that were accepted!!! Is there anyone that was accepted to the Tallahassee campus willing to switch to the Crestview campus??

Can they let us do that if you find someone willing to switch?

I really liked The Pointe at Adam's Pointe. I heard the Cottages has issues with breakins and University Gardens is nice and cheap but they only have 4/4s.

I know about University Gardens thats where I got my lease at and the move in date for most is August 18. Its cheap and you get your privacy and its not too far from campus. I have a friend there and I stayed there a couple days for my interview and it was nice.

So, is the rent for University Gardens included the utilities or we have to pay extra? If yes, how much more?

So, is the rent for University Gardens included the utilities or we have to pay extra? If yes, how much more?

Utilities are u usually an extra 20-30 a month

Last edited:
Does FAMU distribute your financial aid money pretty fast?? I really want to live off campus but want to be able to use my financial aid to pay for rent. I'm just afraid that if I wait too long, I won't have no where to stay.Also, how are the Palmetto apartments and Phase III apartments just in case?

Still no luck for those of us "in waiting." It's killing me telling my friends and patients that I can't get into pharmacy school for the second year in a row.

Have u called them? About being on the waiting list?

Have u called them? About being on the waiting list?
There is no use. Every time I've called, I've been told the same thing. "You will hear something by the date posted on the letter."

Last edited:
There is no use. Every time I've called, I've been told the same thing. "You will here something by the date posted on the letter."

But have u asked if they sent any out??
Cause I'm right there with u waiting

Orientation is in August for us, in Tallahassee. And we must register on line, which there is a fee to be paid first. I think $120 dollars for students. It also states housing can be provided for students. But their family must provide own place to stay. Can some one please confirm that's what they read or heard from the college? I'm so confused right now. :( I'm a Crestview campus student.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using SDN Mobile

Well look at it this way
None of us 3 have heard and we all
On the wait list

Orientation is in August for us, in Tallahassee. And we must register on line, which there is a fee to be paid first. I think $120 dollars for students. It also states housing can be provided for students. But their family must provide own place to stay. Can some one please confirm that's what they read or heard from the college? I'm so confused right now. :( I'm a Crestview campus student.

Dont register for that orientation. Thats for undergrad.

OK thanks. I will not.

Orientation for us is August 19-21. We should be getting a letter with more information shortly.

I called today. They said they were making progress and that's it. So hopefully we'll be hearing something sometime soon!!

So the dress code is business professional or casual professional? Is it only suits or can it be cute tops and skirts? Can we wear bright colors or only neutrals? Only closed toe shoes? Can someone please shed some light on this topic?

Last edited:
So the dress code is business professional or casual professional? Is it only suits or can it be cute tops and skirts? Can we wear bright colors or only neutrals? Only closed toe shoes? Can someone please shed some light on this topic?

Yessssss!!!! I need to know this too.

not sure on the woman, men are easy tie and dress pants,

some woman wear pant suits and then some do seperate tops and slacks, ya'll have way more leeway than the men do.
and colors dont matter and i have seen open toe shoes as well.